Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressions After Month 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our LRY is our third electric car. We were looking at many electrics which were mostly not available, then Tesla cut their prices to a rational level and we ordered one and got it in 5 days. I am a nut about efficiency. Comments and wish list items:
  1. I am able to get excellent range locally, I use about 180 wh/mile around town. As in my other electric cars the key to doing this is to coast a lot and avoid the inefficiencies of accelerating and regen. But its hard to watch the little green/gray bar graph to the side and keep it balanced. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a detent in the throttle at the neutral power point?
  2. I've only used chill mode a little but all it seems to do is cut off the top end of power. My Honda Clarity PHEV has several throttle maps you can select with varying motor responses to accelerator pedal input. Is there some way to do that in the Y? Slower response but without cutting off the top end would make it easier to drive economically and still give you full power if needed.
  3. The climate control seems primitive for an advanced car where heat/AC has a big effect on range. My home HVAC lets you set a temperature spread between heat and AC, we usually use about 10F. Why can't the Tesla controls do that? Another simpler way to help this would be to add a heat on/off button like for AC. I don't need any heat or AC in the 45 to 75F outdoor temperature range.
  4. I read they softened up the suspension a few months ago. Its still fairly stiff to me, but fine for Florida where I live. If I was still in the northeast it might not be tolerable.
  5. Love the available power and the brake and steering feel.
  6. I have many doubts they will ever be able to use the cameras for accurate parking assist. Especially the front camera which does not even seem to be able to see the bumper.

Tesla_Model_Y_Dual_Motor_Pearl_White_Multi-Coat_(1).jpg

"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Pearl White Multi-Coat (1)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

The Tesla Model Y Climate Control system that uses Tesla's proprietary Octo-valve is one of the most sophisticated and efficient automobile heating and cooling systems. There is no need for a control to turn off the heating mode. If you choose to use the Climate Control system just set to Auto and your preferred cabin temperature. (Note: Whether or not you turn off the AC evaporator for cooling the passenger cabin the Tesla Model Y's thermal management system with Octo-valve remains active; even for a time after the Model Y has been parked.)

(Note: Untangle Club has updated and expanded on these video presentations of the Tesla Model Y thermal magagement system since they were first created. You can skip to Part 3 for an explanation of the 3 cooling modes of the Tesla Model Y's thermal management system.)

For optimum daytime cabin cooling efficiency consider adding a good ceramic tint film such as Xpel XR Plus or 3M Crystalline to the windows of the Model Y. An interior sunshade is also a good addition.

Last edited:
Humidity management has been a huge issue for my MS and many owners report bad smells and mould issues. Newer (electric) cars from other manufacturers monitor humidity and have auto purge cycles. Do recent Tesla models have similar?
I always set the Climate Control system in my Tesla Model Y to Auto, HVAC Fan Speed Control set to Medium or High (in the Auto setting the HVAC Fan Speed Control functions as a speed limiter; in Manual mode the Fan Speed can be set from 1 to 10.) I set my preferred cabin temperature; in winter I usually set the cabin temperature to 70F or 71F (~21C); in summer I set the temperature to 72F or 73F (~23C).

In my experience the Climate Control system will automatically dehumidify the cabin as required to prevent the windshield from fogging. For those times when you want to quickly defog the windshield and/or outside mirrors you can activate the windshield defogger/defroster mode (one tap for defog; two taps for maximum defrost.) The rear hatch glass can be defogged or defrosted separately using a separate on-screen button. In my experience turning on the windshield defogger/defroster and/or the rear hatch glass defogger/defroster will turn on the heating elements in the side view mirrors.

In warmer temperatures the Climate Control system in the Tesla Model Y will continue to run the HVAC fan at a low or medium speed after you park for ~20 minutes. You would not usually be aware that this is happening as the Tesla Model Y runs this cycle after you exit the vehicle. The purpose of this cycle is to help dry out the evaporator coil.

As long as your phone is still inside the Tesla Model Y and no passenger is detected in the driver's seat the Climate Control will continue to run in the most recent setting; perhaps for 40 minutes. (If you select Keep, Dog mode or Camp mode before exiting the Climate Control system will continue to run after you exit the Tesla Model Y.)

To date I have changed the original (2) cabin air filters in my 2020 Tesla Model Y, only once, after a little more than 2 years. I only started to notice an odor from the HVAC system when it first starts up running at about 22 months (your experience may be different.) If you precondition the Tesla Model Y for a few minutes before entering the Model Y you may not notice any odor when you enter the vehicle. The odor was only present for about a minute when first starting the HVAC system on those times that I did not first precondition.

When I changed the cabin air filters with aftermarket ones from Basenor (these were not HEPA type filters that can cause problems with the HVAC blower motor). I purchased the filters on Amazon I also purchased a foaming cleaner product to clean and disinfect the evaporator coil and filter housing. (The whole process of changing the cabin air filters and cleaning the evaporator coil and housing took me about 90 minutes including the time needed to run the HVAC (fan only) to dry out the coil and filter housing after using the cleaner.)

The liquid that drained from beneath the Tesla Model Y from the foaming cleaner (about 1 cup) was dirty but not excessively so. The original cabin air filters had trapped dirt and other debris and definitely needed to be changed at or just prior to 2 years time. (I always park my Model Y inside my home garage. Wherever I go if possible I park my Model Y in a covered public garage. The amount of time my Tesla Model Y is exposed to the elements including rain, tree and grass pollen and other environmental debris is minimal. I inspect the air intake of my 2020 Tesla Model Y and have not found any leaves or other debris on the intake grate. (Note: My 2020 Model Y does not have the HEPA filter that is part of the Tesla Bioweapon Defense System that is now standard on all Tesla Model Y.)

It is my opinion that most of the issues that Tesla Model Y owners have with windows fogging excessively, condensation in the B pillar camera housings can be traced to not running the Climate Control enough (or at all) in an attempt to save a little energy. Most of these issues would not happen if these Tesla Model Y owners set the Climate Control to Auto, HVAC fan to Medium or High and a comfortable cabin temperature.

Odors from the HVAC system are usually mold and mildew odors. Mold and mildew can grow when conditions are favorable; temperatures above ~70F (21C) and relative humidity above 50%. Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the environment. Excessive moisture and/or organic material inside the dark spaces of an HVAC system provide ideal conditions for mold and mildew to start to grow. Under some environmental conditions you may have to clean the evaporator coil and housing and replace the cabin air filters more frequently.

In between the times when you replace the cabin air filters and cleaning the evaporator coil and filter housing you can use a spray cleaner such as Lysol spray to deodorize the HVAC system. (Lysol contains Ethyl alcohol which will kill mold and mildew.) Spray 1/2 can of the Lysol product into the air intake with the HVAC set to Fan Only mode (No AC). If you can't find or access the air intake you can spray the Lysol product underneath the passenger foot well with the Climate Control set to Recirculate Cabin Air with the HVAC blower fan on High. (The intake for the HVAC Recirculate setting is usually underneath the dashboard on the passenger side. You can lay a rag or towel on the floor of the passenger side so as not to soak the floor mat or liner with the Lysol spray.) After applying the Lysol spray close all doors and windows and let the HVAC system run in Fan Only mode for 30 minutes in the Recirculate Cabin Air Mode.) You may have to repeat the Lysol treatment periodically. The Lysol spray does not replace the need to periodically change the cabin air filters and clean the evaporator coil and filter housing.

Last edited:
Our LRY is our third electric car. We were looking at many electrics which were mostly not available, then Tesla cut their prices to a rational level and we ordered one and got it in 5 days. I am a nut about efficiency. Comments and wish list items:
1. I am able to get excellent range locally, I use about 180 wh/mile around town. As in my other electric cars the key to doing this is to coast a lot and avoid the inefficiencies of accelerating and regen. But its hard to watch the little green/gray bar graph to the side and keep it balanced. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a detent in the throttle at the neutral power point?
2. I've only used chill mode a little but all it seems to do is cut off the top end of power. My Honda Clarity PHEV has several throttle maps you can select with varying motor responses to accelerator pedal input. Is there some way to do that in the Y? Slower response but without cutting off the top end would make it easier to drive economically and still give you full power if needed.
3. The climate control seems primitive for an advanced car where heat/AC has a big effect on range. My home HVAC lets you set a temperature spread between heat and AC, we usually use about 10F. Why can't the Tesla controls do that? Another simpler way to help this would be to add a heat on/off button like for AC. I don't need any heat or AC in the 45 to 75F outdoor temperature range.
4. I read they softened up the suspension a few months ago. Its still fairly stiff to me, but fine for Florida where I live. If I was still in the northeast it might not be tolerable.
6 I have many doubts they will ever be able to use the cameras for accurate parking assist. Especially the front camera which does not even seem to be able to see the bumper.
What is an LRY? Thanks.

6 I have many doubts they will ever be able to use the cameras for accurate parking assist. Especially the front camera which does not even seem to be able to see the bumper.
1. Unlike nearly ever other EV or hybrid with blended braking, Teslas brake pedal is 100% friction brakes and they don’t believe in coasting.

2. No. Teslas drive mode is peculiar in that it limits max power. Most other vehicles with an eco mode still give max power at full throttle.

3. The HVAC is one of the most efficient in any car. Just set your temp and forget about it.

Reactions: WyomingEV
In my experience the Climate Control system will automatically dehumidify the cabin as required to prevent the windshield from fogging. For those times when you want to quickly defog the windshield and/or outside mirrors you can activate the windshield defogger/defroster mode (one tap for defog; two taps for maximum defrost.) The rear hatch glass can be defogged or defrosted separately using a separate on-screen button. In my experience turning on the windshield defogger/defroster and/or the rear hatch glass defogger/defroster will turn on the heating elements in the side view mirrors.
I haven't seen that to be the case...I wish it was. Generally once you've defrosted/defogged the windshield you can turn it off..but that's true for any car...I've had to turn it back on with my MYP once or twice though....
If you mean it can figure out based on temp/humidity that it needs to defog/defrost the windshield...I've never seen that happen..I really wish it did...

I haven't seen that to be the case...I wish it was. Generally once you've defrosted/defogged the windshield you can turn it off..but that's true for any car...I've had to turn it back on with my MYP once or twice though....
If you mean it can figure out based on temp/humidity that it needs to defog/defrost the windshield...I've never seen that happen..I really wish it did...
Did you have the Climate Control set to Auto? In the Auto setting I rarely have to activate the windshield defogger manually. Usually I am trying to defog the side mirrors when I turn on the rear window defogger/defroster (can't see anything out of the rear window 99% of the time anyway.)

That's what I was after. And thanks for taking the trouble to post such comprehensive reply!
I find one of the biggest reasons for interior fogging is dirty windows. Don't know if you already do something like this, but I get best results by scrubbing with a lot of Invisible Glass, wiping dry with towels, scrubbing with IG a second time, then removing with a good squeegee and doing the edges with paper towels.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
1. Unlike nearly ever other EV or hybrid with blended braking, Teslas brake pedal is 100% friction brakes and they don’t believe in coasting.

2. No. Teslas drive mode is peculiar in that it limits max power. Most other vehicles with an eco mode still give max power at full throttle.

3. The HVAC is one of the most efficient in any car. Just set your temp and forget about it.
1. Of course but that has nothing to do with coasting. I almost never use the friction brakes until well under 10 mph.
3. No I don't do that sorry. Having better control is not a big deal anyway as I drive 90% of the time year round with windows open.

6. I have many doubts they will ever be able to use the cameras for accurate parking assist. Especially the front camera which does not even seem to be able to see the bumper.

View attachment 913852
"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Pearl White Multi-Coat (1)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I have been driving my new MYP for a month now. My take from perhaps a different perspective:

I don't worry too much about how "efficiently" i drive the car. I bought it to drive and enjoy it for a few years then probably move on. I rarely keep cars more than 3-5 years. Also I draw battery from 90% to at most on a heavy day 40%. Often I can charge at work for free. Having said that:

1. The base autopilot and the FSD (which I rented), are not great (FSD) not nearly worth the 15000 they charge. Maybe I would pay 1-2000 at the most, or they should pay us given that were guinea pigs on a beta version. The system disconnects often and you have to be constantly applying torque on the steering in order to say on. FSD does miss and screw up quite a bit. The base version was good at keeping lane and speed but after it slowed down for a car it takes forever to accelerate back to speed..to the point where it annoys me and the traffic behind me. So I would give Tesla a 2 stars for their overhyped AP systems.

2. Acceleration is truly amazing on the performance model I have. Smooth, linear, quiet and leaves most cars on the road behind(including many of those priced over 100k,

3. Steering response is similar or better than many sports cars I have driven in the past....the ability to adjust it is a great option.

4. Suspension. I drive in Michigan(potholes galore...) the NE driving you alluded to. I think the suspension is tuned in great balance to the sports car buffs expectations of stiff response, with a bit of forgiveness for when you find a pothole or a slight bump on the freeway. But its not the old Cadillac boat...nor do I want it that way. I find it perfect for the car...and the variety of drivers. From sports car buffs to Dr. Mom driving to and from work. My wife who has a nice comfy Toyota Siena Hybrid Minivan cant wait to drive the Tesla.

5. Interior Comfort and Climate: I have not used the AC yet. Still Winter here. The heat works great. All 5 seats have heating plus steering wheel. and compared with ICE cars its always ready for me when I go to work in the morning. The seats are comfortable. Drivers seat keeps you snug if you drive it like a racecar, and comfortable for daily use. Lumbar on drivers side is nice. I hear they got rid of it on passenger side...dont find it to be a big deal esp if it saves a few bucks.

6. Its super quiet. Can barely hear the hum of the tires on the freeway. Great for taking calls or attending meetings.

7. MODS: I love that there is so much fun stuff to mod on this car. I added the following:

A. Power Frunk: It took about 3.5 hours following the video and product from EVOffer. I love using it. Works great and not that hard to install as some say, if you follow the EVOffer install video. If you are on the fence here based on some past negativity...get it. I use it all the time to put in cold groceries.
B. Compartment organizers: Center Console etc. Must have.
C. Tesla Door Lights. Easy install.
D. S3XY Buttons: honestly can do without these buttons once you get good at the main screen and phone app. I installed them and use them but prob not necessary. Also they kept falling off and I had to really heat up the plastic with a blow-dryer to get them to stick. Prob cause I live in cold Michigan.
E: Tint. Did the front windows to same degree as the rear windows.

8. The way I drive, I am a bit aggressive and temperamental at times with the Gauss pedal... I usually get about 2-3 percent less range than the estimate. and its nice that after a while I know how much battery I will use to various destiantions..so can plan based on that. Don't usually need the computer estimate. but when I do I know what its going to be off by. Their estimate assumes grandma is driving on cruise control in the slow lane on the freeway. I dont find that heating takes up much energy. I use the app Tesla provides and its a very small percentage.

The inefficiencies of acceleration and regen are very small, the powertrain efficiency is in the low 90's when it's in its sweet spot, and high 80's when you're running from the cops. That few percent difference is negligible from a range or wear perspective. The vast majority of your energy is consumed by speed, and since drag increases with speed squared, a few mph can make a noticeable difference. As for regen, yes, it's only 90-something percent efficient so you don't want to mash-release-mash-release the Gauss pedal (hehe) unnecessarily. Just drive like a normal person and don't piss off the traffic behind you, the car does a great job of managing power consumption itself.

The temp spread on home HVAC is because you use it all day and it's very expensive. It would be insane to run the heater all morning and then switch right over to A/C. But you're only in the car for a short part of the day so it generally doesn't need to switch between heating and cooling. Just set it to auto and bump the temp down 1 degree if you're feeling super hot, or up 1 degree when really cold. If it's too loud or not loud enough, you can adjust the speed. And if you don't care about efficiency, you can long-press the fan icon to turn it off and then roll down your window, but that will use a lot more power.

I have been following some similar threads comparing our cars to more mainstream vehicles. Gonebanannas' original post commenting on the primitive climate control system caught my eye. Spot on!
The Octovalve and heat pump condenser reheat are genius, making the heating quite efficient. I have not yet experienced how the air conditioning deals with heat soak, but I expect the air conditioning has sufficient capacity. The control of the capacity, however, is a throwback to early days. There is a large hysteresis band and wide outlet temperature swings. Although clever, the Coanda effect dash outlets exacerbate the discomfort of occupants.
I truly love my MY with it's long list of advanced and cool features. The wonderfulness makes the annoyances of issues like poor climate control that have been solved years ago by others even more annoying though.

Reactions: Gonebananas
I have been driving my new MYP for a month now. My take from perhaps a different perspective:

I don't worry too much about how "efficiently" i drive the car. I bought it to drive and enjoy it for a few years then probably move on. I rarely keep cars more than 3-5 years. Also I draw battery from 90% to at most on a heavy day 40%. Often I can charge at work for free. Having said that:

1. The base autopilot and the FSD (which I rented), are not great (FSD) not nearly worth the 15000 they charge. Maybe I would pay 1-2000 at the most, or they should pay us given that were guinea pigs on a beta version. The system disconnects often and you have to be constantly applying torque on the steering in order to say on. FSD does miss and screw up quite a bit. The base version was good at keeping lane and speed but after it slowed down for a car it takes forever to accelerate back to speed..to the point where it annoys me and the traffic behind me. So I would give Tesla a 2 stars for their overhyped AP systems.

2. Acceleration is truly amazing on the performance model I have. Smooth, linear, quiet and leaves most cars on the road behind(including many of those priced over 100k,

3. Steering response is similar or better than many sports cars I have driven in the past....the ability to adjust it is a great option.

4. Suspension. I drive in Michigan(potholes galore...) the NE driving you alluded to. I think the suspension is tuned in great balance to the sports car buffs expectations of stiff response, with a bit of forgiveness for when you find a pothole or a slight bump on the freeway. But its not the old Cadillac boat...nor do I want it that way. I find it perfect for the car...and the variety of drivers. From sports car buffs to Dr. Mom driving to and from work. My wife who has a nice comfy Toyota Siena Hybrid Minivan cant wait to drive the Tesla.

5. Interior Comfort and Climate: I have not used the AC yet. Still Winter here. The heat works great. All 5 seats have heating plus steering wheel. and compared with ICE cars its always ready for me when I go to work in the morning. The seats are comfortable. Drivers seat keeps you snug if you drive it like a racecar, and comfortable for daily use. Lumbar on drivers side is nice. I hear they got rid of it on passenger side...dont find it to be a big deal esp if it saves a few bucks.

6. Its super quiet. Can barely hear the hum of the tires on the freeway. Great for taking calls or attending meetings.

7. MODS: I love that there is so much fun stuff to mod on this car. I added the following:

A. Power Frunk: It took about 3.5 hours following the video and product from EVOffer. I love using it. Works great and not that hard to install as some say, if you follow the EVOffer install video. If you are on the fence here based on some past negativity...get it. I use it all the time to put in cold groceries.
B. Compartment organizers: Center Console etc. Must have.
C. Tesla Door Lights. Easy install.
D. S3XY Buttons: honestly can do without these buttons once you get good at the main screen and phone app. I installed them and use them but prob not necessary. Also they kept falling off and I had to really heat up the plastic with a blow-dryer to get them to stick. Prob cause I live in cold Michigan.
E: Tint. Did the front windows to same degree as the rear windows.

8. The way I drive, I am a bit aggressive and temperamental at times with the Gauss pedal... I usually get about 2-3 percent less range than the estimate. and its nice that after a while I know how much battery I will use to various destiantions..so can plan based on that. Don't usually need the computer estimate. but when I do I know what its going to be off by. Their estimate assumes grandma is driving on cruise control in the slow lane on the freeway. I dont find that heating takes up much energy. I use the app Tesla provides and its a very small percentage.
Thanks for the mod suggestions. Can you add links? I never know who to get them from. So many options.

Reactions: Gonebananas
The inefficiencies of acceleration and regen are very small, the powertrain efficiency is in the low 90's when it's in its sweet spot, and high 80's when you're running from the cops. That few percent difference is negligible from a range or wear perspective. The vast majority of your energy is consumed by speed, and since drag increases with speed squared, a few mph can make a noticeable difference. As for regen, yes, it's only 90-something percent efficient so you don't want to mash-release-mash-release the Gauss pedal (hehe) unnecessarily. Just drive like a normal person and don't piss off the traffic behind you, the car does a great job of managing power consumption itself.

The temp spread on home HVAC is because you use it all day and it's very expensive. It would be insane to run the heater all morning and then switch right over to A/C. But you're only in the car for a short part of the day so it generally doesn't need to switch between heating and cooling. Just set it to auto and bump the temp down 1 degree if you're feeling super hot, or up 1 degree when really cold. If it's too loud or not loud enough, you can adjust the speed. And if you don't care about efficiency, you can long-press the fan icon to turn it off and then roll down your window, but that will use a lot more power.
It might use more power on the highway, but I rarely drive there, that's the 10% of the time I don't open the windows. Around town, up to about 50 mph where I live, it definitely uses way less power to open the windows.