Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Immersive sound SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my SR+ yesterday. I also can't turn on the immersive sound, and without that option there are speakers in the car that are totally silent (A pillar, and front window speakers). My neighbor has a long range with the full premium. There is a toggle in music options that turns on and off the immersive sound. You and I paid for it, but its not there.

I'm also missing that Auto Lane Change feature of the Autopilot. The owners manual says its part of the Autopilot suite, not the FSD but I don't have it.....

Also! I have Satellite-view maps, but I shouldn't. Ugh. I hope they get it fixed quick.

I have an SR+ so I’m in the same boat, but I have a question: is there any reason why one would turn immsersive sound off? It seems strange to me that this would even be an option (on cars where this is working correctly), unless I’m completely missing something.

Not by my car right now but there is a setting for it and SR+ does/should have it. Let’s see if I remember... open up your music, on the right you’ll see the Equalizer. Open that and there are 3 categories for customizing. One category I remember is Balance as I just reset mine the other day. Not sure which one has the Immersive sound but it’s in one of those 3 areas.

I have it in my car and it is worth the upgrade IMO. Not everybody likes a big sound I guess so they made it toggle-able. Not something for most “radio” stations, but the car’s Romance tracks for instance...nice!

Last edited:
Took delivery of my SR+ on 3/23 and have no sound from the A-pillar speakers, nor have an option for "immersive sound" anywhere in the settings. My Tesla delivery rep was befuddled when I identified the problem at delivery (I had heard about it in a couple other forums), and promised to follow-up next week by Wednesday. I chalk it up to a software issue that will get resolved. Otherwise love the car.

Here’s what it looks like on my AWD LR screen (2019.5.15). Under Options. If no SR+ sees this, my guess is they were rushed and didn’t pass what ever needed to be set up for SR+ yet. Do you guys have the Options section?

24487CFB-F70B-4240-A4C0-49C4B6BA1114.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't seem to find the option to enable immersive sound in the SR+. Is this a feature enabled by default or something I should see in the sound settings?

What is the software version of your car?

I ask because it seems in one of the latest releases they removed immersive sound for *everybody*, and it seems to be a bug because they fixed it in a slightly later release. So you might be on that buggy release, and when they roll the newer release with the fix to the wider fleet, you will get immersive sound back.

Here’s what it looks like on my AWD LR screen. Under Options. If no SR+ sees this, my guess is they were rushed and didn’t pass what ever needed to be set up for SR+ yet. Do you guys have the Options section?

View attachment 389983

This is what I see in my SR+. I'm running 2019.5.15 and never had the option for immersive sound.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190324-225333_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190324-225333_Gallery.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 134
Must be coded to variations of cars and not updated for the SR+. That’s really strange to see the same version of software and yet a different screen.
Yeah I seem to be lucky to just have my fog lights enabled in the software. It seems some people who bought the SR+ are reporting they didn't have the option in the software.

I have an LR RWD. I’ve tried toggling the immersive sound through off/standard/high. I’ve tried it with my eyes open and closed. Maybe I’m just tone deaf, but I honestly can’t tell the difference between any of the settings.

My understanding is that it turns off and on some speakers. Could you identify which ones turn off with immersive sound off?

I have an LR RWD. I’ve tried toggling the immersive sound through off/standard/high. I’ve tried it with my eyes open and closed. Maybe I’m just tone deaf, but I honestly can’t tell the difference between any of the settings.

It will depend on your music source. If you play for example “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaak from Tesla’s streaming Romance selection, you should notice the difference especially between Off and High. Much richer sound quality in bass and vocals. I can detect a difference between Standard and High during the vocals. Also if while playing this song for example and with audio volume set to near mid volume level, put your fingers on the upper A pillar speaker and toggle between the Standard and High settings with the other hand. You should be able to feel the difference in vibration between the two settings. Standard is definitely softer vibration as the volume increases.

I wonder if SR+s have immersive sound Always On in Standard setting to differentiate it from the Full Premium package which has the additional High setting. Try holding your fingers on the upper A pillar speaker on “Wicked Game” vocals and adjust your speaker volume upwards while fingers are there and see if you can feel any vibration, if so those speakers are being used. You guys have got me curious as to the difference between Immersive sound on the partial and full premium packages.

The Full Premium package’s audio has 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer and 2amps power. Not sure what SR+ has installed. Pretty sure immersive sound is delivered by just the upper A pillar speakers for the driver/passenger enjoyment. That upper speaker is missing on the SR car which has no immersive sound.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Drizzle
The Full Premium package’s audio has 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer and 2amps power. Not sure what SR+ has installed. Pretty sure immersive sound is delivered by just the upper A pillar speakers for the driver/passenger enjoyment. That upper speaker is missing on the SR car which has no immersive sound.
Here's a video where someone compared the audio systems in Premium and Partial Premium:

Accordig to this, the SR+ is missing the subwoofer (and accompanying amp), and perhaps the speakers under the rear deck grill. The upper A pillar speaker is present though.

Personally I'm not really a fan of the "immersive audio" mode in my car since voice content (podcasts etc.) sounds unnatural with it. But I sometimes turn it on for music.