Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inflated values

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeh not sure why people put so much value in FSD. I wager your car will break down before it is actually full self driving. LOL. Anyways there are some benefits to getting FSD. And that is so Tesla is probably required to keep updating your hardware down the road or maybe someone can sue them to get a free new car that is capable of full self driving. That progressive update might be well worth it if you plan to keep your car pass 20 years.

Not only have prices gone up this year, they have even gone up since August, which is crazy seeing that it's November now and one would expect prices to be at least level with June or August, if not slightly lower. Back in July I almost bought a 2016.5 90D; now 90D's seem to be priced 6-10k higher just a few months later. That's even after the release of 1000 or so plaid's and a few LR MS's in September, which you would think would flood the used market with a number of used 4-6yo cars.

Just as a data point, here are the price points on a used 2016.5 P90D, which is for sale on tesla.com, again. You can see the previous sale and the new price. The new price is significantly higher (though it may not sell for quite that much). (Thanks to ev-cpo.com -- great site, and I recommend a subscription for any new seekers).

1635787414426.png

Another crazy point -- this is an AP1 car.

I think the best middle ground, if you have to buy now, might be a private sale 2016-2017 75D, possibly with FSD and MCU2. The lower range shouldn't be too big of an issue for most folks, and it would still be pretty close to the tip of having the latest technology. (Then again, you can probably find a private sale 100D for 57-60k. No warranty but I don't think 1 year of warranty is worth 8-10k.)

Well, it seems we may have proof that Tesla ties its prices to page clicks. (Or maybe this isn't news and you all already know this.)

The price of the above vehicle just spiked by $8,000, and most of the other P90's on the site spiked nearly as much. I had figured that an algorithm was controlling prices of the used Teslas on Tesla.com, but this pretty much confirms my suspicion that it's not bound to any price boundaries (or much logic, aside from market data, previous sale prices, and page clicks).

Lesson learned: if you want to buy a used car on tesla.com, only click on it once you're ready to purchase it. If you're viewing the same car multiple times a day, you may cause the price to go up.

(Or maybe there's another explanation... but that's one hell of a spike right after I posted about the same exact car)

1635794626273.png

Well, it seems we may have proof that Tesla ties its prices to page clicks. (Or maybe this isn't news and you all already know this.)

The price of the above vehicle just spiked by $8,000, and most of the other P90's on the site spiked nearly as much. I had figured that an algorithm was controlling prices of the used Teslas on Tesla.com, but this pretty much confirms my suspicion that it's not bound to any price boundaries (or much logic, aside from market data, previous sale prices, and page clicks).

Lesson learned: if you want to buy a used car on tesla.com, only click on it once you're ready to purchase it. If you're viewing the same car multiple times a day, you may cause the price to go up.

(Or maybe there's another explanation... but that's one hell of a spike right after I posted about the same exact car)

View attachment 728161
That’s fascinating. What a bizarre correlation.