Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my two vehicles (one electric)

ZcETk9Y.jpg

2008 GMC Yukon XL
In the last 20 years I have had 2 cars! Before the Yukon was a Ford conversion van. Actually a third car. 1986 Corvette but that was just for fun. Garaged and only used in nice weather. So for 20 years I have driven gas guzzlers w/o guilt :) We have come to a point though where we must reduce oil consumption in the USA.
So, I do have solar panels on my house, plan on getting Tesla Powerwall and my Model 3 which I am very excited about. Now if the Model 3 was another go-cart EV I would be getting a BMW 535i.
I will be going from 12.5 MPG to a plug-in generated by solar.......in other words FREE :)

bgarcia and Booga,

Yes, nice to know I'm not alone as well. Nice to have both the financial as well as the emotional freedom to break with the normal plan of conserving resources, when the need arises. ;>

I was remembering today my initial impulse to buy a BEV. I've gotten hung up in the excitement of driving an electric car, but before I even knew about the excitement, the original motivation was to complete a plan to be fully self sufficient. Without getting into all my paranoia about the grid and the future of the economy, let me just say I live in a community where folks feel more comfortable making for themselves the things needed in daily life. That ranges from growing our own food (as practical) to making our own power.

It is of course a lot easier for the do it yourselfer to make electricity than to make gasoline. So the idea of having a way to get to town and back under any circumstances very much appeals to me, and that is why I didn't mind paying a premium for an electric vehicle.

Afterwards the other perks came into focus... the torque, the fun, the savings on maint. and fuel, the panache ... and believe or not my current fave feature of going electric, the thing I think about, with glee, almost daily, is that I can stop being a GAS SLAVE. We are paying close to $1 gallon on taxes here in sunny California, they are now adding cap & trade taxes on, and I'm finding that the unbridled joy of being able to break free of a system I (we) had no choice but to be bound to... well that alone is worth the premium $$ of going electric.

Cheers

Coming from a lightly modded 2007 saturn ion. it has 200HP and gets around 40MPG. I wanted my next car to be faster (while it's not amazingly fast, it's close to the redline's roughly 6 second 0-60 time), at least as efficient, safer, and nicer. I was looking at the audi a4, and having a jetta am fairly confident I could get 40 out of the 2L, since I can easily get it out of the 2.5, or the chevy malibu, which I have some experience with those engines in cruze rentals.

While I was in the middle of looking at these cars, my wife mentioned that tesla was coming out with an "affordable" model. I thought it was a rumor, or hoax. I looked into it, and sure enough, it was true! I always admired the teslas, and knew to a small degree how practical they could be as a car, not just a toy, so I started digging. I told the wife about this and we were both sold. the only thing that might keep me from driving it everywhere I want is a complete lack of chargers up here. I could easily take it to chicago and back (probably eventually milwaukee) for repairs (which seem like acceptably seldom occurrences) or services, but to take it to the mackinac bridge is just plain unfeasible unless at least one supercharger is put in on the way (there isn't even one standard j1772 plug, just 110V outlets on ev friendly businesses), or makes the range of the 3 400 miles. I could probably make it happen on 300 miles of rated range, but I doubt based on the past models such a range will be offered on the 3 or it will be very expensive.

At any rate, I digress. The model 3's screen is in roughly the same location as my current instrument panel/radio arrangement, so this car looks like it will be plenty familiar to use from an ergonomics standpoint, and I look forward to having a little more room in the car without bumping up a size class (one thing I don't like about the malibu and mazda 6) I just hope tesla can deliver on reliability (one thing I love about my ion) and cost of ownership isn't as high as the jetta (user changeable fluids at least a possibility?), and definitely hopefully not the $600 a year figure (or even every other year) I've seen on the internet as the model s' cost.

I'll be upgrading from either my 2002 Honda Civic, or if we decide to replace my wife's car before the Model ≡ arrives which is likely, I'll be replacing her 2005 Honda Civic. Luxury vehicles, I know. ;)

She wants a Subaru Crosstrek for the increased ride height, functionality of AWD, a bit of cargo room, and still somewhat respectable mileage. Since she only commutes ~15 minutes each way, the 26/34 mileage won't hurt too badly... hell, our civics only average about 29-31 in real world driving anyway.

For me, the primary reason for choosing an electric is that since we're a 2 car urban household, at least one all electric car just economic and environmental sense. I'd prefer two electrics, but for now my wife isn't convinced we don't need a longer range car for our hiking/outdoors trips. I'm trying to lure her into a Model S test drive so she sees just what it means to have an electric drivetrain. I suspect it'll change her outlook, based on what people say about test driving a Tesla... For myself, I'm not entirely opposed to one more ICE vehicle. I believe the costs for BEV will come down substantially in the next decade and the range will increase such that 6-8 years from now when we likely replace the crosstrek, range & cost will be low enough to justify an all electric household. Plus, since our house doesn't have the available amperage to feed two high powered chargers simultaneously, and retrofitting it would likely cost $3-5k, we can't really take that on as well right now.

My primary reason for choosing the Model ≡ specifically is because I expect it to be a better electric car than anything out there. And I think Elon Musk is one of the great visionaries of our time and he's doing some very important things. He's gone to great personal effort and taken on substantial personal risk in his efforts, and I can respect that. I believe he's 100% right in his supposition that it's way past time to upend the ICE & Energy Industries as well as the Dealership model. I don't see many people out there with the commitment or vision to actually pull that off. I'd like to support that vision, but up until now there wasn't a car I could afford from Tesla, and I don't honestly have the drive or ingenuity to contribute to it as an employee. ;)

I've owned a 1967 Corvair that I bought new for about 42% of the time cars have existed (based on 1900)!! YIKES!!

The Model 3 will replace a 2009 Aveo.

My current cars are: 1965 Chevy Corvair, 2007 Trailblazer 5.3 V8 and Nissan Versa (will be replaced by the Model 3)

Attachments

• Ripon-2016.jpg
    Ripon-2016.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Ripon Car show 2015 Tesla-2.jpg
    Ripon Car show 2015 Tesla-2.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Tesla-3.JPG
    Tesla-3.JPG
    433.4 KB · Views: 29
2010 Scion xB. I just clocked 100k miles on it and had to smog it the first time. It was a nightmare.

I have been eyeing the new wrx (I have always wanted one) but I drive 100+miles per day. I started looking at EV as a few of my coworkers have purchased Volts or drive hybrids. But I wanted all electric or nothing.

I am also a car guy (10 years in custom car audio and alarm) and I can not drive something that I don't visually love. I'm all for wierd and different (my xb).

The model 3 is just sexy. It's fast. And with the awd drive upgrade it will match what I wanted from the wrx minus the awesome sound. But an even more awesome sound will be not dropping 400/mo into gas. I stead in looking to roll that or less into my car payment.

I preordered last weekend and will be teat driving the S in the near future just to get a feel for the tesla brand.

Now to wait for 2 years...