Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3–totaled or salvageable [Is this totaled?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

Our 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR was rear-ended in a hit-and-run incident on the highway. We live in NJ and were not at fault, so if any NJ folks — or others — have has experience with this (and I know this is all conjecture), I would welcome anyone’s thoughts. I’m curious if anyone has had similar damage and can share if their car was considered totaled or not. When this happened, a strong smoke smell filled the car (although we don’t know if it was coming from us or the car that hit us) and we had an alert that our battery must be replaced soon after the accident. Thank you.
96B0269E-D776-4FA8-BAC8-F1DCE5DD3B12.jpeg
A6C8F45A-4A7D-4ECA-924E-1005388E8A3B.jpeg
50CCA3F3-DFDB-413D-92B0-0B4440DD62A4.jpeg

Huh, a serious hit like this and then run off is rare. Usually it is side swipes where one never stops and speed off. Did you try to retrieve the video footage? You need the other car's license plate in order for the insurance to track down the other driver. Did you call the police to make a report? Is there any on site surveillance from nearby stores?

No matter what. You need to file your claim with your insurance. If you have the license plate down in the dashcam video, give it to your insurance and they will track down the other driver. If you don't have any information, then the repair will fall under uninsured/underinsured. There are many tesla approved shops in NJ. Take it to one and see if it is totaled.

Our 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR was rear-ended in a hit-and-run incident on the highway. We live in NJ and were not at fault, so if any NJ folks — or others — have has experience with this (and I know this is all conjecture), I would welcome anyone’s thoughts. I’m curious if anyone has had similar damage and can share if their car was considered totaled or not.

No-one has had exactly an accident like you did.
Normally, this is far from being totaled.
However, the car is old, and has likely depreciated to somewhere south of $25K.
If the repair cost exceeds 60-80% of the car's residual value (varies by insurance company), it gets totaled. Alas, we know neither the cost of repairs, not the exact residual value you company will use.

The ONLY opinion that matters is that of your insurance company's adjuster.
If he says it's totaled - it is.
If doesn't say that - it isn't.

ANYTHING else you hear on the internet is idle speculation!

HTH,
a

Reactions: jeffrotall
In early 2021 had a crash In my six year old model S P85D with a $30,000 repair estimate. The salvage value of my car, as is, was over $17,000. This car had only 21,000 miles on it and it was in beautiful condition and therefore the salvage value was high. The insurance company declared it a total loss.