Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the Model 3 is not "like iPhone 2.0 vs 3.0" per Elon's tweet

I really don't know how to interpret that
With the iPhone, the newest model is always the latest and greatest model. You don't see Apple releasing a new model that costs half the price of their high end phone.

With Tesla, the Model S will still be the latest and greatest. The Model 3 will just be a new, cheaper model with less range and power and fewer features.

Reactions: Ulmo
Screenshot_20170324-074603.png

Screenshot_20170324-074613.png

Even though we now know that the Model 3 will not be available in Dual Motor this year, I would not rule out a Performance version of the Model 3 at launch, since the S was launched only as a P version and the non-P came months later.

Here is Elon's tweet that started things off: "The Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology."

Than in response to a question about whether or not the 3 would have Dual Motor, Elon responded "Yes but not until next year."

Then Fred Lambert asked him to confirm that and Elon said "No, we are minimizing production complexity to keep the Model 3 ramp on schedule. RWD only for early production, just like the Model S." Which I think is a wise move, as a rapid Model 3 production ramp is critical to the success of the 3 and to Tesla.

Note that Elon did not say "No Performance version this year." Recall that last year Elon stated that there would be a Performance version of the Model 3, though he did not state whether it would be available at launch, or later.

What is most interesting about Elon's tweets today is that, as I interpret them, the Model 3 with the larger optional battery (whatever that turns out to be) will have a shorter range than the Model S with the largest battery and possible even the S with the base battery. In addition, his tweet could mean that the Performance version of the 3 will have less power than the base Model S and certainly less than the Performance Model S.

Also looks like confirmation of NO HUD, as well as RWD first:
View attachment 219584 View attachment 219585
That series of tweets is even more interesting.

Elon: "Nothing majorly new that a consumer would notice. Lots of new techi in the design and construction process though."

In response to a query about a HUD, Elon said: "The more autonomous a car is, the less dash info you need. How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven by a taxi?"

Fred Lambert: "but you can't build a car with that mindset today considering autonomous software release is dependent on regulatory approval?"

Elon: "It still has one display".

Wow. Elon is thinking long term, as usual. He is willing to be the object of what likely will be a torrent of criticism from people who have convinced themselves that the 3 will have a HUD at launch, based on zero information from Tesla, only their own imagination and susceptibility to group-think.

Nevertheless, there remains Elon tweet from almost a year ago that the steering wheel in the prototype cars is not the same as what will be in the production cars, and his reference to the "spaceship controls". That appears to be in conflict with his tweet today that the 3 at launch will have "nothing majorly new that a consumer would notice".

My conclusion is that the "spaceship controls" will come later, and that Elon is serious about "minimizing production complexity to keep the Model 3 production ramp on schedule". The decision not to offer a Dual Motor 3 at launch is part of that.

It think he has definitely learned the lesson of the Model X launch: introducing too many new features into a new model can create serious problems during the production ramp. Best to start simple, get the production line rolling in volume, and then start adding the fancy stuff.

And now I see I am wrong in thinking that the 3 could launch with a P version. In response to someone asking if there is "going to be a Performance 3?"

Elon: "Yeah, probably a year from now. S will still win on acceleration though, due to having more space for a lighter battery."

Further emphasizing Elon's determination to simplify the 3 launch and rapidly ramp production.

Reactions: EinSV
Another Elon tweet: "Only the S will have the seven seater option, more cargo space, plus higher range, acceleration, two screens vs one, auto extend handles".

That was a followup to his slightly earlier tweet: "Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advance technology."

I think he is trying to reset people's unrealistic expectations about the 3 that have developed over the past year, fueled by a lack of information from Tesla and overactive imaginations.

The 3 is a smaller, less capable car than the S. It has to be. It's about half the price.

Reactions: anticitizen13.7
upload_2017-3-24_11-39-25.png

Trying to figure out if this means dual motor 6-9 months from now and performance 12 months from now. Seems odd that perf would be after standard D. I guess they are trying to cover the lower end with Model 3 first, true to the original "mass market" mantra. Other possibility is that 6-9 months refers to from launch (July?), so might line up with perf a year from now.