Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE cars are dangerous.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the high speed run broke something that started the fire. Lucky day for the speeder, but not for the cop.

Was it actually a fault, or just the hot engine igniting the dry grass on the median? Notice that he reverses back away from the burning patch and tries to put it out with an extinguisher, then more smoke starts under his new position.

Lack of a tendency to cause this problem is a legitimate advantage for EVs, of course.

Was it actually a fault, or just the hot engine igniting the dry grass on the median? Notice that he reverses back away from the burning patch and tries to put it out with an extinguisher, then more smoke starts under his new position.

Lack of a tendency to cause this problem is a legitimate advantage for EVs, of course.

The grass wasn't very tall and it looked like he was driving an SUV type vehicle (a large percentage of US police cars are SUVs). To set fire to grass from just heat requires you to get it up to the flash point and that isn't easy to do. When my sister was doing Geology field work in Utah the catalytic converter started some grass fires, but the converter was in direct contact with the grass because it was very tall, it took at least 15 minutes to get started, and it was the middle of summer in Utah which is considerably drier than Florida ever gets.

The US interior west can go 6-9 months with no rain at all and temps over 100F (around 40C). The relative humidity can get down to 15%, sometimes lower. That's why you hear stories of the bad wild fires in the west. By mid to late summer anything that grew in the rainy season is very dry.

Florida sometimes goes a month or two without rain, but the air never dries out like it does in the west. It is a peninsula surrounded by a relatively shallow sea in the tropics.

I think something like the fuel line sprung a leak and sprayed fuel on the very hot engine. He was driving pretty fast and may have pushed the coolant system to its limits. The fire also seems to stay with the police car, which is another clue the car itself was on fire. I just watched it again and his car was making some expensive noises when he pulled off the road.

Reactions: arg
When Carol Nash heard screams for help, she rushed out of her apartment in her nightgown and found her SUV burning in the parking lot — but couldn't get close enough to save her son, sitting in the driver's seat.

"I could not do anything except stand there and watch him die," Nash told Go Public.

Keith Nash, 48, burned to death on April 19, 2017, in his mother's 2014 Kia Soul while the vehicle was parked outside her low-rise apartment building in Cincinnati, Ohio.

His mother says Kia has never contacted her to explain what happened.

She was devastated when she learned the company issued a recall for the SUV for a potential fire risk in February — two years after her son died.

"I suffer on a daily basis with this because I have no answers," she said.

<snip>
Full article at:
Mother who watched son burn to death in SUV fire joins calls for answers from Kia, Hyundai