Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impression after spending a day with my MS in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven almost 400km.

Here is my thought (mostly negative,) on the car:

340km is the realistic range for a 85% full battery on 85kw.

The pano roof blocks most of the heat and there is no concern seating in there at direct sunlight. However, the exterior of roof is crazily hot. Steam was coming out when I spray the car on Sunday!

Back seats are not really good for long trips.

The "open" center console is a great tray for food delivery.

Tires noise seems to be a problem as it is the only noise the car makes on highway.

I tried both Cantonese and English, but Voice control doesn't work.

Auto Toll doesn't really work.

The Standard setting of Re-gen Brakes makes me feel safe driving on Highway. On the other hand, the brakes on the car is not that good.

It will be good to have a Front Camera.

Beside all these little issues the car is great.

Last edited:
Where are you placing your Autotoll?
Autotoll insists on lower right corner of the windshield except for certain cars with some type of coating (in which case they advise you to put it top center near the rear view mirror). Does Tesla have that coating? How does one find out?

Where are you placing your Autotoll?
Autotoll insists on lower right corner of the windshield except for certain cars with some type of coating (in which case they advise you to put it top center near the rear view mirror). Does Tesla have that coating? How does one find out?

Model S does have the coating. The only place it might work is directly behind the bubbled dot area next to the rear view mirror. On LHD, it's on the right side of the mirror.

If that doesn't work, there have been some creative solutions to stick the tag behind the nose come, or affix to the roof.

Today, when it rains, there are some water trapped between the rubber seal and the driver's window. It makes a squeaking noise when I open/close it. Does anyone else have it?

Also, at the last bit of braking, just before the car stops, there seem to have some noise coming from the suspension...

The pano roof blocks most of the heat and there is no concern seating in there at direct sunlight. However, the exterior of roof is crazily hot. Steam was coming out when I spray the car on Sunday!

Tires noise seems to be a problem as it is the only noise the car makes on highway.

The Standard setting of Re-gen Brakes makes me feel safe driving on Highway. On the other hand, the brakes on the car is not that good.

Wow...I thought it was my new autotoll tag problem and never think it was not detected!

I tend to floor my pedal (when safe :rolleyes:) whenever I can...hehe...

so I'll probably have my aggressive-range-losing driving style for a couple of weeks :biggrin: Unfortunately this Model S New Owner, aka MSNO, Syndrome has no cure :tongue:

The brakes are actually very powerful (in dry weather), providing you keep them clean and use them regularly, which is not so easy when driving one-pedal-style since you mainly use the regen to slow down. The brakes need regular use in order to function properly. Do some (safe) brake tests (like 100-0km) each few days to keep the brakes clean and fully functional. There is a lot written on the forum here about this.

Enjoy your car, must be very special to be one of the first driving it :)

In other countries the equivalent of the autotoll is placed behind the nosecone. Lots of threads on this in the forum.

There is an aftermarket solution for a front camera using the existing display. Search on front camera. I have all the parts and will be installing this on my car after it arrives in the future. This also involves removing the nosecone. I intend to do both the camera and autotoll installation at the same time. I would expect most problems you are experiencing have been discussed on the forum.

For those who have received their cars - did the DS show you how to remove the nosecone to access the 12V battery? Access is needed to the 12V battery in case it goes dead after prolonged periods of non-charge. An example would be 4-6 weeks away on a trip without the car plugged in. Long trips away are not uncommon for many in HK as part of our work. When I did my test drives in other countries the sales people let me pop off the nose cone to see how easy it was to remove it.

Anyone can suggest anything for front cam?

autotoll install guide

- - - Updated - - -

Install_100528-online-c.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

avoid deform of the frunk...correct closing approach of the frunk
attachment-4.jpeg

As I don't have my car yet I cannot comment on the autotoll working well enough in the small area on the windshield. After reading the other posts regarding toll devices, I was just going to install mine in the nosecone. Is that illegal in HK? Any thoughts if we going to have to work through the TD or whatever authority issues autotolls to get an exemption to mounting on the windshield.

Lerxt, I'll send you a PM with the instructions. The process is pretty well documented already for LHD cars. I'm hoping for RHD cars the wiring is similar.

I think many of these discussions are useful, but they are now under a thread which is quite impossible to relate to and hence difficult for retrieval in the future. I think we need another named thread for all these discussions.