Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incentive for Model X Owners to Show Off their Vehicles Locally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All so true. ssq, you have the best of intentions, but those little ones carry stuff into your car in their digestive system. You're doomed. Accept it. You will not win this battle and you must accept this now. You will soon learn the definition of 'projectile vomiting' and worse. And you'll still love them.

Just after Christmas, after leaving Lexington, KY's supercharger on our way to Florida, and as we were going through the mountains at the border of Tennessee, my 3 year old did it - you know, where there aren't great places to pull over and exits are about 10 miles apart. We spent about half an hour cleaning out the car on the side of an exit ramp using a half a pack of baby wipes. Meanwhile, if you have multiple kids in close proximity, vomiting is quite contagious. We carry a roll of those vanilla-scented office trashcan bags for the aftermath of such an event, each one gets a bag. The next 15 miles were spent with the pano roof open and the rear seat windows halfway down in the cool weather (at a bit of a Wh/mi penalty).

- - - Updated - - -

Simple solution: don't let them into your Model X for 6 hours after they eat ;)

I've found it's more like 12 hours.

Funniest thread. Here's a thought; maybe, it's time to realize it's just a car and not the crown jewels. There's a difference between "Keeping it nice" and "obsessive unrealistic yucky to be around paranoia so nobody but you even wants to be near your stupid car because you make it such and unpleasant experience".

I get it, though. I was there, I think most of us with enough experience were. My beloved S4 with the black optics and dual-tone leather seats that I custom ordered from Audi? I thought I'd teach my then 5 year old twins "respect and discipline" and then woke up to the fact that I became "that dick" who treated his car like a person or some sort of irreplaceable family heirloom. When the only thing that really mattered were the PEOPLE in the car and if they were enjoying themselves IN my car. That's way more important and you can keep it clean without being a maniac. Really, you can.

Anyway, scratches are going to happen in this car, one look at the shiny plastic tells you that. Try all you like; unless you wrap your guests in styrofoam, it's going to happen.

Sorry, but I just had a chuckle at this. First time parents always think they're going to be different from everyone else and control of the mess. Ha ha hahaha!! I mean no disrespect, but just remember this moment when you finally realize who's really in charge after the baby comes! Good luck!

I get your point, still holding on to some hope.. hehe!

I have 4 sons. I say "good luck" and wish you the best. :)

OMG, I cannot even imagine how one could cope with that "distributed force" if its not in your favor.

ditto that! the first time your kid pukes up cheese all over the car ...hopefully you can laugh thinking back on your comment. To be fair, to your best to instill whatever values you choose, but the major limiting factors are age and comprehension!
peronally bought a new stereo after my kids stuffed enough change into the cd changer to mess things up (wanted to upgrade anyhow?:cool:)
On another note, it makes zero sense to me that the seats/doors were partially inspired from car seats, and then put shiny black plastic on the back of the cahris. those little feet, grow rapidly to toddler feet and with it comes kicking/resting/scraping of the back of the front seats, intentionally and unintentionally. It would of been much better to have them leather wrapped.
then there is always this...
Amazon.com: Kick Mats by Freddie and Sebbie - Luxury Car Seat Back Protectors 2 Pack, Perfect Backseat Organizer and Seat Covers For Car, SUV, Auto and Child Safety Seat Accessories: Baby

View attachment 106889

This picture made me cringe. I saw another one on reddit wherein a kiddo scratched "I love you daddy!!" in CAPS, with a screwdriver, on a nice car! that must have hurt!!
Good product link, thanks for sharing.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

All so true. ssq, you have the best of intentions, but those little ones carry stuff into your car in their digestive system. You're doomed. Accept it. You will not win this battle and you must accept this now. You will soon learn the definition of 'projectile vomiting' and worse. And you'll still love them.
Funny thread indeed! and a lot of good feedback too, specially setting my expectations right.
I have seen projectile vomit scenes on Family guy, I guess I should brace for it to be manifested in reality now!

Funniest thread. Here's a thought; maybe, it's time to realize it's just a car and not the crown jewels. There's a difference between "Keeping it nice" and "obsessive unrealistic yucky to be around paranoia so nobody but you even wants to be near your stupid car because you make it such and unpleasant experience".

I get it, though. I was there, I think most of us with enough experience were. My beloved S4 with the black optics and dual-tone leather seats that I custom ordered from Audi? I thought I'd teach my then 5 year old twins "respect and discipline" and then woke up to the fact that I became "that dick" who treated his car like a person or some sort of irreplaceable family heirloom. When the only thing that really mattered were the PEOPLE in the car and if they were enjoying themselves IN my car. That's way more important and you can keep it clean without being a maniac. Really, you can.

Anyway, scratches are going to happen in this car, one look at the shiny plastic tells you that. Try all you like; unless you wrap your guests in styrofoam, it's going to happen.

I hope to find a nice tradeoff between trying to keep nice things nice, and being reasonable and tolerant. I foresee that the tradeoff could very well tilt in favor of the kiddo.

I get your point, still holding on to some hope.. hehe!

OMG, I cannot even imagine how one could cope with that "distributed force" if its not in your favor.

This picture made me cringe. I saw another one on reddit wherein a kiddo scratched "I love you daddy!!" in CAPS, with a screwdriver, on a nice car! that must have hurt!!
Good product link, thanks for sharing.

Funny thread indeed! and a lot of good feedback too, specially setting my expectations right.
I have seen projectile vomit scenes on Family guy, I guess I should brace for it to be manifested in reality now!

I hope to find a nice tradeoff between trying to keep nice things nice, and being reasonable and tolerant. I foresee that the tradeoff could very well tilt in favor of the kiddo.

I was worried people had piled on a little too much, but you are obviously a good sport and took the advise in its best light as constructive. Congratulations, now you have two on the way: baby Model X and kiddo! BTW for me any mess my kids make have been more than repaid for by them just being themselves and in my life. I bet most parents here feel the same way. Best of Luck

@SSQ: I think you have the right attitude going forward. Congratulations on the new kiddo! Parenthood is the greatest and most wonderful adventure. Make sure to shoot video of the kid's face the first time you stomp on the accelerator at ludicrous speed. :)

The detailer wanted to put it on the seat backs right away. It is a good solution after you decide to keep the shiny look or change to matte protection. But after reading the above projectile comments, maybe the existing surface will work really well for that?

Mine are a bit older, so I don't need things quite so slick. I actually prefer a matte look I think. The shiny looks so "plasticky". Any tips on achieving this?

Mine are a bit older, so I don't need things quite so slick. I actually prefer a matte look I think. The shiny looks so "plasticky". Any tips on achieving this?

My plan is to apply a matte black wrap. You can either buy it yourself (3M sells huge sheets of it), or have an installer do it for you.

The shiny look is just not us.

Other option - lock the kids in the car for 4 hours. Voilà! Matte seatbacks.

My plan is to apply a matte black wrap. You can either buy it yourself (3M sells huge sheets of it), or have an installer do it for you.

The shiny look is just not us.

Other option - lock the kids in the car for 4 hours. Voilà! Matte seatbacks.

LOL. Matte wrap, it is! I wish Tesla would say, ya know, we goofed... and take care of that. It's such an odd choice for what their selling

Thanks for the details Mark. I am considering the X as a family car (first kid on the way). I am intolerant when it comes to car-cleanliness, no food, no mess permissible in the car - and I sincerely plan to pass on the discipline to the kiddo (well, as much as possible).
Currently, on my 5 year old BMW 5'er, the tan interior has held up really well (its actually amazingly resilient!) but looks like I am in for a rough ride with the X+a kid :crying:. Maybe I am a minority here to say Tesla fit and finish (lets say leather seams, panel gaps, quality and feel of interiors) is years behind BMW, Audi etc. I only say this for the price of the car is way up there to desire a stellar level of quality and finish.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are in for a rude awakening, my friend. Wait until your toddler is having an epic meltdown about not wanting to get in their car seat - you will let them eat anything if it will get them to stop crying and just get in the damn car already. Your kid is going to eat and drink in the car, but you can mostly limit it to innocuous stuff that doesn't stain. Just be prepared to vacuum the car regularly, and don't get too worked up about all the smashed Cheerios you will be finding years later.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are in for a rude awakening, my friend. Wait until your toddler is having an epic meltdown about not wanting to get in their car seat - you will let them eat anything if it will get them to stop crying and just get in the damn car already. Your kid is going to eat and drink in the car, but you can mostly limit it to innocuous stuff that doesn't stain. Just be prepared to vacuum the car regularly, and don't get too worked up about all the smashed Cheerios you will be finding years later.

Depends. My kids ate in my wife's SUV making it look like ****. After we sold her car we agreed no food in either of our cars.

Now at 3 and 5, they know that they can only have bottled water in the car. No food.

On a very rare occasion, we bend the rules, but I'd say 97% of the time it's no food in the car (we learned our lesson the hard way. Though I don't think at younger than 3 I could enforce no food in the car). They know they'll get to eat when the car charges ;)

The idea of a mattte wrap on the seat backs is very appealing. I'll follow people's suggestions (MarkZ et. al.) to what works well. I have to say that the seatbacks look a little like black bowling pins seen through the rear hatch.

I'm looking for a detailer in the North (San Francisco) Bay Area to apply the wrap. Does the 3M material mentioned earlier stretch to conform and is it adhesive backed? If anyone has a recommendations and experience, I'm listening. Thanks.