Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle fee structure changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just now I was the only Tesla at the Gillette, WY supercharger. Went out this AM to plug in while having breakfast, etc. Fully charged up and didn’t unplug as I was leaving a few minutes later and I was still the only tesla there. Left and get an email a few minutes later I was charged an idle fee for 5 minutes. (Note says since it was my first fee charge it’s waved)

Obviously since I was the only one there and it was 5 minutes, please save the “inconsiderate driver” remarks.

My question is did it change from only being charged a fee if the site is half full or more and you are sitting idle?

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
"Idle fees apply when a Supercharger station is at least 50% full, and double when the station is 100% full"

Supercharger Idle Fee

So there should not have been a fee. Be careful that your Supercharger status on the screen thinks it is not 50% full. That status has not seemed very accurate from reports on TMC. It might also be that a few charging spots weren't working and so showed up as occupied.

All I got was the almost complete message. Didn’t get a message saying it was full but I checked about 15 minutes prior to going to car while eating breakfast and it said 10 minutes left. Didn’t get a message saying fees were incurring either.

The messages since V9 have been very buggy.

Same thing just happened to me. Notification of a waived idle fee at a supercharger where I was 1 of only 2 cars there out of 10 stalls. 3:30 am location was physically empty when I arrived but the map showed almost full. It never had more than 2 cars there. This is not the first time I’ve arrivrd at a location to find the usage on the map did not match the number of cars at the location.

If other companies can keep reliable accurate real time track of their chargers (Chargepoint for example) Tesla has no excuse especially if they intend to fine people.

Just now I was the only Tesla at the Gillette, WY supercharger. Went out this AM to plug in while having breakfast, etc. Fully charged up and didn’t unplug as I was leaving a few minutes later and I was still the only tesla there. Left and get an email a few minutes later I was charged an idle fee for 5 minutes. (Note says since it was my first fee charge it’s waved)

Obviously since I was the only one there and it was 5 minutes, please save the “inconsiderate driver” remarks.

My question is did it change from only being charged a fee if the site is half full or more and you are sitting idle?

Not really related to your policy question, but did you have your charge limit set to 100%? That really gives you a lot of return time flexibility, because the charge rate falls off to a trickle for the last few %.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Been awhile now so can’t say for sure but I probably was. I typically have my charge set to 100% when I’m traveling simply to avoid this kind of stuff, or attempt to.
Huh...I wonder if it's wise to do the opposite, ie. set it to charge to 95% so that you'll get the almost done charging notification sooner. The car continues to draw in more power past 95% so you get a sloooow 5% grace period to move.

Agree that it’s likely an error. But my mentality is to always move and get out no matter how full the supercharger or non-Tesla charger. Not saying in judgement for what you or others do, but for myself has saved me from technical headaches.

Huh...I wonder if it's wise to do the opposite, ie. set it to charge to 95% so that you'll get the almost done charging notification sooner. The car continues to draw in more power past 95% so you get a sloooow 5% grace period to move.

It doesn't matter. The "almost done" notification always comes at 80%, regardless of the set limit. If you are navigating, you may get an "enough to continue" notification before or after 80%. But if you are using ABRP or some other external tool, you just need to monitor the numbers to continue on.

If I am on a road trip, I always move the charge limit over to 100% and forget about it. I rarely ever charge to the limit, but it gives me some additional headroom to know I have at least 20 to 30 ,minutes beyond the "almost done" notice.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf