Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm going to get eaten alive on Texas State car tax!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NJ waives sales tax (now 6.625%) on electric vehicles as an incentive.

Wow! That's a dam good incentive, had not heard about that one in the press. But there are a bunch of incentives that take searching.

I am surprised that Tesla doesn't do a better job of keeping an up to date list for every local. Not a searchable list, but a scrolling list, so if you see your sister lives where she can get an enormous benefit from buying electric you can goad her to get onboard. I don't even think the Drive Electric folks have such a list, not that includes NJ, or the rebate I just found out about in Monterey, CA. So close!

-Randy

Yeah but then you have to live in NJ.

Moved out there in 2015, moved back to the west coast 14 months later. You guys can have it!
A transplant myself from the Midwest. NJ is okay, it just depends where you live here and how well you ignore the government corruption.

Traveled back and forth between here and San Diego for 5 years... Couldn't quite pull the trigger to move. Way too mellow for me there o_O

The standard deduction was raised by the amount of the personal exemption that was removed plus $500 to $1000 or so. The personal exemption was a big chunk of what many people used to itemize with, combine that with the loss of the state income tax deduction and the caps on mortgage interest and a lot of people this year are in for a big surprise. Also, since the personal exemptions are now gone, people with children are going to get a double whammy since the new child tax credit is not nearly enough to cover the loss of the personal exemptions.
My accountant's firm was out ahead on this spring to help their clients prepare for this. With the caveat that nobody (literally nobody, even the law's authors) had a complete handle on the changes, they included a shadowing of what the bottom line numbers would look like using the new rules on my 2017 income.

The new rules cost me about $1000 extra Fed income tax. :( It's probably going to be even worse this year.

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug
My accountant's firm was out ahead on this spring to help their clients prepare for this. With the caveat that nobody (literally nobody, even the law's authors) had a complete handle on the changes, they included a shadowing of what the bottom line numbers would look like using the new rules on my 2017 income.

The new rules cost me about $1000 extra Fed income tax. :( It's probably going to be even worse this year.
I think I will be OK this year as my mortgage interest is getting to the point where it's so low that it was not going to be worth itemizing anymore. What really bugs me is that the cut was sold as a middle class tax break when it's far from that, but I digress from the topic at hand.

I'm sure CA needs all the help they can get. Here in Texas, most all tax somehow ends up helping the school system, and wow, you should see some of these city block new school houses. Oh, and they most all have a good football team.
Don’t forget churches here in Texas. They don’t pay property taxes, even though some here in Austin are sitting on pieces of property that are valued over $100 million or more. We all pay for that…and I personally have no interest in subsidizing them through my taxes. Moving to Colorado!!