Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improvements in build quality since 2014?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the cusp of buying a late 2014 model S, 85KW with tech spec and air suspension through a dealer but not Tesla.... my friend James at Tesla is still eager to sell me a new 100D (PCP financed). My options are:
  • Buy a second-hand S then replace with a new Model 3 (when available in the UK in 2019)
  • Buy a new S
The impact of depreciation is a fairly major factor and I'm hoping to get your help to decide:
  1. BUILD QUALITY?
    Has the build quality of the S improved significantly over the past few years - the Tesla sales guy suggested it had but I wonder if that not just his desire to sell me a new one.
  2. DEPRECIATION?
    This is a tough one... but what do you think about depreciation factors over a three year period? An 85KW battery is not far off the current 100D - but in three years time a range of "only" 240m may seem small but it will still be working well (only about 60,000 miles... I understand that the drive train is designed for 1,000,000m).
  3. SEATS?
    The seats feel firm - the sales guy tells me the new cars have better seats... true?

The car has AP1 which I'm perfectly happy about (AP2 users sound rather frustrated at present) - I doubt whether AP2 vs. AP1 will affect the resale value much.

Do any of you have relevant stories for me: Purchased new and then sold...or purchased used and then lost a lot?
thanks
Andrew
Bristol - England

PS: What is the best way to put bikes on a Model S

I have a 2014 S85 with AP1, Leather seats, tech and subzero. Also Have a 2017 60D with AP2, cloth seats and subzero. I like them both and I don't notice much difference when driving. I definitely like the newer textile seats better than the leather in the 2014 as they warm up faster and feel better to me. Also the 2014 has a much bigger frunk so it's marginally more practical. Things I like about the 2017 are the black headliner and the center console but they aren't must haves. AP1 and AP2 are now on par. Both have certain pros and cons but AP2 has caught up as far as lane keeping goes. The 2014 has 55000 km and still feels solid. I doubt you could go wrong either way.

• Informative
Reactions: b team
I currently have a 2015 S85 and also a late 2016 90D. Have previously had a 2014 S85. In the UK, so hopefully, I can help a little...

1. Build Quality
Definitely improved between 2014 and 2016. That's not to say the 2014 is 'bad' - its just not quite as good. I wouldn't let that be the major factor in your decision.

2. Depreciation
The late 2014 your thinking of buying has already taken the major hit, so in your time frame (2019 for Model 3) its got to work out a lot cheaper than a new 100D. Have you also factored in free Supercharging (which presumably the 2014 has)?

3. Seats
Yes, I'd agree - better and more supporting in the 2016. But, again, the 2014 are fine as well.

4. AP1/AP2
AP1 is fine. Shouldn't be a deciding factor (at the present time, at least). But when/if AP3 turns up...

5. Bikes
Does the 2014 have the panoramic roof? If so, then it will also have the mounts for a roof rack.