Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ineligible for Tesla Return Policy if taking NY Rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just confirmed details with Tesla for my pickup on Wednesday. At the bottom of the email was this statement...

***Please be advised, by accepting any incentives (NY Rebate or Federal Tax Credit), your Tesla becomes ineligible for our Tesla Return Policy. Please let us know if you would like these incentives removed from your contracts.***

I've never heard of this and it sounds pretty sketchy. Has anyone else heard of this, or know if it's true?

I just confirmed details with Tesla for my pickup on Wednesday. At the bottom of the email was this statement...

***Please be advised, by accepting any incentives (NY Rebate or Federal Tax Credit), your Tesla becomes ineligible for our Tesla Return Policy. Please let us know if you would like these incentives removed from your contracts.***

I've never heard of this and it sounds pretty sketchy. Has anyone else heard of this, or know if it's true?
How is this sketchy? Incentives are meant and rewarded if you actually keep the car, not double dip and later decide to return the vehicle.

Besides, these rebates will require DMV registration, plate # etc. By then, your return window ship has sail...

Reactions: NevadaFrenchy
This seems incorrect. The NYSERDA rebate program requires ownership of 36 months to be eligible. If the car is sold before 36 months then the owner is required to refund part of the rebate. Additionally, the dealer has 60 days after the sale to apply for the funds from NYSERDA.

If Tesla waits to file paperwork until after the return period has expired it doesn't seem like an issue. They can apply the rebate the next time they sell the car, although if they can't sell it as new then they can't, however, they are already agreeing to take returns so I don't see why this would add an additional burden or risk on their part.