Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois Bill Mandating Alternative Fuels for State Cars & Electric Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
Last year I ran for Illinois state representative and lost to David Harris with whom I remain on friendly terms. Today he informed me that he sponsored a bill requiring 25% of state vehicles to use alternative fuels and for electric recharging stations to be built on state highways and tollways. The bill has passed the state house and senate and is awaiting the governor's signature: Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB2695

If you are an Illinois resident, please email Governor Quinn and ask him to sign the bill into law: http://www2.illinois.gov/gov/Pages/ContacttheGovernor.aspx

What is your read, Curt, with respect to your governor's sense on this matter? Was there something resembling bipartisan support in both chambers? It certainly is an interesting development...it would be even more interesting were it to happen in, say, North Carolina or Texas!

What is your read, Curt, with respect to your governor's sense on this matter? Was there something resembling bipartisan support in both chambers? It certainly is an interesting development...it would be even more interesting were it to happen in, say, North Carolina or Texas!

Ahem. We're not *that* backwards in Texas. We already have alternative fuel requirements for fleet vehicles, requirements for growth in wind electricity generation (which is already capable of 10% of the total), and apparently a credit for personal EVs coming in September. But, there's always room for improvement.

NC, my other home state, on the other hand, has a huge way to go.

The one house sponsor was my former Republican opponent. The two senate sponsors are Democrats whom I know personally. All three live near me in Chicago’s northwest suburbs. The Democratic state senate president from Chicago owns a Model S and cut the ribbon on a Supercharger station in central Illinois last week. I fully expect the Democratic governor (whom I know even better than the others from the days he was a tax attorney I interviewed on my TV show) to sign the bill. But a little nudging won’t hurt, and a lot of public support may get the attention of the media.

I've also written my mayor and village trustees asking them to nudge the governor. I included the bill's house sponsor (my election opponent) in a cc. He immediately responded with thanks for my supporting his bill and for my writing the governor, the village board and the members of this message board.