Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Implications of possible Intel 5G on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great that they are staying ahead. The problem with the 5G 28+ GHz frequencies is that the signals won't go as far as the lower 4G LTE frequencies since they are more easily disrupted by buildings or other objects. Now, if they could somehow get 5G speeds using the 4G LTE 700+ MHz spectrum, that would really be something.

That's great that they are staying ahead. The problem with the 5G 28+ GHz frequencies is that the signals won't go as far as the lower 4G LTE frequencies since they are more easily disrupted by buildings or other objects. Now, if they could somehow get 5G speeds using the 4G LTE 700+ MHz spectrum, that would really be something.
I knew there would be a techy out there who could respond in total Greek?? ;) Don't have clue what you said, but if I had to guess, the 5G is not the grand answer that it might appear to be. Last thing we need on the M3 is LESS cellphone connectivity.

To me, Tesla upping the bandwidth in the vehicles strikes me as something presented as for being to the consumer's benefit, but really is mainly for their own benefit. What high bandwidth stuff does the user need? Not needed for streaming radio, and given how bad the browser is regardless, not much use there. Likewise, who cares how long it takes for updates to download? But for Tesla I could see huge benefits in terms of collecting driving data for their autopilot and other programmes (uploading camera / radar feeds and the like).

Maybe there's some use case that I'm not thinking of....

To me, Tesla upping the bandwidth in the vehicles strikes me as something presented as for being to the consumer's benefit, but really is mainly for their own benefit. What high bandwidth stuff does the user need? Not needed for streaming radio, and given how bad the browser is regardless, not much use there. Likewise, who cares how long it takes for updates to download? But for Tesla I could see huge benefits in terms of collecting driving data for their autopilot and other programmes (uploading camera / radar feeds and the like).

The user benefits from continuously-learning / improving AP.

Vehicles talking to other vehicles could be a big use. You could get 10 Tesla's traveling feet apart at high speeds because vehicle #1 is able to tell #10 it is slowing down before it does. Now when you add in vehicle #11 that need just grew exponentially.

You add in the road and street lights talking to the vehicle you could use all the bandwidth you can get.

The only one I can think of off hand would be HD maps for navigation, it would be especially helpful for FSD. Aside from that though, unless the car can be used as a hotspot, I don't see the advantage.

Vehicles talking to other vehicles could be a big use. You could get 10 Tesla's traveling feet apart at high speeds because vehicle #1 is able to tell #10 it is slowing down before it does. Now when you add in vehicle #11 that need just grew exponentially.

You add in the road and street lights talking to the vehicle you could use all the bandwidth you can get.
I'm not an expert but I don't think that they would use a cell signal for this as it wouldn't be direct vehicle to vehicle communication which is what would be needed. They need something fast yes, but short range would be all that would be required.

None of that is high-bandwidth.

Reactions: Tezlanian

The V2V systems will be using the 5.9GHz band (similar to wifi). Nothing to do with the mobile data bands.
Vehicle-to-vehicle - Wikipedia

Browser navigation etc.. said that, i would say that they would use a 5g AND 4g.
They are just future-proofing the car, i would say that's a good sign, since the car need to stay "a modern car" for at least 8 years.. then it could be a "good" car.
Just to put it in perspective, if "5g is too much", then just a couple of year ago "4g is too much", and just go back 5-6 years, and you would find out that "3g is not really needed!", if future proofing something isn't too expasive, why not?

I knew there would be a techy out there who could respond in total Greek?? ;) Don't have clue what you said, but if I had to guess, the 5G is not the grand answer that it might appear to be. Last thing we need on the M3 is LESS cellphone connectivity.

I didn't mean to confuse you but yes, you're right! The big problem is that since the 5G signal won't go as far, the cell companies will probably need to install more infrastructure / equipment at new locations. This is so that they will be able to provide the same service reliability level that we currently have with 4G LTE, unless they're able to develop a 5G system that won't need this. Let's hope, because I for one would appreciate the x50 - 100 increase in speed that 5G should be able to offer!

IMO its just part of the normal roadmap to accommodate ever increasing data bandwidth requirements. With S, X, 3, Y and Semi on the way, can you imagine how busy the Tesla network is going to be overall so best to start looking at tackling the bottlenecks expected..

I have 4G, live in the center of Houston where there are a lot of trees, some tall buildings, and an Interstate (I-69) a half mile away. My reception, especially latency, is much worse than my T-Mobile iPhone. If 5G is even more prone to interference, my reception would go from poor to totally unacceptable.

You're right regarding the radio propagation characteristics of mmWave spectrum, but this isn't the only range where 5G NR (New Radio) can be used. There are also a number of bands in the sub-6 GHz range. They will also benefit from the latency improvements and efficiency gains of NR. See:

5G NR frequency bands - Wikipedia

Regarding Intel, I don't see a reason to be concerned. They are pushing hard in the 5G space (after having missed the boat in 3G and 4G), creating more serious competition for Qualcomm than exists today. Given their automotive activities (e.g. Mobileye acquisition) I expect they'll make significant investments in this area as well.