Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inappropriate Windshield Wipes Related to Windshield Pitting?

What describes your situation?

• I experience inappropriate wipes and my windshield is not pitted.

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • I experience inappropriate wipes and my windshield is pitted.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I do not experience inappropriate wipes and my windshield is not pitted.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I do not experience inappropriate wipes and my windshield is pitted.

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With recent software releases, many of us have noticed that when wipers are set to auto, they occasionally activate even when the windshield is completely dry. This is a problem for me—I find that this happens a few times per hour of driving.

My car's (Nick's) windshield is quite pitted such that when the sun shines at just the right angle, it seems looks speckled (otherwise I don't notice it at all).

So, I was wondering whether pitting of the windshield in the area of the cameras might contribute to the inappropriate wiping. Perhaps the pitting is occasionally enough to send the algorithm over the threshold such that the car thinks it's raining. Arguing against that, on my car, the inappropriate wipes don't seem correlated with sun angle.

The purpose of the poll is to see if those with less pitting experience less inappropriate wiping.

With recent software releases, many of us have noticed that when wipers are set to auto, they occasionally activate even when the windshield is completely dry. This is a problem for me—I find that this happens a few times per hour of driving.

Recent software releases have nothing to do with this.
Tesla auto-wiper programming has always been wonky and whimsical. Except for one case - my wipers ALWAYS turn on when I pull into my garage. For no good reason.
That's why I have learned to never use auto-wipe setting. It never does what I want it to do.

My car's (Nick's) windshield is quite pitted such that when the sun shines at just the right angle, it seems looks speckled (otherwise I don't notice it at all).

That's normal.
Windshields "wear" and get pitted from road debris impacts over time.

less inappropriate wiping.

That sounds like a pretty good political campaign slogan!
If you run for office on that, you've got my vote!

a

In my opinion, the issue is the addition of new stimuli for the wiper AI - namely, the observation of cloudy skies and wet roads. Previously, the system was just looking at rain drops on the window. I think this is one of those two steps forward, one step back situations where the AI needs to learn these new stimuli. I suspect the next update, whenever that finally comes, will significantly improve wiper function.

For what its worth, owners of brand new cars are having these same issues, so it's not windshield pitting.

I just see this thread, but though I'd input my experience. Early 2018 Model 3, never had issues with auto wipers that I can remember. About 3 years ago when I started getting a lot of messages about AP being blinded by the sun. Cleaned the windshield in front of the cameras and noticed two tiny pits in the glass. Went to a glass shop and they filled them for free. Got rid of the camera blinding issue. It's possible that pits in front of the cameras can trick the software.