Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IFTTT with Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m interested in whether anyone is using IFTTT or any similar tool to control smart devices in their home based on information from their Powerwall. Specifically, I’m considering using Powerwalls for backup and during the winter heating season I’d like to be able to set back the Nest thermostat that controls my heat pump automatically when the grid goes down and the house is running on the Powerwalls. Conversely, during the summer cooling season, I’d like to automatically turn the thermostat’s set point up during grid outages. I’ve searched the forum for mentions of IFTTT, but didn’t see any that looked directly applicable. Any insights into whether this is possible?

. I’ve searched the forum for mentions of IFTTT, but didn’t see any that looked directly applicable. Any insights into whether this is possible?

The PW2 has a local JSON API you could use with an external IFTTT server.

Much of the API is documented at vloschiavo/powerwall2

For this use-case, your IFTTT script could query http://192.168.xxx.xxx/api/system_status/grid_status, parse the returned string and make decisions depending on the returned string:

{"grid_status":"SystemGridConnected"} = grid is up

{"grid_status":"SystemIslandedActive"} = grid is down

{"grid_status":"SystemTransitionToGrid"} = grid is restored but not yet in sync.

When I hit that URL on mine with my web browser, it returns the string
{"grid_status":"SystemGridConnected","grid_services_active":false}

You might search the forums for the keywords 'JSON' and 'API' to find more automation scenarios.

I'll just point out that relying on Internet services during grid outages may not be safe. Depending on how the grid went down and the Internet infrastructure in your area, you might have an Internet outage at the same time. If you can do this locally, it would probably be more reliable. Of course, this means you probably can't leverage pre-built IFTTT integration for your devices.

I've done the converse - I control the Powerwall using IFTTT based on triggers from OhmConnect's IFTTT service.

@Darwin He has a legit setup I have been using for a week!

Here's a link to the Powerwall integration with SmartThings that @Chancellor32 mentioned:

Tesla Powerwall Manager app for the SmartThings Hub - DarwinsDen.com

The app/driver includes some built-in options to select smart devices to automatically turn off in the event of a grid outage, but you can also use SmartThings capabilities to to perform customized actions based on Powerwall states and levels. It does require an active internet connection.

I just got finished with Tesla tech support asking for this very same thing. They did not have a solution. In addition to the nest controls I would also like to control other devices such as a smart breaker or switch in the event of a power outage for non essential items such as my pool pump. Any suggestions for that?

I just got finished with Tesla tech support asking for this very same thing. They did not have a solution. In addition to the nest controls I would also like to control other devices such as a smart breaker or switch in the event of a power outage for non essential items such as my pool pump. Any suggestions for that?
I use this GE Z-Wave Plus 40-Amp Indoor/Outdoor Metal Box Smart Switch to control some of those type of items, like Hot Tub, or dumb hot water heater if you have one. You can use Smarthings or any zwave controller to create rules for it. Quite handy.