Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Implication of Free Supercharging on used S value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, I will be interested in any feedback you get on this query. One of the "drivers" (ha ha) behind my purchase of my MX in 2016 was the free Supercharging. Though I'm a lawyer, I didn't verify whether I had this in writing (my bad), but I've always thought of Tesla as a company that worked not to be deceptive to its buyers. It's one thing where Elon is hyping Autopilot's upcoming functionality, but another where you had a monetary benefit and that gets taken away.

Good morning,

I read the news about cancellation of free supercharging on used model s.
Did anyone understand about it being transf3erable? (for instance, if I have free supercharging on 16 s - will it transfer to next owner?)
Thank you

You are misunderstanding the situation.

Free Unlimited Supercharging on Model S vehicles will remain on all vehicles as long as they don't get traded in to Tesla. Once Tesla gets them back, they cancel that, which they are well within their rights to do, as the car is once again owned by them.

So, if you have a 2016 Model S with Free Unlimited Supercharging, that benefit will transfer to anyone you sell the vehicle to. The only time it will go away is if you or a future owner sells it (trades it in) to Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: CaryRx

Free Unlimited Supercharging on Model S vehicles will remain on all vehicles as long as they don't get traded in to Tesla. Once Tesla gets them back, they cancel that, which they are well within their rights to do, as the car is once again owned by them.

So, if you have a 2016 Model S with Free Unlimited Supercharging, that benefit will transfer to anyone you sell the vehicle to. The only time it will go away is if you or a future owner sells it (trades it in) to Tesla.
That is very helpful -- thank you!

I agree with this, but I would add "as of today" to the explanation.

Hmm, I will be interested in any feedback you get on this query. One of the "drivers" (ha ha) behind my purchase of my MX in 2016 was the free Supercharging. Though I'm a lawyer, I didn't verify whether I had this in writing (my bad), but I've always thought of Tesla as a company that worked not to be deceptive to its buyers. It's one thing where Elon is hyping Autopilot's upcoming functionality, but another where you had a monetary benefit and that gets taken away.
out of curiosity...did you ever verify if anywhere in your original agreement it stated the transferrable terms? A lot has been said about being tied to the vin, the owner, or neither....it seems nothing is truly conclusive