Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent humming/buzzing sound when constant speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2023 Model X LR and when I keep a constant speed between 25-45 mph, I hear this humming sound that almost sounds like two plates barely touching while spinning. It's hard to explain but it only happens if I keep at a constant speed and it is very inconsistent. When I am accelerating, I know that there is the normal motor whine and that is constant which is ok with me. What really bugs me is that at a constant speed, it would make the sound for half a second, then be silent, then have it for like 2 seconds, then silent, and keep on doing this. My dad brought it in to service and they said it was normal but I'm not confident he explained it to them properly. Does anyone else have this issue?

It used to be the tires were not well matched, and you'd get a sound sort of like that. Is there any chance this is it? Air pressure being different from each side could do it as well.

If this is your first EV is good to remember that you don't have the motor and transmission noise to mask things like this. It may be happening at the higher speeds too but the road noise is loud enough that you can't hear it.

I have a 2023 MYLR that makes a noise just has you states but occurs at speeds of 40-45mph. It is constant. I also have that motorwhine with accelation, but this noise ic constant at a steady speed. Looking to take it in but fear they will say everything is normal. I have been in a Model S and it is quiet and without any humming sound. Wondering if others are experiencing this a swell with the Model Y

I have a 2023 MYLR that makes a noise just has you states but occurs at speeds of 40-45mph. It is constant. I also have that motorwhine with accelation, but this noise ic constant at a steady speed. Looking to take it in but fear they will say everything is normal. I have been in a Model S and it is quiet and without any humming sound. Wondering if others are experiencing this a swell with the Model Y

You might want to post in the model y section, rather than here in the Model X forum. Probably get better answers that way. Good luck!

It used to be the tires were not well matched, and you'd get a sound sort of like that. Is there any chance this is it? Air pressure being different from each side could do it as well.

If this is your first EV is good to remember that you don't have the motor and transmission noise to mask things like this. It may be happening at the higher speeds too but the road noise is loud enough that you can't hear it.
Tire pressure is the same and all tires are the same ones. I kind of doubt it is tires just because it is very inconsistent with the rhythm.

I have a model 3 as well and it doesn't make this noise. I also rode in other model S/X (refresh and old) and none of them make this type of noise. I brought it in once and they said normal. Bringing it in again (they're now charging $500 to diagnose but I just want to have them listen first).

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
OK so i have a high pitched whine around 60-80mph. it definitely sounds like the front motor, and the pitch changes with speed and load. Im coming from a RWD model S 85, but have had loaners with a similar whine. Its like a slightly lower pitched tinnitus.

Does this sound similar? I just figured it was normal, since i had heard it in the loaners I've had. BUT now that I think about it, the last MX 100D loaner I had did NOT have this whine. I still figured my raven performance had a different sound from the motors

Yes! Perfect description "slightly lower pitched tinnitus"....I have had my 2023 MX LR for about a month and noticed from day one...Its so annoying and wasn't sure if I could even take it in for service or if they consider is normal. Im coming from a 2022 BMW IX which was silent during acceleration and also did not have the dreaded acceleration shudder (which I have as well)

Yes! Perfect description "slightly lower pitched tinnitus"....I have had my 2023 MX LR for about a month and noticed from day one...Its so annoying and wasn't sure if I could even take it in for service or if they consider is normal. Im coming from a 2022 BMW IX which was silent during acceleration and also did not have the dreaded acceleration shudder (which I have as well)

Why did you switch from BMW iX to Model X? I'm considering getting a BMW iX.

A few reasons. I was actually one of the first to take delivery in the US. In fact I drove the car for about 8 months before I even saw another one on the road. Anyway, the BMW IX was promised(and still is) to be like Tesla in that any new features can be upgraded via software. When I picked up the car, self parking was supposed to be a feature coming soon. When it was finally available for a $250 upgrade, I was told that the "head unit" on my car was too old and could not upgraded via software! I wasn't the only one that had this problem too. That was the start of it. I had also recently purchased a Model 3 and love the tech. In fact it made me realize how far behind BMW was with Tech. No Dog mode. I have a golden and had to go through a whole process to set the AC,,,which would only stay on for a little while. Even simple things like screen clean mode and car wash mode don't exist on the BMW. It baffles me that BMW has 10 years to look and copy these features but didn't ....The one place where the IX shines however is the ride quality and sound. It is as close to silent (even at 85 MPH) as I have ever seen in any car. No shudder during fast take offs, no high pitch whine. Silent!! The nail in coffin was charging infrastructure. I live10 mins from 2 different Electrify America Stations which are the main ones to use for CCCS DC. They were constantly down or broken. Even shortly after they were upgraded to 350 HYPER chargers. EA usually only builds about 4-6 in any location. I took a 3000 mile trip last October and this pattern was the same almost everywhere with broken or poor charging speeds. To make matters worse, the EA app(which integrates with BMW,,,,,sort of) was never accurate in terms of occupied/ avail / broken chargers. In fact the EV app on the iPhone showed different data than the BMW did most times. Very poor network and integration. I live in a high rise so home charging is not a feasible solution right now. The car was recalled about 4 months after I owned it for a battery issue. The car was in the shop about 45 days. I decided to Lemon Law it (I have a lot of experience with the process). When I got the car back, the process takes about 1 year or so. Originally I wanted a replacement IX. However, when the model X prices started to tank, I took another look the model X and got in at the lowest price (so far). I did have my eyes wide open in terms of build quality and suspension, road noise. Im getting used to it but will probably higher somebody to sound insulate it. For anybody who might think that the Model is quiet and has a fine tuned suspension,,,they have not driven the BMW IX also with air suspension,,,,it truly is night and day and one of the few things I miss so much about my IX. (Like having a quiet conversion on the highway)...So far the build quality on my X is good,,,no squeaks or rattles. It all came down to me setting realistic expectations. For me, this car was not worth $140K,,,,but when the price came down to $79,000, It made it easier to live with some of the shortfalls in quality and road noise. Overall though, Im really happy with the car. It's new and different, since having the IX for nearly 2 years. I hope this helps in making your decision.