Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impromptu Cross-Country Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was finally able to do the road trip I had dreamed about when I first heard about the Supercharger network. Unlike a lot of other people, I did no planning whatsoever. I decided to go the night before the trip. I packed up my three youngest and headed out at 6:30 am from Anaheim, California on Saturday. My destination: The Ark Encounter, Williamstown, Kentucky.
002Kentucky.jpg

We arrived at 8:30 Monday morning. I had driven straight through sleeping at the Superchargers. We enjoyed three hours of touring the new attraction that opened up just last month.
008ArkEncounter.jpg

When we could not find a hotel available nearby, we looked on my iPad mini for a hotel near a supercharger on our next leg to Palmyra, New York. We found one in Erie, Pennsylvania. Tuesday morning, we headed East once again. We arrived in Palmyra in the early afternoon. We explored the Hill Cumorah and found a cool rock with a personal inscription.
049HillCumorah.jpg

We also stopped by the Joseph Smith Farm to see the log cabin, A Frame house and the Sacred Grove. We also took some pictures of the new Palmyra Temple.
056SmithFarm.jpg

095PalmyraTemple.jpg

That evening, we headed to Niagara Falls. I was hoping to get there before the light faded, but the traffic stopped that from happening. However, it turned out to be a fantastic sight as there were lights shining across the water into the Falls. We got some fantastic shots and bought a t-shirt for each person.
103NiagaraFalls.jpg

We once again drove through the night to Springfield, Missouri. We arrived at our hotel, but were unable to get the car to charge. I found that there was a hotel about three miles away that had a destination charger and I headed over there. Unfortunately, they were completely booked, but they allowed me to plug in anyway. I walked the three miles back to my hotel and arrived soaked in sweat. I took a long swim at the pool, did some remote work and got some sleep. The next morning (Thursday), after finding out that Uber was not in the area, I took a taxi that cost me $15 to return to my car. I thanked the guy at the desk profusely when returning the key. We next headed to Fantastic Caverns. This is a cave that has jeep tours. I was able to have the best seat - right next to the driver. We took some awesome photos and bought a few knick-knacks.
120FantasticCaverns.jpg

We jumped in the Tesla and headed towards Utah. We arrived Friday afternoon. We spent around six hours visiting with my brother's family. At 11pm, we headed out for home. We arrived at 7:30 am on Saturday, so the entire trip took one week.

I just have to say that driving the Tesla way is fantastic. I love that I can just put any destination in and I am directed to the proper Supercharger stops. I hope others that do not yet have a Tesla will see how amazing it is to use the Superchargers to go anywhere their imagination takes them.

Brent

Very cool!! I'll have to send this post to my friends who continue to say owning a Tesla would just be too much effort planning ahead. Love the pics on your trip. Have been to those caverns a couple of times in my life and they continue to amaze me. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Mknac
I was finally able to do the road trip I had dreamed about when I first heard about the Supercharger network. Unlike a lot of other people, I did no planning whatsoever. I decided to go the night before the trip.
Brent

I love your spirit and your children have a lifelong memory! That's exactly how I will do it. No planning and completely spontaneous.....like the rest of my life. Welcome home!

I was finally able to do the road trip I had dreamed about when I first heard about the Supercharger network.
This is wonderful! I'm a bit jealous we didn't get to do any tripping this summer after our cross country trip last summer.
You ought to have a bunch of chargers under your belt. feel free to come on over and post them on the superchargers used thread. If you don't remember them all the'll be on your car's nav.
It sounds like you had a great time and that's what it's all about.

:D:eek::DA few questions:

The four of you slept in the car?
Did the kids fight?
How did the kids not drive you nuts?

Yes, the four of us slept in the car. I slept in the driver's seat, my daughter slept in the passenger seat and the two boys slept in the rear seat. We brought two camping mats to help with the sleeping arrangements. No, the kids did not fight for the most part. We had a couple of little episodes (he's touching me!), but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a strange guy - I actually love spending time with my kids and this was a trip that I will long remember. I'm just so happy that I was finally able to somehow get one of these amazing vehicles.

Thanks to everyone else for your kind comments. You guys rule!

Brent

Reactions: Ormond
Great thread. I'm impressed that you could make such a long trip without a lot of planning. I am a new owner of a 70D (about 2 weeks) and I must admit that I wimped out on taking the car on a trip this weekend. I was worried about not being able to find destination charging in the rural area of Alabama that we were visiting for three days. Took the wife's ICE SUV. Turns out there were open RV 50 amp hook ups at the destination that I could have used.
The Tesla is definitely going on our next trip.... South GA to Outer banks of NC.

Very cool!! I'll have to send this post to my friends who continue to say owning a Tesla would just be too much effort planning ahead. .....

Err, this is a forum for EV enthusiasts. Isn't this saga

We arrived at our hotel, but were unable to get the car to charge. I found that there was a hotel about three miles away that had a destination charger and I headed over there. Unfortunately, they were completely booked, but they allowed me to plug in anyway. I walked the three miles back to my hotel and arrived soaked in sweat. I took a long swim at the pool, did some remote work and got some sleep. The next morning (Thursday), after finding out that Uber was not in the area, I took a taxi that cost me $15 to return to my car.

exactly the sort of thing that keeps ICE drivers from making the swith to EV? He was still lucky that none of the guests of the other hotel needed a charger.

Otherwise, nice trip.

We arrived at our hotel, but were unable to get the car to charge. I found that there was a hotel about three miles away that had a destination charger and I headed over there. Unfortunately, they were completely booked, but they allowed me to plug in anyway. I walked the three miles back to my hotel and arrived soaked in sweat. I took a long swim at the pool, did some remote work and got some sleep. The next morning (Thursday), after finding out that Uber was not in the area, I took a taxi that cost me $15 to return to my car.

exactly the sort of thing that keeps ICE drivers from making the swith to EV? He was still lucky that none of the guests of the other hotel needed a charger.

Otherwise, nice trip.

Thanks for the clarification Debbie Downer. :(

Otherwise, nice trip.
To be fair, most people would at least plan out the stops and hotels before leaving. I did not, and therefore was restricted to what hotels were available. We actually only decided to stop at the Fantastic Caverns when we saw a billboard on our way to the Ark Encounter. I think there is a happy medium where you can have a great trip taking a Tesla anywhere in the country using a combination of Superchargers, destination chargers and other chargers.

Brent