Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's true, Tesla has been very generous with "goodwill" warranty replacements when they were a smaller, younger company. They can't afford to do that in every situation as they make more and more cars every year. To think that previous generosity obligates them to be continuously generous forever is naive to such a degree that I don't know where to begin.

If I were the OP, I would take them up on the 15% off ($21K) and get another 239,000 miles out of that Performance Model S!
Well it shouldn't be published as being "under warranty." That is good press for them and indicates that they will do it for everyone. Also the warranty just says it won't cover degradation. There is obviously more going on than degradation with my vehicle.

You have a very strange definition of the word "obviously". :rolleyes:
Obviously NOT, (that is for you CAP MAN!) I really do not see this as normal degradation, OP had been stranded with 16 miles left on the range indicator, Tesla gives him back the car stating that he has 212 miles indicated range at 100% charge and 2 days later he is getting 200, I am curious how long it takes for this battery to fail as it is obviously defective.

Reactions: HMARTINPT
Obviously NOT, (that is for you CAP MAN!) I really do not see this as normal degradation, OP had been stranded with 16 miles left on the range indicator, Tesla gives him back the car stating that he has 212 miles indicated range at 100% charge and 2 days later he is getting 200, I am curious how long it takes for this battery to fail as it is obviously defective.
I will OBVIOUSLY keep you posted on the progress or lack there of.

Reactions: gilscales
For those of you that keep siting that I should be happy with the number of miles I have driven, please post me once you have driven that many miles or refer back to this post before saying I should be happy with the miles driven!

I think that is a very fair and thoughtful offer and I'll take you up on that!

Please don't do anything rash before I get back to you in about 14 years. I should have 239,000 miles on my Tesla P3D by then if it's still on the road.:D

• Funny
Reactions: Guy V and Seven7
Agreed, there is no way in hell I would put that money into that old of a car and I think that vast majority would have to choose to part it out or junk it if it came down to that.

I guess that's why Tesla doesn't think it's worth putting a new battery in a car that old. Still, it was a nice gesture to offer 15% off a brand new battery if the OP decides to do it anyway.

The turbo and transmission went out on my Volvo S80 T-6 at only 80,000 miles and Volvo didn't even offer me a discount to replace them, it cost $7,000. The transmission was a GM transmission, believe it or not. I admit I did thrash that engine/transmission pretty hard in the desert heat. But I followed the factory maintenance schedule and they still wouldn't give me a discount on the work.

Reactions: Electroman
Then please explain your definition of "infinite" and respond to the question I asked previously "Can you please explain how my vehicle has lost 6% of battery capacity since picking up from the service center on Friday?"
I suspect the word "infinite" is a marketing gimmick hyperbole...one that Elon Musk must learn to stop using because the literal interpretation implies something else. He should also stop using the term "Autopilot" and manufacturers should stop using the term "lifetime fluid." The latter is intended as a marketing gimmick to entice the prospective buyer that the car is more advanced than it is and that they need not concern themselves to replace the fluid. However the reality is that that the fluid typically needs changing at 60K or 100K miles which is less than the average ownership duration of those models. Therefore, the manufacturer gets away with the term "lifetime" because the fluid will typically last beyond the "lifetime" of the average ownership. Talk to a mechanic and they'd say you should change at 60K or 100K mile intervals for transmission/differential fluids.

As for your specific issue, it seems like you've gotten a lot of miles out of Tesla and lot of battery service, but at the great inconvenience of untimely breakdowns. If your car keeps faulting good battery packs, I would assume there is something about your car that is ruining the batteries. I'm surprised Tesla isn't interested in buying your car back to solve a problem that might be a design flaw...I doubt it's your driving/charging behavior.

I'm surprised Tesla isn't interested in buying your car back to solve a problem that might be a design flaw...I doubt it's your driving/charging behavior.

Actually, if you read this thread from the beginning you would know that Tesla did say the owner's habits were a factor (as reported by the OP). And I'm pretty confident that is why the OP is not going to get a better offer than the 15% discount. And it sounds like the car has seen better days besides the reduced range of the battery anyway.

I suspect the word "infinite" is a marketing gimmick hyperbole...one that Elon Musk must learn to stop using because the literal interpretation implies something else.

"Infinite miles" just means they won't reject a warranty claim at any specific mileage. It's not different than when a manufacturer offers a "Lifetime" warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. I knew a guy who had a backpack with a "lifetime" warranty against defects in materials and workmanship who wore a hole through the packcloth when it shifted on his motorcycle and the rear tire burned a hole in it. He thought he should get a free replacement or repair because the pack cloth was not strong enough to withstand his motorcycle tire rubbing on it. And it had a "Lifetime" warranty.

Idiots abound in this world.:rolleyes:

I suspect the word "infinite" is a marketing gimmick hyperbole...one that Elon Musk must learn to stop using because the literal interpretation implies something else. He should also stop using the term "Autopilot" and manufacturers should stop using the term "lifetime fluid." The latter is intended as a marketing gimmick to entice the prospective buyer that the car is more advanced than it is and that they need not concern themselves to replace the fluid. However the reality is that that the fluid typically needs changing at 60K or 100K miles which is less than the average ownership duration of those models. Therefore, the manufacturer gets away with the term "lifetime" because the fluid will typically last beyond the "lifetime" of the average ownership. Talk to a mechanic and they'd say you should change at 60K or 100K mile intervals for transmission/differential fluids.

As for your specific issue, it seems like you've gotten a lot of miles out of Tesla and lot of battery service, but at the great inconvenience of untimely breakdowns. If your car keeps faulting good battery packs, I would assume there is something about your car that is ruining the batteries. I'm surprised Tesla isn't interested in buying your car back to solve a problem that might be a design flaw...I doubt it's your driving/charging behavior.
Now that would be great customer service but I don't expect that. The only offer I got was a 15% discount on a new battery or trade it in on a new Tesla. The trade in would have been less than the battery purchased. At this point it would very hard for us to purchase another Tesla unless they honor the warranty.

"Infinite miles" just means they won't reject a warranty claim at any specific mileage. It's not different than when a manufacturer offers a "Lifetime" warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. I knew a guy who had a backpack with a "lifetime" warranty against defects in materials and workmanship who wore a hole through the packcloth when it shifted on his motorcycle and the rear tire burned a hole in it. He thought he should get a free replacement or repair because the pack cloth was not strong enough to withstand his motorcycle tire rubbing on it. And it had a "Lifetime" warranty.

Idiots abound in this world.:rolleyes:
Right back at you. Even Tesla understands what the word infinite means. Nobody from Tesla has come to me and stated your out of warranty because you have driven too many miles. They do keep stating that the warranty doesn't cover degradation so maybe you should take it up with them if you want to keep arguing the word "infinite"

Right back at you. Even Tesla understands what the word infinite means. Nobody from Tesla has come to me and stated your out of warranty because you have driven too many miles. They do keep stating that the warranty doesn't cover degradation so maybe you should take it up with them if you want to keep arguing the word "infinite"

My point was that some people think "Lifetime" means it covers everything in the products lifetime. It doesn't. It's still limited by the "defects in materials and workmanship" clause. Similarly, the Tesla "infinite miles" battery warranty is still limited by the clause that it doesn't cover battery degradation.

It's baffling why you can't see this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Guy V and Rocky_H
Actually, if you read this thread from the beginning you would know that Tesla did say the owner's habits were a factor (as reported by the OP). And I'm pretty confident that is why the OP is not going to get a better offer than the 15% discount. And it sounds like the car has seen better days besides the reduced range of the battery anyway.[/QUOT
Actually, if you read this thread from the beginning you would know that Tesla did say the owner's habits were a factor (as reported by the OP). And I'm pretty confident that is why the OP is not going to get a better offer than the 15% discount. And it sounds like the car has seen better days besides the reduced range of the battery anyway.
Probably not, I will just keep driving until the battery fails. That is going to sooner than later by what I have been researching. My habits were driving the speed limit, charging to 90% battery capacity or having to use a SC because I can't reach my destination. Nothing like Tesloop only using a SC to 100% all of the time to only 194,000 miles out of one battery.

My point was that some people think "Lifetime" means it covers everything in the products lifetime. It doesn't. It's still limited by the "defects in materials and workmanship" clause. Similarly, the Tesla "infinite miles" battery warranty is still limited by the clause that it doesn't cover battery degradation.

It's baffling why you can't see this.
I have stated over 10 times in this thread that I know Tesla doesn't cover for degradation of the battery. I understand your point of "lifetime" but it doesn't apply to this case. I am not trying to get the battery replaced for degradation.

Reactions: Rocky_H