Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you cancel your Powerwall 2 order - Be Aware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After requesting information on the Powerwall 1 and never hearing anything further, I ordered a Powerwall 2 as soon as it was possible and paid my deposit. After a very long wait, I was finally contacted by Solar City and arranged for a site survey. The guy who came out to do the survey knew absolutely nothing about the Powerwall and said he was only there to measure and take a lot of pictures. He spent most of the time trying to figure out and document the path they would take when they delivered the thing.

A couple of weeks later, I got the proposal, which was a lot higher than expected and included the requirement for a "panel upgrade" for $2,000. They also said the Powerwall couldn't be installed near my inverters, where the PV installers had left plenty of room for it. They also said it would be difficult to back up any of my critical loads that were on a subpanel in another location because they would have to run new electrical lines to a new subpanel (load center?) near the new main panel and the Powerwall. In order to ask any clarifying questions, I had to go through an intermediary who couldn't answer them, but could forward them to someone who could and I'd have an answer withing about six days. And if I had any follow-up questions, I'd have to go through the same ridiculous process. If they would have allowed me to speak to a knowledgable person, I could have had all of my questions answered within about five minutes, tops.

So, out of frustration, I canceled the order and figured might place it again if and when they got their act together. That was on May 22. The "My Tesla" page showed that the cancellation had been received and was "in process". When there was no status change after over six weeks, I called this morning and after being transferred a few times, finally was transferred to Solar City "customer service" who researched the order for about 10 minutes before coming back and saying that the order had been canceled but their personnel hadn't done it properly so it didn't get sent to "accounting" for processing, but that it would be submitted now, and after the approval process was completed, I could expect a refund in another six weeks after that. I just went back to my "My Tesla" page and the order now showed that it was active again and when I tried to cancel it AGAIN, and wrote out the reasons detailed above and pushed the SUBMIT button only to be told that "something went wrong" and the cancellation couldn't be processed. So I started over and simply stated the reason for cancellation is that they were idiots, and it took that. So maybe in six or eight or twelve weeks I might get my deposit back. So, if you ever cancel an order, don't wait patiently like I did and be sure to follow up way sooner. Good luck!

Does this mean more bigger amperes such as from current 100A to 200A or from current 200A to 400A...?

Since I already had a 200A main panel, they said it needed an upgrade because the meter needs to be separate from the breaker part of the panel. Even though my meter appears to be in its own enclosure and the breakers are in a separate panel next to the meter panel, they said that wasn't good enough and I'd need their new $2,000 panel in order to install the Powerwall.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
The guy was evidently no qualified to do the job. I ordered power wall 1, I got no where. I gave up and cancel order.
No one at any level fully understands 220v , 100 amp service, or how dual chargers work, OR don't work.
My electrician told me it was impossible to install 100 amp circuit breaker for my dual chargers, need totally additional line to house.
He said the power company would charge me thousands. Not.

The $2000 for panel "replacement" sounds reasonable to me. Installation costs for Tesla seem too low to be true unless non-conventional business approaches are used. They are surely sending in less knowledgeable "green" folks as a cost saving measure to simply document the house and then routing site data to a dedicated team of system designers using hard documentation to prepare drawings for the permitting. I feel this is the way business should be done to make leaps and bounds in efficiency and cost savings. The $2000 is not for an upgrade, and yeah it's $1500 "Engineering Advance" payment to PG&E to get started for service upgrades.

OP: Which solar system/inverter did you go with? If you went with SolarEdge then look into their StorEdge solution. You can add it to almost any of their inverters. I ended up going that route after getting tired of dealing with Tesla on the powerwalls.

Edit: My powerwall cancellation was painless but it did take quite a while to get the refunds.

@doubleohwhat I went with the SolarEdge SE7600 inverter that was specified by Tesla for the Powerwall 1 (which I tried in vein to obtain). Solar City told me that the Powerwall 2 could not be connected to that inverter and that I had to use the internal inverter built into the Powerwall 2 instead. Thanks for the tip on the StorEdge. I will look into that one.

@doubleohwhat Thanks again for the info and the link. It looks like that could be a way better and easier solution for me, as I'm primarily looking for backup capability. I'm already on full Net Metering and TOU with SCE so there's really not much more to gain there. The LG battery is available locally for about $6k as you said. I think the only other thing I'd need is an autotransformer which is less than $300. I will definitely pursue that solution.

After requesting information on the Powerwall 1 and never hearing anything further, I ordered a Powerwall 2 as soon as it was possible and paid my deposit. After a very long wait, I was finally contacted by Solar City and arranged for a site survey. The guy who came out to do the survey knew absolutely nothing about the Powerwall and said he was only there to measure and take a lot of pictures. He spent most of the time trying to figure out and document the path they would take when they delivered the thing.
<snip>

I apologize in advance for the long post

Getting my 2 PW2 units installed tomorrow. I'm using SolarCity because they are in house for Tesla and I assumed (incorrectly) that they would have their act together. It turned out that they were as inexperienced as anyone and required MUCH handholding. My install was complicated by the fact that I wanted 3 units (more on that later) and I wanted in on the California SGIP rebate. These are the complications I ran into:

1) SGIP for residential is topped out at 10kW max power delivery capability. 3 units would have put me at 15 kW. I didn't hear from SC for a while so I contacted them. I finally received information that they were confused and I wouldn't be able to be a part of the SGIP rebate. After much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth we figured came to an agreement that they would to the project in two phases. Two panels for primary installation and SGIP purposes and then a second phase to install the third after the first phase was blessed off and inspected by everyone, including the state (perhaps). It was agreed that the third unit would go in without any further additional installation charges, only the cost of the unit less my deposit. No paper but lots of promises. I'm hoping for the best as everyone I have dealt with has been "singing from the same hymn book" so to speak.

2) During the design phase, I too, was told that a panel upgrade would be necessary. Not what I wanted to hear since I had only just finished an upgrade from a standard 200A panel to a PV rated 200A panel to better support my HPWC for the model S. I was unable to get a real answer from the non-tech types that I was dealing with for the PW2 process but when the electrician showed up for the actual installation walk through I finally understood. Since I was installing a whole house battery system as opposed to a emergency back up power scheme they would need to install the gateway unit between the meter and the breakers and batteries to allow for automatic isolation when grid power is lost. That is for the protection of people working on the lines as well as my own equipment. Makes perfect sense. We ended up agreeing NOT to rip out my new panel but I will get an additional load panel on the side of the house where all my breakers (except my PV breaker) will move to. Additional panel rolled into normal install costs and panel upgrade costs removed from estimate. Yay.

I'm getting 3 panels in order to meet the ~12kW supply requirements of the HPWC at 48A and to assure some measure of future proofing if I decide to migrate to a more electrically powered home away from nat gas. In addition, that large of a capacity will allow me to easily be able to schedule power usage from the grid to be almost exclusively during off-peak hours. That's critical since I will be forced onto TOU as a part of this project.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them

Last edited by a moderator: