Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you HAD to convince someone to not get a Tesla, what would you say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Low.

The system worked fine until the software update, Service Centers refuse to do anything about software update complaints, so no, I have not taken it to a service center.

Keith
Convinces me that I will hold off on full self-driving upgrade from enhanced autopilot. Am I correct in assuming you've got a 2020 or 2021 with the new hardware? I've had some Phantom braking episodes, but none this serious, and since dialing down the Collision warning setting they've become almost nonexistent. I've also got the older 2.5 computer hardware. But I do drive while in autopilot with my foot hovering over the gas pedal. Paradoxically.

Convinces me that I will hold off on full self-driving upgrade from enhanced autopilot. Am I correct in assuming you've got a 2020 or 2021 with the new hardware? I've had some Phantom braking episodes, but none this serious, and since dialing down the Collision warning setting they've become almost nonexistent. I've also got the older 2.5 computer hardware. But I do drive while in autopilot with my foot hovering over the gas pedal. Paradoxically.
dfwatt, as a HW 2.5 car are you constantly getting updates that futz around with how TACC or Auto Steer work?

Mine is a 2021 vision only car, HW 3.0 I have to reiterate here, this is 100% a software issue... and I can't wait for HW 4.0 to come out because I honestly think they will stop futzing around with the software for HW3.0 after they abandon the idea of doing "real" FSD on HW 3.0 and then they will sort of stabilize the way Auto Pilot works on the HW 3.0 cars and let us get on with our lives.

Keith

dfwatt, as a HW 2.5 car are you constantly getting updates that futz around with how TACC or Auto Steer work?

Mine is a 2021 vision only car, HW 3.0 I have to reiterate here, this is 100% a software issue... and I can't wait for HW 4.0 to come out because I honestly think they will stop futzing around with the software for HW3.0 after they abandon the idea of doing "real" FSD on HW 3.0 and then they will sort of stabilize the way Auto Pilot works on the HW 3.0 cars and let us get on with our lives.

Keith
Hi Keith

Not as far as I can tell. I haven't seen a big change in our enhanced autopilot (halfway to FSD) for quite a while. It has gotten gradually better. What's the difference between Hardware 3.0 and Hardware 4.0?

I can only speak from personal experience with Tesla so far:
  • Charging network needs a lot of work still - and it's the best in the industry! Probably single biggest problem for EV mass adoption. Navigation excludes non-Tesla charging points - you have to use a third-party app for those (PlugShare). Also, going to a non-Tesla charger won't pre-condition the battery. There are some tricks to get around this - in some cases. For every 2 hours of driving, plan on stopping for 20 minutes of charging - this might make long road trips impractical.
  • Lack of CarPlay/Android Auto integration. Tesla's entertainment system is one of the better ones, but I still prefer CarPlay. I think it should at least be an option.
  • Road noise - this has been getting better and I think you notice it more in an EV. Still quieter than my Corolla.
  • QA/QC issues - they are getting much better. Check recent "quality check" videos on YouTube. Other auto makers have this too, so this isn't exclusive to Tesla - just feels stupid buying a $60k car with panel gaps. Tesla will fix any issues you find within a 2-day grace period after delivery.
  • Tesla support is hit or miss. I've had some questions but no one has called me back in 2 days - no agents available on chat during that time. Other times have been pretty good.
  • Hard to compare to non-EV cars. They aren't fully luxury despite the price tag nor are they performance cars - but they are beat most street cars available - so it is hard to know exactly how much you are paying to go fully EV vs ICE.
  • Expensive. I have been told that you can get less expensive trims if you order "off menu." I personally think they are completely worth it, but I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a $60k car. Not all states or areas have incentives to help out.
  • Some extras - like you'll probably want to PPF the front (~$1500)
  • App as a key doesn't always work, key fob is an option but at $175 each.
  • Repairs can take a while, especially if not on the west coast
  • Screen can go out while driving. It is rare, but since nearly all controls are on the screen it can make it annoying. You have to reset the screen to change anything. However, it won't prevent the car from driving.
  • FSD is still very beta and probably years away from level 5. Unless you are a road warrior, might consider the subscription just when you need it.
I would highly recommend anyone seriously considering a Tesla go test drive several of them (if you can) - like the LR and Performance of the models you are most likely to buy. This confirmed my desire for the LR trim of the Model Y after trying the Model 3 and performance trims.

With all that said, none of these points were major show stoppers for me. I understand we are still in the "early adopter" phase of EVs. I have an ICE minivan for major family road trips, so an EV is the perfect second car - which will be mostly local commute with occasional short-range road trips. I do expect major advances for EVs in the next few years - which will usher in mass adoption within the next decade.

Reactions: dfwatt and Daekwan
4.0 will remove the interface with radar to save cost.
I am on radarless HW 3.0 Where did you get the idea that removing radar was HW 4.0?

To answer dfwatt, HW 4.0 will have a more advanced computer, and other un-specified at this time enhancements over what HW 3.0 cars have. People have SPECULATED that it will have additional cameras on the front corners, so the car can see to the sides when it is making a turn at an intersection on city streets... once again, this is pure SPECULATION.

Keith

Reactions: dfwatt