Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Immersive sound SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that it turns off and on some speakers. Could you identify which ones turn off with immersive sound off?

I would say that when it was on high it sounded a little “louder”, but if you asked me to blindly listen to a song and determine whether the immersive sound was on or off I would have no clue. Again, I’m not an audiophile so my ears are not sophisticated enough to listen to these subtle differences. But I would guess that 90% of the people who buy an SR+ will think the audio sounds great and never give it a second thought that anything is lacking.

The sound is definitely lacking in the rear, in my opinion. They should have gone with the rear deck speakers versus the door ones. That said, my SR+ clearly has speakers installed there so I don't see why they couldn't be enabled. I haven't experienced full premium audio before, but a few more speakers wouldn't hurt.

I would say that when it was on high it sounded a little “louder”, but if you asked me to blindly listen to a song and determine whether the immersive sound was on or off I would have no clue.
I think it is fairly easy to hear the difference as long as you have a stereo source with multiple instruments playing. From what I can tell "immersive audio" is just some kind of digital sound field processing that creates a wider virtual sound stage, similar to the DSP programs that many AVRs and soundbars have.

• Helpful
Reactions: SRPLUSBB
I think it is fairly easy to hear the difference as long as you have a stereo source with multiple instruments playing. From what I can tell "immersive audio" is just some kind of digital sound field processing that creates a wider virtual sound stage, similar to the DSP programs that many AVRs and soundbars have.

I don't think this is entirely correct. I think immersive sound activates certain speakers (like the A-Pillar speakers). I would be curious if someone with a premium interior could verify that when they turn immersive sound off some speakers go silent.

I don't think this is entirely correct. I think immersive sound activates certain speakers (like the A-Pillar speakers).
There is no contradiction. These sound field processors work by redistributing specific sounds between the speakers and using phase shifts to manipulate the spatial perception, effectively "projecting" sounds and instruments to locations in a virtual sound stage. Using additional speakers (often called "presence speakers") can be part of it. I find it quite easy to tell if the option is on.
I would be curious if someone with a premium interior could verify that when they turn immersive sound off some speakers go silent.
It seems that the upper speakers on the A pillar are only used when immersive audio is on. I haven't checked any of the other speakers.

I don't think this is entirely correct. I think immersive sound activates certain speakers (like the A-Pillar speakers). I would be curious if someone with a premium interior could verify that when they turn immersive sound off some speakers go silent.

AWD here. In car now. Immersive on High, “Your Love is King” by Sade is on. Turned up and can feel vibration from upper A pillar. Then turned Off Immersive while still mid-song and no vibration. Not crawling in back seat area. Hope that’s enough to answer your question though.

It will depend on your music source. If you play for example “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaak from Tesla’s streaming Romance selection, you should notice the difference especially between Off and High. Much richer sound quality in bass and vocals. I can detect a difference between Standard and High during the vocals. Also if while playing this song for example and with audio volume set to near mid volume level, put your fingers on the upper A pillar speaker and toggle between the Standard and High settings with the other hand. You should be able to feel the difference in vibration between the two settings. Standard is definitely softer vibration as the volume increases.

I wonder if SR+s have immersive sound Always On in Standard setting to differentiate it from the Full Premium package which has the additional High setting. Try holding your fingers on the upper A pillar speaker on “Wicked Game” vocals and adjust your speaker volume upwards while fingers are there and see if you can feel any vibration, if so those speakers are being used. You guys have got me curious as to the difference between Immersive sound on the partial and full premium packages.

The Full Premium package’s audio has 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer and 2amps power. Not sure what SR+ has installed. Pretty sure immersive sound is delivered by just the upper A pillar speakers for the driver/passenger enjoyment. That upper speaker is missing on the SR car which has no immersive sound.

@Drizzle disagreed with this post and not sure about what. Some SR+ owners just got an update that gave them Immersive Sound in their Options and the poster said it only gave access to Off/On. Suspect due to lack of 2W amp and subwoofer(?) that the Premium High setting isn’t available for logical reasons.

Got the update as well. Based on the feel test I didnt notice any vibrations coming from the A pillar or speakers shoved in the corners of the door by the window. Guess I'll need to be the neighborhood psychopath tomorrow and grab a paper towel roll to isolate each speaker.

Are you sure all the speakers are operating? I dont know a single SR+ owner whose rear deck, A-pillars, and corner window speakers work whether immersive sound is toggled on or off. They appear software locked (even on the latest update).
My experience is the same as yours after updating and rebooting: still no sound from any of those speakers.