Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Japan we are sad, because we can not choose the Long Range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Additional information from Japan.
We are sad because we can not choose the Long Range.
↓I tried to compare.
Tesla Model3 Comparison of models sold in Japan and the United States

Will the long range be sold in Japan someday?
It seems that Earon Mask does not work in countries where the market size is small.

Vincent on Twitter

In terms of the differences highlighted between like models, some of the difference in specs like range and acceleration are likely explainable. Range estimates in the USA are based on EPA testing, Japan has its own equivalent so you'll see subtle differences there. Also, for acceleration, 100 km/h is 62 mph which does usually mean .2 or .3 seconds 0-60 time differences.

I would not go as far to say Japan is a small market size. It is in fact the third largest car market behind US and China. I also feel Japanese people have pioneered a lot of automobile technology including hybrid, plug-in hybrid and even full EV, so I'm sure Tesla sees a market potential there of customers who are not shy for new car tech. I believe Japanese people feel favorably about American companies and particularly tech companies as well. Personally, having spent years in Japan, I feel Tesla would perform well there. I do think Tesla has to start small and limit configurations to maximize profits. It's expensive to offer multiple configurations, so simplifying solutions, especially as they enter a market is a wise business move. Additionally, while Japan has a huge car market, it's also a very dense country with limited long haul infrastructure. Automobiles are less used for inter-city travel as trains are so reliable, available and fast. The need for long range in the US and parts of Europe is very obvious, but in Japan it's probably not as big of a concern, and even the Standard Range is sufficient for majority of the Japanese population (I'd imagine). Comparing a standard range Tesla to a Nissan Leaf with dual battery and maximum range, the Tesla standard range still has longer range.

Anyways, I think over time if the Japanese market proves successful for Tesla, there will be more configurations, but Tesla needs to streamline their business in new market expansions, and I think this makes sense for Japan. Thanks for your interest, hopefully a loyal Japanese fan base begins to develop!

Cheers and じゃまた!

We didn't originally have all the model options from the start. Maybe they're doing the same thing over there and will slowly introduce other variants?

On a side note, I love the 'Earon Mask'. I am going to call Elon that from now on.

In japanese, there is a sound between "L" and "R" that is part of the japanese language (I dont speak japanese but have been trying to learn). So OP in this thread typed elon's name in the manner in which it would likely be said by a native japanese speaker.

It does look awesome though :)

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
In japanese, there is a sound between "L" and "R" that is part of the japanese language (I dont speak japanese but have been trying to learn). So OP in this thread typed elon's name in the manner in which it would likely be said by a native japanese speaker.

Effectively, there is no L (in any capacity) in Japanese language. Outside of that difference, Japanese phonetics map extremely well to English. From a pronunciation standpoint, Japanese is a very easy language for English speakers to pronounce. However, the lack of an "L" letter/sound in Japanese presents challenges for Japanese native speakers.

Japanese language does have an "R" based alphabet set: ra (rah), ri (ree), ru (roo), re (ray), ro (roh) (and rya, ryu, ryo combos). I do not feel it's a combo of R and L, it's very much more R than L (like 90% R, 10% L - or like the sound a tiger, "Grrrrrrrr"). Japanese do slightly roll the R sound, but not to the extreme of French or other languages. Words like "Ramen" (Rah-mehn) and "Arigato" (Ah-Ree-Gah-Toh) use this same "R" and even heard natively there's minimal roll in my ear at least.

Anyways, as a result, this "R" based sound is the closest thing in Japanese to our "L" based sound by common denomination. As an English speaker, it's difficult to pronounce things you've never heard before, so the same thing applies to other language speakers. In Japanese peoples' case, as a result, Rs and Ls are used fairly interchangeably. Just like when English speakers butcher a language that doesn't have similar letters/sounds (French, Vietnamese, etc. are good examples). Seriously, try to pronounce something in Vietnamese, the sounds are just unnatural feeling/sounding to an English speaker.

So Elon would be pronounced Eh-Rahn, Eeh-Rahn, Eh-Rohn or Eeh-Rohn by most Japanese people just by habit.

Last edited:
The model range is actually pretty much the same as in the UK (the other large RHD market).

Actually, for the on-menu options it's better than in Europe: you get SR+ and then you jump straight to the P at a price similar to the AWD in Europe, and then you can decide whether you want the Performance Upgrade Package or not, still ending up with a relatively lower difference between the SR+ and the full P+PUP.

In Europe we get the software-nerfed AWD instead of P-, and we pay more for the P+ (P with PUP).

The difference is that in Europe you can actually order the RWD LR off-menu. My guess is simply that they have decided for the moment not to build these in a RHD configuration. The higher performance of the cheapest AWD model in the RHD markets (and lower price for the P+PUP) is probably to compensate for that. In those markets, long range jumps straight to P-, but at a relative price comparable to the AWD in other markets.

I am very aware of Japanese pronounciation. I AM Japanese and grew up in Japan. I said I 'love it', not ridiculing it. I think it sounds better than Elon Musk. :)

But as mods have stated, back to topic, as I stated, I think you'll start to see more model variants come up over time.

Reactions: KJD
Japan has smaller distances, like the UK, so I can understand why Tesla is focusing on SR+ and the performance version, at least initially.

The Australians, however, with distances more like the US & Canada, are correctly (IMHO) dismayed that they don't have the LR/RWD as an option for RHD, and there are complaints from them. If the Aussies can get Tesla to build LR/RWD in RHD, hopefully Japan will be able to order it.
Doubt if Elon wants a bunch of pissed off Aussies. :)

To the OP's very basic non technical question.... maybe.

Concerning pronunciation issues...

Moderator note: ridiculing pronunciations by a non-native English speaker is uncalled for.

Maybe you removed some offending posts that I didn't see, but I would like to just note that the OP technically brought up any pronunciation conversations but putting "Long Range" in his title and post, and then misspelling Elon's name. Maybe it was inadvertent, maybe on purpose, maybe he just didn't know how to spell Elon's name, but the rest of his post he didn't seem to have any trouble with the English Language.

Additional information from Japan.
We are sad because we can not choose the Long Range.
↓I tried to compare.
Tesla Model3 Comparison of models sold in Japan and the United States

Will the long range be sold in Japan someday?
It seems that Earon Mask does not work in countries where the market size is small.

Vincent on Twitter

I was anxious to order my Model 3 since the car it was going to replace was pretty old and starting to need money put into it. Even though Tesla started out with LR here it was only offered in RWD and I had my heart set on the AWD version. After they fulfilled those early RWD orders, they did come out with the AWD version but there was a number of months wait; so no doubt the LR version especially being a more expensive option, will get produced but expect a number of months before they change the production line. The lines have to be shut down during this time and right now they are working hard to get production numbers up.

I wasnt trying to be offensive, sorry if anyone took it that way. As I mentioned I dont speak the language but want to. I am hoping moderator was not directing that at me but if so, I am sorry.

In any case, hopefully the long range tesla becomes available there after some time as well.

but the rest of his post he didn't seem to have any trouble with the English Language.
Who says non-native speakers "have trouble with the English language"? Some of us have even written an MSc dissertation in formal English.

All you need to do is cut us some slack. The same slack that we'll cut you when you ever try to communicate in Japanese or Dutch ;-).

and then misspelling Elon's name
You're obviously not that familiar with the intricacies of Japanese katakana spelling of foreign names and of Romaji transcription. Not even after several posts about the subject in this thread (even though these are written in English and should be intelligible to you).

Who says non-native speakers "have trouble with the English language"? Some of us have even written an MSc dissertation in formal English.

All you need to do is cut us some slack. The same slack that we'll cut you when you ever try to communicate in Japanese or Dutch ;-).

You're obviously not that familiar with the intricacies of Japanese katakana spelling of foreign names and of Romaji transcription. Not even after several posts about the subject in this thread (even though these are written in English and should be intelligible to you).

I guess the only one who can say for sure whether they misspelled Elons name in jest or in all seriousness is the OP. And I will be the first to apologize but the are many people who make those misspellings on purpose. If it was done in all seriousness then shame on all those who made comments about it. If it was done in jest then shame on the OP?

OP, care to chime in?