Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing Tesla from Hk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've been working in Hong Kong for the past 3 years and am relocating back home to Sydney in July (yay!). I bought myself a P85D while I was in Hong Kong and am now looking at bringing it back with me. Has anyone had any experience doing something similar before?

From some googling, I've found that I'll have to pay import tax, GST, and luxury car tax. Does anyone have any idea what the govt will accept as the market value for this vehicle? Carsales have some dealer models listed for $190k. My car has done less than 10,000km, and is a late 2015 model. From my quick calculation, if I value it at say:

$120,000, After import tax it becomes $126,000, after GST $138,600 and after LCT $155,306. So taxes and duties alone would be $35k. On top I would have to add agent fees (if i use one), and shipping, and misc. cleaning fees etc.

There's also the question of whether the HK model is road-compliant in Aus, and if I would need to degas/regass the aircon etc.

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers.

You may want to check this recent thread

Returning to Melbourne with my Model S

How come everyone is leaving HK all of a sudden?

The only place where housing might be worse than Sydney is Hong Kong haha. For me personally it's a change in career.

I'm weighing up the pros and cons right now.

Pros
- save money (no way you can get a model S for that cheap in aus)
- don't have to buy a new car

Cons
- no warranty on battery (8 years)
- no free lifetime 3g (will have to pay monthly subscription for internet myself I guess)
- poor resale value when the time comes
- no free supercharging (but if I can install 3 phase at home then this really isn't an issue imo. would have an ice car for longer distance drives)