Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction wheels - flat tire happens - stock tires aren't made or carried anywhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting this thread to address a legitimate concern in the short term (before tire manufacturers catch up).....

The stock goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric all seasons in 255/40/20 which come on the induction...

1. Not listed on goodyear's site in that size
2. Not carried by tirerack, discount tire, or anyone
3. I actually think they're eagle f1 asymmetric 5 all season (which aren't even made at all, regardless of sizing)

This leads me to believe they were made specifically for tesla. If I get a flat and simply need to replace the tire, legitimate question but does tesla carry the tires at their service centers? And is that seriously the only option right now? I'm a bit put off by tesla's odd sizing for all model Y wheels and tire variants (probably a combination of load rating and suspension geometry).. Yay, I got my new car, but I can't do something as fundamental and trivial as replacing a flat with that same tire?

Reactions: DriverOne
Good day all,

I find this timing impeccable as I am sitting here waiting for Tesla Service Center to drive 2 hours away to another Tesla Service Center to find a replacement 21" Uberturbine, 255/35/R21 that absolutely no one carries in stock. The stock Pirelli's are not even in stock at the Pirelli distributor in Georgia. Only Michelin offers an alternative, but they also must be ordered. I would love to see a more standardized wheel and tire placed on the performance, or at least offered as a choice to make the change during ordering.

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
Starting this thread to address a legitimate concern in the short term (before tire manufacturers catch up).....

The stock goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric all seasons in 255/40/20 which come on the induction...

1. Not listed on goodyear's site in that size
2. Not carried by tirerack, discount tire, or anyone
3. I actually think they're eagle f1 asymmetric 5 all season (which aren't even made at all, regardless of sizing)

This leads me to believe they were made specifically for tesla. If I get a flat and simply need to replace the tire, legitimate question but does tesla carry the tires at their service centers? And is that seriously the only option right now? I'm a bit put off by tesla's odd sizing for all model Y wheels and tire variants (probably a combination of load rating and suspension geometry).. Yay, I got my new car, but I can't do something as fundamental and trivial as replacing a flat with that same tire?

Like you, I tried and failed to find this tire anywhere. Hopefully Tesla carries them, although to be honest, in the event of a flat tire I'd kind of hate to have to wait on Tesla service since they're so backed up.

From my understanding Tesla is the only place to get the eagle f1 asymmetric 5 all season. It is in their parts catalog but it is not available to purchase.

upload_2020-10-12_14-54-58.png

I'll have 4 that I'll happily sell cheap as soon as I can get these crappy hard riding tires off of my MY! A round trip of 700 miles to visit my daughter&SIL convinced my butt and back that there's gotta be a better All Season tire to fit these nice looking Induction wheels...anyone know what tire is more comfortable? If I find one, I'll follow up.

I'll have 4 that I'll happily sell cheap as soon as I can get these crappy hard riding tires off of my MY! A round trip of 700 miles to visit my daughter&SIL convinced my butt and back that there's gotta be a better All Season tire to fit these nice looking Induction wheels...anyone know what tire is more comfortable? If I find one, I'll follow up.

The goodyears which come on the inductions are supposed to be fairly high quality performance all seasons. Make sure your tire pressure is right - high tire pressure made my model 3 feel really stiff.

All that said, this seems reason enough for me to get the cheapest option gemini wheels and buy aftermarket wheels and the tires I want.

TireRack thinks the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is the original factory tire. It lists it as "T0 Tesla, SoundComfort Tech" and is the same size and service description as the Tesla parts list ...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...020&autoModel=Model Y Long Range&autoModClar=

Interestingly, it appears those are summer only tires. That means both the 20 inch Inductions and 21 inch Uberturbines should NOT be driven in near freezing temperatures (40F or lower) or damage to the tire might occur (and also possibly dangerous handling).

TireRack thinks the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is the original factory tire. It lists it as "T0 Tesla, SoundComfort Tech" and is the same size and service description as the Tesla parts list ...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Asymmetric+5&partnum=54WR0F1A5XLSCT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Model Y Long Range&autoModClar=

Interestingly, it appears those are summer only tires. That means both the 20 inch Inductions and 21 inch Uberturbines should NOT be driven in near freezing temperatures (40F or lower) or damage to the tire might occur (and also possibly dangerous handling).
That's strange. There were multiple threads that confirmed the 20" tires are all seasons. Maybe Tesla is planning on offering summer tires on the 20" wheels? Or the Tirerack info is completely wrong (that seems more likely to me).

I actually think the "summer" tire, coming into tirerack on 10/16 is actually the all season variant found on the stock induction wheels. It's too odd that they would list asymmetric 5 and be specific about the tesla distinction - gotta be the OEM equipment found on the induction wheels. IF so, that's good news for owners....

Still, a bit ridiculous, and would be QUITE the headache if you got a flat while traveling, or really a flat anywhere...

I'm guessing this is covid-19, related, and goodyear doesn't have the operational bandwidth right now to be producing that tire for anyone but tesla. I'm probably going to be a test dummy for all of you and run 245/45/20's on a set of aftermarket 20's - far more quality tire choices as that size is found on other "suv's". 2.5% increase in overall diameter but I'm willing to try it.

This is fairly common. I know that BMW/MINI uses tires that are made specifically for them. However, generally there is or will be close to the exact same tire under a slightly name from the same tire manufacturer. I had this issue with my wife's MINI. The MINI version of the tire was about $70 per tire more and out of stock nationally at the time. I was able to get essentially the same tire from TiresPlus with the same size/specs only a minor change in speed rating which didn't matter to us.

When I need to replace my 20” induction tires, I would get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (255/40ZR20). As others have mentioned, it would be a problem if I got a flat and needed an immediate replacement since Tire Rack states that they are not available until December 4th!

The goodyears which come on the inductions are supposed to be fairly high quality performance all seasons. Make sure your tire pressure is right - high tire pressure made my model 3 feel really stiff.

All that said, this seems reason enough for me to get the cheapest option gemini wheels and buy aftermarket wheels and the tires I want.
I haven't checked with my gauge yet but the car claims mine are only at 38 but they seem plenty stiff to me.

I haven't checked with my gauge yet but the car claims mine are only at 38 but they seem plenty stiff to me.
Wait until you feel the Goodyears at 45 psi cold! I had mine at 42 child and they felt a little stiff. Got my car back from the SC this past week and they set them to 45. They felt like the hard run flats I had on my X5.

I lowered to 39 cold and they feel much better. I may try to increase them to 40psi...

Wait until you feel the Goodyears at 45 psi cold! I had mine at 42 child and they felt a little stiff. Got my car back from the SC this past week and they set them to 45. They felt like the hard run flats I had on my X5.

I lowered to 39 cold and they feel much better. I may try to increase them to 40psi...
Be careful that a lot of tires have specific minimum inflation pressures to remain XL load rating...

Reactions: Koolio46
My Y was delivered with 45psi. I initially dropped them to 42 per the door sticker. That change made the car feel better over bumps, but not “good”. I’ve been taking out a pound at a time, then driving to see how they feel. I just dropped them down to 40 psi today. At 41 they were only slightly better than at 42, so I don’t hold out a ton of hope for 40 but I figured I’d try. I think that’s as low as I feel is safe for everyday driving (for me).