Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In transit VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could expand on the current round of cars that are in-transit and have non-standard VIN's applied.
Looking at the source code for the current inventory S, 3, and X cars all have the usual start of "5YJ" but after the model digit, they have 3 numbers then an underscore with the rest being what appears to be hexadecimal code:

"VIN":"5YJX204_4c3279719302fee0e7376c5ccccccc"

(I've blanked out the last few letters with c's just in case its still possible to ascertain the VIN and didn't want to up set any mods).

Thoughts?

Cheers
CP

Tesla have probably realised having the whole VIN in the source code, unencrypted, is unnecessary and rather silly.

if the encryption key is rotated it would also mean that you wouldn't necessarily know if your VIN changed, i.e. you were allocated a different car.

Tesla have probably realised having the whole VIN in the source code, unencrypted, is unnecessary and rather silly.

if the encryption key is rotated it would also mean that you wouldn't necessarily know if your VIN changed, i.e. you were allocated a different car.

My VIN is yet to appear in the source code so I can't as yet prove or disprove this theory, but one I read was that by encrypting the inventory car VIN's it prevented people from working out how old the car was.

There's a VIN tracker site which will give an approx build date of the car.