Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm off to "Pet-aWawa" - don’t get me started 🤣

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
Off to Petawawa for the weekend, to celebrate a mate's wedding party over the weekend. ABRP suggest that I stop in Bancroft, for a short stop to top up. I intend to leave Toronto with a 80 or 90% SoC. Oddly, no SuperChargers up there and my car, while able to be upgraded to CCS, is waiting for parts, so CHAdeMO it is then. Big thanks to TOCO (Tesla Owners Club of Ontario) and John Dixon for the member privileges. When I can do the update, I may just skip buying the adapter as the club has some for members.

Stay tuned for updates.

It all worked out ok, although Petawawa is not really an EV-friendly town. The one Ivy DC station there, had only one of the two terminals working. The CHAdeMO was not working so I ended up using my mobile charger to add about 15% charge to help get us around and to Ottawa. What makes absolutely no sense to me is that Bancroft is smaller in population and yet has a SuperCharger station. Go figure.

Reactions: Vawlkus
What makes absolutely no sense to me is that Bancroft is smaller in population and yet has a SuperCharger station.
Superchargers aren't primarily intended for local residents since most owners would likely charge at home. Therefore, Supercharger locations would more be determined by out-of-town through traffic, and local population wouldn't be a high priority consideration. This is why most Superchargers are located close to highways and throughways, not where it would be more convenient for the town residents.

I'm actually a bit leery of A Better Route Planner after plotting our upcoming trip from Kitchener to Mont Tremblant. It was suggesting a stop at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa, but that's a really old location that tops out at 72 kW. When I manually set the 250 kW Bells Corners / Nepean Superchargers as a stop it spit out a much faster trip...
maybe send ABR a note with that finding; maybe they can tweak the algorithm if that specific route doesn't make much sense ?

I'm actually a bit leery of A Better Route Planner after plotting our upcoming trip from Kitchener to Mont Tremblant. It was suggesting a stop at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa, but that's a really old location that tops out at 72 kW. When I manually set the 250 kW Bells Corners / Nepean Superchargers as a stop it spit out a much faster trip...
I tend to agree. I use the mapping software on my iPhone and send it to the car. I crosscheck with ABRP.

Reactions: KevinT3141