Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
09 Jeep Rubicon - too many modifications to list.
197 miles of range. Yes, I suffer from range anxiety.

WP_20160424_13_47_40_Rich_zps6goel2no.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: sandange
Especially curious if you are coming from another EV

Just curious what model automobile you are coming from

Care to share why?
2011 LEAF.

I may not have the LEAF when the Model 3 comes along. Need a new battery in the LEAF, may not make sense to buy one vs trading. I'll figure out my options in the coming months. I may lease a Bolt to tide me over.

Don't want to buy another 'air cooled' battery pack, at least not from Nisssan. I like the concept of something as simple as an air cooled battery, less to go wrong, but when its the battery that goes wrong, not so much :-(

Reactions: garsh
Don't want to buy another 'air cooled' battery pack, at least not from Nisssan. I like the concept of something as simple as an air cooled battery, less to go wrong, but when its the battery that goes wrong, not so much :-(
Another Leaf owner here.

I was also of the same mindset. I liked that Nissan had the simpler battery solution. But I've done a 180 on that topic. Tesla's liquid-cooled batteries appear to be very reliable, while Nissan's non-thermally-managed batteries are losing a lot of capacity over time.

I bought a new Toyota Prius in December of 2006 for $24,000. It's been a very reliable car and I have about 115,000 miles on it. The only times I've taken it in for service (besides mandatory recalls) is to have the tires changed or to get the wheels aligned. Oil changes and tire rotations I do myself.

I've been able to fit 10' 2x4s in there and close the hatch. And (not all at once) I've fit 3 bales of hay, several bookshelves, 3 inflatable kayaks, and much more. I can fold down the seats and inflate a twin mattress in the back.

So in some ways the Model 3 will be a step back in utility due to it being a sedan instead of a hatchback. But on the other hand, the Model 3 will be much sportier and fun to drive. And, of course, there's autopilot.

We currently run a LEAF and Prius Prime (plug-in.)
My original plan was to sell the Prime when the Model 3 comes along but I may test the resale market for the LEAF first. My wife likes the idea of having another long range car as a back-up, while I love Toyota reliability and efficiency and have concluded that Nissan is a crappy EV company. It also doesn't help to watch my LEAF battery capacity drop by the month even though the car duties leave a lot of room for degradation.

Sometimes I regret moving away from my Honda Civic days of spending $10k every 15 years or so. A lot less expensive and no where near the time sink. It is a sad irony how *EVs have dragged this avowed car hater so deeply into the car scene. When it comes down to it, all I really want is for my appliance to not stink.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12