TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Implications of possible Intel 5G on Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

2. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

That's great that they are staying ahead. The problem with the 5G 28+ GHz frequencies is that the signals won't go as far as the lower 4G LTE frequencies since they are more easily disrupted by buildings or other objects. Now, if they could somehow get 5G speeds using the 4G LTE 700+ MHz spectrum, that would really be something.

3. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

I knew there would be a techy out there who could respond in total Greek?? ;) Don't have clue what you said, but if I had to guess, the 5G is not the grand answer that it might appear to be. Last thing we need on the M3 is LESS cellphone connectivity.

4. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

To me, Tesla upping the bandwidth in the vehicles strikes me as something presented as for being to the consumer's benefit, but really is mainly for their own benefit. What high bandwidth stuff does the user need? Not needed for streaming radio, and given how bad the browser is regardless, not much use there. Likewise, who cares how long it takes for updates to download? But for Tesla I could see huge benefits in terms of collecting driving data for their autopilot and other programmes (uploading camera / radar feeds and the like).

Maybe there's some use case that I'm not thinking of....

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The user benefits from continuously-learning / improving AP.

6. Trips

Trips Member

Vehicles talking to other vehicles could be a big use. You could get 10 Tesla's traveling feet apart at high speeds because vehicle #1 is able to tell #10 it is slowing down before it does. Now when you add in vehicle #11 that need just grew exponentially.

You add in the road and street lights talking to the vehicle you could use all the bandwidth you can get.

7. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

The only one I can think of off hand would be HD maps for navigation, it would be especially helpful for FSD. Aside from that though, unless the car can be used as a hotspot, I don't see the advantage.

I'm not an expert but I don't think that they would use a cell signal for this as it wouldn't be direct vehicle to vehicle communication which is what would be needed. They need something fast yes, but short range would be all that would be required.

8. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

None of that is high-bandwidth.

9. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

Yup, latency is far more important that bandwidth in most cases, especially if you want the cars to react quickly as in these cases.

• Like x 1
  10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The V2V systems will be using the 5.9GHz band (similar to wifi). Nothing to do with the mobile data bands.
    Vehicle-to-vehicle - Wikipedia

11. cronosx

cronosx Member

Browser navigation etc.. said that, i would say that they would use a 5g AND 4g.
    They are just future-proofing the car, i would say that's a good sign, since the car need to stay "a modern car" for at least 8 years.. then it could be a "good" car.
    Just to put it in perspective, if "5g is too much", then just a couple of year ago "4g is too much", and just go back 5-6 years, and you would find out that "3g is not really needed!", if future proofing something isn't too expasive, why not?

12. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

I didn't mean to confuse you but yes, you're right! The big problem is that since the 5G signal won't go as far, the cell companies will probably need to install more infrastructure / equipment at new locations. This is so that they will be able to provide the same service reliability level that we currently have with 4G LTE, unless they're able to develop a 5G system that won't need this. Let's hope, because I for one would appreciate the x50 - 100 increase in speed that 5G should be able to offer!

13. Jayc

Jayc Member

IMO its just part of the normal roadmap to accommodate ever increasing data bandwidth requirements. With S, X, 3, Y and Semi on the way, can you imagine how busy the Tesla network is going to be overall so best to start looking at tackling the bottlenecks expected..