Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In the future when my battery needs replacement, will they use the new tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting question, I have MY 2020 with 165,000 mile on it, I'm hoping the battery holds up well into 300k by the time the car is paid off but perhaps will need to replace battery in 3 to 5 years. MY battery is the slightly smaller 74kwh pack vs the close to 79kwh the new Y ship with, I wonder if the replacement would be the larger 79kwh...?

Tesla really discourages people from replacing their old batteries.
Sadly, I think this is the conclusion of this topic.

The only chance IMO for new tech batteries being available is aftermarket, and you can be sure Tesla won’t easily allow a swap, similar to how Apple ties trivial
Components to one particular phone and doesn’t support part swaps without them being involved.

I’m curious to know when down the road my model y needs a battery replacement, will they be upgraded to the new tech available at that time?
I'm guessing that by the time the battery needs a replacement, the warranty will be over and it will be on your dime, so the question is will you* be upgrading to the new tech? I suspect that given the pace at which EV technology is moving, replacing the battery vs getting a new car might be the question you'll have to ponder, or maybe it will be a really easy decision. I wouldn't compare these future old Teslas to upgrading old ice vehicles or even old PCs for that matter. I'd think of it as trying to upgrade an old iPad, which is what these cars are referred to all the time (iPad with wheels).

Sadly, I think this is the conclusion of this topic.

The only chance IMO for new tech batteries being available is aftermarket, and you can be sure Tesla won’t easily allow a swap, similar to how Apple ties trivial
Components to one particular phone and doesn’t support part swaps without them being involved.
Yep...

And IMHO, the only "real" chance for anyone having a different experience would be for another more "enlightened" producer to come in and give them "real" competition. Even then though, Tesla is likely to combat such an occurrence with intransigence and obstinance. It's in their DNA and like individual personalities...stuff like that doesn't typically change without some catastrophic experience...like "near death" or other soul shaking issues occurring.

Failing that...the only other "plausible" movement would have to come through government action and with the absolute ridiculousness of modern politics in all directions...I guess that's just as likely/unlikely too...LOL

Interesting question, I have MY 2020 with 165,000 mile on it, I'm hoping the battery holds up well into 300k by the time the car is paid off but perhaps will need to replace battery in 3 to 5 years. MY battery is the slightly smaller 74kwh pack vs the close to 79kwh the new Y ship with, I wonder if the replacement would be the larger 79kwh...?
My first Model S lasted 320k miles, then the battery died. Considering I abused the battery all these years, that's not bad. It as still under warranty but unfortunately the car was totaled so I never got the replacement. The second Model S I had had 230k on it when I sold it. Battery was doing well. Both of these were first generation batteries and Tesla has learned a lot since then. Aside from some individual cases where a battery fails prematurely, I am convinced the current 3 and Y batteries will last at least 300k miles.

I just got a new Y and I do drive a lot. around 60-80k a year. But I can't see myself driving this car for 10 years. Not because I don't think it could last that long. There will so many new cars out by then, so many improvements, so many different options that aren't available now, so much new tech in all aspects of vehicles. My personal need for a vehicle are likely going to change. I just don't plan to keep things the same for the next 10 years.

Like has been said it'll probably be too expensive to replace the whole battery for you after the warranty period has ended and you'll most likely want a new EV.
When you decide to sell the car and shop for a new one I'd recommend getting one with an LFP pack so that you won't worry about replacing the battery for the next 20 years.
LFP batteries are said to cost roughly 15-20% less compared to NCM batteries which are in all the long range Teslas.
Currently, Teslas LFP packs have a 60kWh nominal capacity compared to 72-80kWh for the NCM counterparts so you're gonna pay even less due to the lower capacity difference.
LFP packs don't catch on fire and they're puncture resistant, same can't be said for NCM packs by just looking at lab tests on youtube.
LFP packs degrade less in the long run and can handle more supercharging cycles than their NCM counterparts because they handle heat better.
LFP packs are going to be used in the cheapest EV's e.g. Tesla model 2 Toyota Yaris esque hatchbacks, further lowering the price of LFP packs in the future cause of economies of scale.

When shopping around for a car I get that people get fomo'd into getting the bigger battery, better traction AWD car when frankly 99% of them could just as easily get the base version and still be fine.
When my battery caputs after 20 years of driving I'll be fine forking out the $1500 it will cost to replace my LFP pack, because it's chump change compared to buying a new NCM pack.