Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior windshield haze while wiping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I've got a 22M3LR with 7600 miles on it (took delivery this spring). Lately, I've increasingly noticed that, when it's raining and the wipers are operating (especially intermittently), they leave a haze on the windshield that makes visibility difficult or even dangerous when headlights are oncoming. I've been driving for almost 40 years and, though I've seen some of this on other cars before, this seems worse than those instances. (FWIW, when the windshield is dry or the wipers are not operating, the glass seems perfectly clear.)

I've been using Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner with Rain Repellent when washing the car, but tried Stoner Invisible Glass yesterday on the exterior (I'd been using it on the interior only). That didn't seem to resolve the issue.

Any suggestions? Is it possibly already time to replace the wiper blades?

Thanks!

Todd

Hello all,

I've got a 22M3LR with 7600 miles on it (took delivery this spring). Lately, I've increasingly noticed that, when it's raining and the wipers are operating (especially intermittently), they leave a haze on the windshield that makes visibility difficult or even dangerous when headlights are oncoming. I've been driving for almost 40 years and, though I've seen some of this on other cars before, this seems worse than those instances. (FWIW, when the windshield is dry or the wipers are not operating, the glass seems perfectly clear.)

I've been using Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner with Rain Repellent when washing the car, but tried Stoner Invisible Glass yesterday on the exterior (I'd been using it on the interior only). That didn't seem to resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Todd
Many/most/all "rain repellent" type products can cause streaking you describe. I think it's usually residue left behind. Not sure how remove it. I don't like those products for multiple reasons and that's one of them.

Not exactly the same but the owners manual says:

Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing....

Not sure if this suggestion would work in your case, but sometimes the culprit is dirty wiper blades. Before you replace the wiper blades, try cleaning the blades really well. For example, I was experiencing something similar on my wife's Honda Accord. In addition to cleaning the glass really well, I also took some Mckees 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator, sprayed a small amount onto a microfiber towel, and then rubbed the wiper blades very thoroughly with it. This took care of the problem.

Reactions: PianoAl
Hello all,

Thanks!

Todd
I'm having the same issues with my 23 MX. First time I drove in the rain, I couldn't see a thing when the oncoming headlights disperse and scatter due to this haze. This other poster in this thread (Refresh interior windshield haze) mentioned using a clay bar successfully.

My 2023 Model X has the same exterior haze despite washing it with many different products. It’s so scary driving at night, in the rain, with on coming traffic. I took videos of my issue and Tesla is replacing my windshield as we speak. Wonder if there needs to be a recall and how that gets started.

My 2023 Model X has the same exterior haze despite washing it with many different products. It’s so scary driving at night, in the rain, with on coming traffic. I took videos of my issue and Tesla is replacing my windshield as we speak. Wonder if there needs to be a recall and how that gets started.
What, a replacement, really? The haze wouldn't come off at all? With anything?