Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla would just stop innovating so fast, people would be happier.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
The amount of tears in recent days has shown me that a lot of Tesla owners are not very intelligent, not very wise, and not very good at money management. None of those three things are apparently needed as a litmus test to buy a car from Tesla. Just access to money. Either earned (less likely from some of the responses) or gifted (most likely from the entitled attitudes and lack of common sense.) People that would just piss away 15k to trade in a one day Tesla, to turn around and buy the same car with an additional 5k on top, and wait another 3-4 months for delivery really offends my sensibilities. Worst than shooting yourself in the foot is complaining that Tesla forced you to shoot yourself in the foot. <face palm>

I cannot comprehend that people who can afford a $74,000 for a stripped down Model S60 with AP does not realize:

The moment you ordered your car, it will already be obsolete. New things are in the R&D Pipeline, and always in the pipeline.

The only way for Tesla to make people happy is to to establish model generations. And within the same generations, have ZERO innovation. Tesla Model 3a is fixed from 2017 to 2021. No upgrades no improvements. Tesla Model 3b is fixed from 2021 to 2026.

Cars would be cheaper as they get closer to the next generation.

Everyone wants innovation. When it comes, you actually hate it.

Amen. I always thought Tesla owners had to be some of the most intelligent people out there because they understood what is being done by this company was the future and this was necessary for our children and beyond. Now I think there are still a lot of those people but there are also just people who are all about the image/prestige and are prone to adult temper tantrums. These people will hate the model 3 because it will allow the plebian masses to experience the car they paid 2-3 times as much for only a year or two before. So tired of all the whining every time a new feature comes out, a existing feature gets dropped, or a price changes. These people should have bought a Volkswagen Beetle, although even those changes once every 10-20 years might upset some of them: "I have this crappy split oval rear window and my neighbor has a much better view out of his new style one!"

Reactions: traxila and Zroiron
I think the bellyaching is mostly over. Lesse u got:

Dual motors
Awd
100 kWh battery
300 mile range
0 to 60 in 2.5 with ludicrous?
And now drum roll...
Hardware for level 5 autonomy.

Think improvement from here will be incremental. Not that people won't complain. People are...

Driving my 2013 RWD classic 85. My mirror don't even self fold. What a damn fine automobile. What a pleasure to drive. Wish they had left the music interface alone....

And in less than a year I should take delivery or a car that is faster, has AWD and autonomous lvl 5 capabilities for - wait for it - for about HALF the price. Seriously who is better than me?

Paid for a sig X ludicrous for my wife. She loves it. Fears the AP will not use it. Lol.

Financing the Model 3 for everyone and loving it! When that car hits the road... demand will be endless.

A gentleman who uses Man Math to justify a purchase from Tesla without factoring in their rate of innovation will get kicked in the residuals.

AFAIK Tesla Glass is last(?) major tech innovation still to come but I have no idea if that's true.

I have AP1, I got what I ordered and am happy with it. I look forward to upgrading to a newer car at some point in the future. I think their rapid pace of technology is awesome, and they should continue to push the boundaries. The ones that must really hate it are the other car companies that are so far behind and now will be forced to pour much more money into R & D to catch up. If there wasn't a Tesla there wouldn't not be other companies coming out with EVs that went beyond 100 miles for quite some time.

A gentleman who uses Man Math to justify a purchase from Tesla without factoring in their rate of innovation will get kicked in the residuals.

AFAIK Tesla Glass is last(?) major tech innovation still to come but I have no idea if that's true.
There is a planned upgrade with more processing power and lower power usage. Yet, level 5 should be level 5.

Level 5, if you really read it, doesn't really say the level of safety. Elon said he wants this system to be at least two times better than a human. The future system, he wants to be 10 times better than a human.

• Informative
Reactions: malcolm
While of course I would love to have the latest and greatest Tesla features and accessories, I occasionally need to stop for a moment and remind myself that I already have the biggest, best and most impressive technology that the company offers.... an all electric drivetrain with practical range and excellent performance!! All of the rest with exception perhaps of autonomous driving, is really noise by comparison.
In a few years when the autonomous driving is actually activated, Tesla will have created the most compelling reason to want a newer car IMHO.

The amount of tears in recent days has shown me that a lot of Tesla owners are not very intelligent, not very wise, and not very good at money management. None of those three things are apparently needed as a litmus test to buy a car from Tesla. Just access to money. Either earned (less likely from some of the responses) or gifted (most likely from the entitled attitudes and lack of common sense.) People that would just piss away 15k to trade in a one day Tesla, to turn around and buy the same car with an additional 5k on top, and wait another 3-4 months for delivery really offends my sensibilities. Worst than shooting yourself in the foot is complaining that Tesla forced you to shoot yourself in the foot. <face palm>

I cannot comprehend that people who can afford a $74,000 for a stripped down Model S60 with AP does not realize:

The moment you ordered your car, it will already be obsolete. New things are in the R&D Pipeline, and always in the pipeline.

The only way for Tesla to make people happy is to to establish model generations. And within the same generations, have ZERO innovation. Tesla Model 3a is fixed from 2017 to 2021. No upgrades no improvements. Tesla Model 3b is fixed from 2021 to 2026.

Cars would be cheaper as they get closer to the next generation.

Everyone wants innovation. When it comes, you actually hate it.

Let me guess you barley afforded a Tesla
and/or
Drink Tesla koolaid on a regular basis

Tesla cares about making money... would it have been that hard to equip p100d with 2.0 or give them the wiring to make it retrofitable?

Come on.. Tesla does not care about you.. why do you care so much about Tesla?

Fortunately, this isn't true. They have things they're looking at right now that we know nothing about. They'll show up in 2021 and we'll be amazed at their innovation. Innovation is their core strength, and integration of multiple innovations is a connected to that. Not simply electric drivetrains or autonomous software or...

Reactions: malcolm
and/or

Tesla cares about making money... would it have been that hard to equip p100d with 2.0 or give them the wiring to make it retrofitable?

He sold grain in order to subsidize his automotive purchase? And a publicly held company that wants to turn a profit? Blasphemy. You know what's refreshing about Tesla? The don't hide the fact that today's customers are necessary and those higher profits we provide are needed to get to the model 3. The model 3 is what this company is really about: getting affordable mass market EV's in the hands of customers. And making a profit is still going to be important at that point as well.

Reactions: MXWing
and/or

You could see it as 'barley afford' - or you could see it as 'challenge to justify a purchase' when a $300/month loaded Volt gets you to point a -> b for 1/5th of the payments.

Tesla cares about money = Tesla is evil.
Complainers only care that 'their' Tesla is not as good as their neighbors Tesla. This is the heart of the issue. This is selfish, and short sighted. Who is more evil? Tesla is actually honest and upfront about their goals. Unlike the consumers, Tesla is accountable to shareholders. They have to justify the right to keep the lights on, otherwise no one gets a Model S, a Model X or a Model 3.

It boggles me how some of you can afford to get inside a Tesla in the first place with no understanding of how companies work, how R&D works, and how the manufacturing process works.

Tesla is under no obligation to retrofit P100Ds or any other car. No one ask this of any car manufacturer. Why does Tesla have to do what no one else does? Any other car, when you buy it, you are done - except for retrofitting new map data for your onboard GPS.

The R&D process for AP2 might have only been at 10% once the specifications for AP1 was finalized. AP2 is not all software - there is a hardware component. You cannot design a car chassis around AP2 when you have no idea what it takes to actually put it into the car. I am guessing it wasn't until May/June until they actually figured out to implement AP2 and set things in motion for November/December deliveries to standardize new hardware on a new chassis.

So when you ask "How hard is it for Tesla to allow retrofits?"

The answer is "very hard",

I really expect more sensibility from anyone who is fortunate enough to own a Tesla. Whether they can buy an entire fleet or 'barley afford just one' makes no difference.

Those who do not have the means yet to own a Tesla but are smart enough to drink the Tesla Kool-Aid, and understand the ingredients behind the Kool-Aid will eventually get to enjoy nice things like some of have been fortunate to be able to do so.

That's a bit harsh. Not everyone who buys a Tesla is trolling TMC and is aware of the potential "future rumors". I think everyone here has experienced this sort of angst of buying something and then having it superseded in a few days/weeks/months. Its like trying to find parking and finally scoring a spot 100 yards away and when you're about 10 feet from the store, 2 spots open up. Or you go to supermarket checkout line, then 2 aisle's over a new register opens up and takes everyone from the next aisle. In life, you learn to deal with it and move on, other's get emotional and get riled up. We can brush off the parking and the checkout registers, but on six-figure purchase then emotions get involved.

On the other hand, Tesla is also pissing off customers to simply push more sales. They introduced the P100D's to push more Q3 sales and profit in order to shore up books and please investors so that he can acquire Solar City. But, they did this well knowing that AP2.0 was right around the corner.

In just 7 weeks from that announcement they announce non-retrofittable AP2.0. They could have waited and announced both, but Elon's goal to push Q3 numbers overruled the customer experience angle to bundle both together. Seriously, did they not think this would piss their most wealthy clientele dropping $150-$160K on the P100D's? If this was 4, 5, or 6 months apart, fine, but we're talking weeks.

The back-handed good news that people should take away from AP2.0 is that it's a paper release. It's really not functional yet. This is Elon's Q4 sales tactic to boost sales in Q4. In January, Tesla has an event at the Gigafactory, new cells? new packs? and I'm sure there will be several more quarterly-ish announcements before they begin Model 3 production.

I'd just sit back and wait until AP2.0 is ACTUALLY delivering on what it promises and enjoy your car then upgrade/trade in. Remember AP1.0 and "D" event and how long before AP lane keeping assist was finally delivered? A whole year.

Reactions: xborg and number12