TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

If the Model 3 Is Self-Driving, Would You "Share" a Model 3 with Other Drivers?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by thefuturenow, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
?

Would you share a self-driving Model 3 over buying if the option was available?

1. Yes, I would be interested in a car-sharing service.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I would definitely consider buying a Model 3 with a friend/family member if it were self-driving.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. No matter what I'd rather own it.

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. thefuturenow

thefuturenow Member

The vast majority of the time a car is spending its life parked and not-in-use. If the Model 3 were truly self-driving, it could break that mold and I expect many services will attempt to cash in on multiple drivers sharing a collection of Model 3 vehicles -- if not Tesla itself offering such an option at some point. Why pay $400/month when you could split the cost with multiple users? Unless of course you're spending a lot of your day on the road. Or heck, if you could work it out with your friends/family such that it would work out for both of your work schedules, why not share a Model 3 with a buddy? After the Model 3 drops him off at work, it could come back to take you to work then back to pick him up.

Car-sharing services will be in full effect. With the rise of Uber, why not pay a fraction of the price to share a Model 3?

2. UKayla

UKayla Member

As of now, even if it's just going to be a shiny hunk of glass and metal sitting there most of the time, I want it to be MY shiny hunk of glass and metal. Everyone else can get their own..

@ me in 30 years and we'll see.

3. MarcCBR

MarcCBR Member

I feel the same way. I take meticulous care of my vehicles. I can't stand the slightest scratch or dent. I wouldn't wont another person driving my vehicle that didn't care.

4. thefuturenow

thefuturenow Member

I assume any respectable car-sharing program would ensure cars remain in mint condition, and that you wouldn't get the exact same Model 3 each time if it was through a service.

I.e. you could be sharing thirty Model 3 vehicles with a hundred people in your area.

5. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

No, I would not share my car with anyone else. I think people feel attached to cars...

Do you want other people's bodily fluids in your car? Basically since you can't tell, you have to assume it. I think almost everyone would answer no to that question. So no to the general question.

• Like x 1