Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you knew then...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not an owner (yet) but have been studying all of my options and weighing all of the pros and cons and wanted to ask all of you my neighbors, if you knew then what you know now after owning a Tesla would you;
  • do it again?
  • buy CPO or new?
  • wait for the newest hottness Model 3?
I know $$ is a factor in these questions but let's assume I could make any of the options above work, what would you recommend?

Thank you all and I look forward to hanging out soon at the cool events you host.
JL

I'm not an owner (yet) but have been studying all of my options and weighing all of the pros and cons and wanted to ask all of you my neighbors, if you knew then what you know now after owning a Tesla would you;
  • do it again?
  • buy CPO or new?
I know $$ is a factor in these questions but let's assume I could make any of the options above work, what would you recommend?

Thank you all and I look forward to hanging out soon at the cool events you host.
JL
Hi, neighbor! My parents and sister both live in Safety Harbor...

If you poke around in the general forums here, you'll notice in people's signature line at the bottom of their posts something interesting...many have purchased multiple Teslas, most of them the same model. Like...ME. I ordered my first S sight unseen, never saw one in person...back in 2013. It didn't have parking sensors, no auto folding mirrors, no autopilot...it was the best car I've ever owned. Until...I sold it as I ordered my second one! More range, plus all that missing stuff.

CPO is a great way to go, if you can find one with everything you want. I refuse to settle or be patient, so ordering new was my only option. But there are definitely some great deals to be had with CPOs, and those cars drive the same as new so...why not? I know a few people who bought CPOs, and they are just as happy as new car owners.

I could never stand the long wait for the 3, but that's just me!

Considering what I have actually done:
1. Buy the latest greatest P85D even though it is much larger than I wish;
2. Reserve two Model 3 before any idea what it might actually be;
3. Seriously think about P100D while I wait .

Above all reflect on the reality that I have never felt such commitment to a brand, car or anything else. FWIW, I have had >50 cars including Alfa, BMW, Citroen, Datsun, Ferrrari, Honda, Infiniti, jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes...and others.
Now I will buy other Tesla models, but have zero inclination to another car brand.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
i have owned pretty much most of the performance euro and asian brands. This was my first American car, i mean this is my third American made car, the two others were also Tesla Model S's. Now i am trying justify a P100D but will wait a couple of years and pick up a used one, unless Tesla comes up with an owner loyalty program that makes sense. So far a $45,000 delta over my current P85+ makes no sense as this car smokes 99.98% of everything on the road. i have yet to run into a P100D and thats the remaining .02% of the market that can compete with my car. Love this car! my wife loves hers and both kids are begging for us to get a 3. moving back to normal car is just a horrible experience.. we won't be buying anything else that isn't electric. we drove my mothers in laws new Toyota Avalon and i thought something was really wrong it was such a dog and felt like driving a riding lawnmower with the noise, no power and crappy interfaces. We call gas cars Fred Flintstonemobiles now in our house. the three is interesting but not compelling yet... the Y with its hatchback is much more compelling as long as they don't do the X wing doors and non-folding seats.

Thank you all for the insight! I have a test drive scheduled for Thursday and I will report back what I decide to do.
What are your needs as far as range? I went with the s100d, mostly due to occasional weekend trips and I wanted the performance kick. Now the s75d is pretty similar in performance but I've done some trips not possible in a 75. Specifically, out and back trips to nowhere to drop kids off at camp.

If they hit the end of 2017 supercharger rollout (they won't on time), I would survive just fine with the s75d.

2015 S and 2017 X. Oops, we did it again! ;)

100% Tesla EVs. No more ICE. No regrets. Just been doing several long distance drives and lovin' it. Better with AP. Wife loves the slacker radio. Love waking up with a full charge and Never going to gas stations again (except to use the restroom).

We bought new, custom models. Configured it just the way we wanted. Also we wanted the Model X's Falcon Wing doors and flat entry/exit for the kids in the back. Don't forget to check out the BioHazard Defense Mode, it's great!

Love my plain white non autopilot 85. Do I want a P100D. Yup. Did I order a Model 3 on day 1. Yup. What am I really really waiting for? Something with a rated range of 425+ miles so that I can pretty much always count on 350 or so. I figure the speed will come along with whatever battery gets me there.

Quick is fun, but skipping 2 Superchargers is what I am looking forward to.

You will never want a non EV again.

Reactions: EinSV and CliffG
What are your needs as far as range? I went with the s100d, mostly due to occasional weekend trips and I wanted the performance kick. Now the s75d is pretty similar in performance but I've done some trips not possible in a 75. Specifically, out and back trips to nowhere to drop kids off at camp.

If they hit the end of 2017 supercharger rollout (they won't on time), I would survive just fine with the s75d.

work milage is less than 20 miles/day and trips to in-laws and disney are around 140 and 90 miles, im thinking a 75 will do me there

I bought a CPO P85 as a sort of stopgap until I could buy a Model 3. Now, I love the S so much we just bought a second CPO (newer, fancier). I will re-evaluate the 3 vs S when my car is towards the end of its warranty around 100k miles.

I love the price of a CPO, but hate the process. I could never have justified a fully loaded new P85D, but a few years old is much more palatable. The CPO process itself is long (sometimes longer than ordering new custom), and involves lots of radio silence from your salesperson on current status. Either way, the savings are well worth the hassle as I have done it twice and will probably continue to buy CPOs.

Reactions: Lu Ann
  • do it again?
  • buy CPO or new?

JL
Welcome to the forums.

I bought a Signature Model S and recently traded it in for a new Model S. I prefer configuring a new car and I would likely do the same thing in the future. I have a reservation for a Model 3 as a possible second car.

However, I believe that now is a great time to buy a CPO because Tesla is anti-selling the Model 3 and they are slashing the price of used Teslas as a result. I seriously doubt there will be a similar opportunity to buy CPO Teslas at such a discount after the Model 3 backlog is addressed. After you buy a suitable CPO, you always have the option of trading it in for a fully optioned Model 3 at a later date.

Larry

We have a Feb 1015 Model S85 and loved it so much that I traded in my 2014 Range Rover Fully Loaded Supercharger for a Fully Loaded Model X P100D. I picked it up as "new inventory" with a savings of $30k with only 1500 miles on it. The only thing I didn't get was AP2 which was a bonus for me cause I am extremely happy with our AP1 Model S. I didn't want to have to wait for all the features to get turned on and all the bugs to get sorted out like we did with AP1. Other bonuses were lifetime supercharging for free and ventilated seats. The seats weren't even listed as a feature when I bought it.

After everyone's replies and my test drive last week I have put down a deposit on new inventory 75d model S. Have to wait until tomorrow for finance to get finalized and hopefully get an estimated delivery date. I will keep everyone updated and pics to come.
Let me know when you take delivery and I'll organize a meet up with some other local owners so you can show it off!

Reactions: Larry Chanin
IMG_1753.JPG

Tentative delivery this Wednesday 10am. It's getting very real. Can't wait!

Let me know when you take delivery and I'll organize a meet up with some other local owners so you can show it off!

Screenshot_2017-07-23-07-24-19.png
View attachment 237261
Tentative delivery this Wednesday 10am. It's getting very real. Can't wait!
If it's not raining and I can get some folks to come out in this heat, would you be able/want to do the car show at Quaker Steak on 49th St Thursday? It's from 4-8pm. You do need to get there as close to 4 as you can, though...if you want to park in the coned off show area.

Reactions: Leightyrx
View attachment 237274
If it's not raining and I can get some folks to come out in this heat, would you be able/want to do the car show at Quaker Steak on 49th St Thursday? It's from 4-8pm. You do need to get there as close to 4 as you can, though...if you want to park in the coned off show area.

As usual, I am going to be out of town this Thursday or I would have tried to make it. You folks have fun!