Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IKEA Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla ownership. Do you need an adapter? Do you need a credit card or are they free?

Sometimes you may need a credit card or account with the charging service to activate, even though the charging station is free. I've only seen fees charged for CHAdeMO Level 3 chargers, but I have used several Level 2 charging stations that require a free account, like AddÉnergie or ChargePoint, to activate a charging session.

It is worth having these accounts set up, in case you come across a charger. A few weeks ago, I was hunting for a parking spot at a beach park on Vancouver Island and I found a choice EV charging spot that was labelled no parking except for EVs while charging. I could use a charge, so I plugged in, activated an AddÉnergie session through the app, and left a notice on the plug with my mobile number, in case someone needed a charge more than me. (I use these hangars EV Etiquette: Enable Common Courtesy | CleanTechnica.)

Ottawa IKEA stations are installed, and should be opened to the public soon. I was asked to drop by to test them - they work great. 199V, 48A.

IMG_4349.JPG

They've done the best practices - green "Electric Vehicle Only" parking spots, signs (they were about to be mounted) saying "Electric Vehicle Charging Only". Not far from the front door but not right in front of it either. Two spots per charger, both cables reach all four (and maybe spots beside as well). Shouldn't be a problem for ICEing!

Last edited: