Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

improved phone key reliability on 2019.24.4 (maybe)

has your phone key reliability increased with 2019.24.4?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't noticed a change based on version, but my experience at first was flawless. Not once did I ever try to open the door with the phone in my pocket and it not open. Then a few weeks ago, I decided to change my tesla.com account email. Doing this kicked me out of the app and dropped my phone from the car. I had to log back into the app and add the phone back as a new phone. Ever since then, it has worked mostly ok, but often requires me to unlock the phone before it will unlock the door. I have an iPhone XR, so unlocking the phone just means taking it out of my pocket and glancing down at it, so compared to others this isn't a huge deal. But I'd love to go back to the flawless connection I had at first.

I wonder if deleting and re-adding it would help.

I've had problems once or twice a week with my iPhone 6+, had to turn on airplane mode and off to regain access. (or toggle BT)

Upgraded to an iPhone XS and never had an issue. It's been 8 months, same with my fiance's iPhone XS.
same here.....my iPhone 6 plus gives me fits......my wife’s XS does not seem to have the same issues o have....thinking of getting new phone but dont know what to get....

I've had nothing but issues with the Bluetooth in my mid range M3 since It was delivered in February of this year. I've left my car with the service center no less than 9 times where I was told your "phone is the issue" (purchased 3 new phones, an S9 and 2 note 8's) "an update would fix it" (at least 9 updates since delivery) and no fix until this latest update. Prior to the update my phone wouldn't connect to the car more than 95 percent of the time and Bluetooth worked less than 50 percent of the time I got in the car. Since the update I have a connection issue less than 5 percent of the time and it's amazing. Still having other issues but at least that one is fixed.

Has anyone else noticed that opening the trunk works flawlessly, but opening the driver's door is not as consistent? I find it odd that I can open the trunk, close the trunk, walk to the driver's door and it won't unlock.

you sir, are correct. For some reason the trunk is more reliable than the doors. Same symptoms here since 2019.24.4.

what DOES work better now is that I had never needed to reboot my phone again since 2019.24.4, but it's still finicky:
-sometimes it works flawlessly, either to open the door or go into drive
-if it doesn't work, hold the door handle in the open position (if trying to get into the car) or keep brake pedal pressed (if trying to shift), many times it works after 1-5 seconds of hilding this pattern
-if nothing works, while holding the door handle or pressing the break pedal, put your phone into plane mode, and then disable plane mode, it will work after 2-3 seconds

same here.....my iPhone 6 plus gives me fits......my wife’s XS does not seem to have the same issues o have....thinking of getting new phone but dont know what to get....
I have an ancient iPhone 6 too but have had zero problems with it as a key on my new 3P+ so far (just three weeks in). It has worked perfectly on two versions: 2019.15.104.1 and 2019.28.2. I was worried about it being an issue before purchasing based on what I read here.

I wonder what's different between our two setups? I can understand issues on the mess that is Android but iPhones are fairly locked down.

Has anyone else noticed that opening the trunk works flawlessly, but opening the driver's door is not as consistent? I find it odd that I can open the trunk, close the trunk, walk to the driver's door and it won't unlock.
Yes, this is consistent with my experience as well. Very odd. Makes me think that it is not hardware (the car and phone are in communication) but is a software bug. I upgraded from a Galaxy S6 to a Galaxy S9 thinking it would fix the connection problems, but it does not appear to have improved at all.

Yes. Day 1 with my 3 and having this issue. functions in app working but phone not recognized as a key. Keeps asking for keycard to get car to move.