Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment upgrade scheduled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post and I have only had my 17 S for a couple months. I love the car and can’t wait for my upgrade. Is there anything else I need to address with my SC? It clearly states touch screen replacement so that should not be a issue. Thanks
upload_2020-7-4_14-59-53.png

I have an infotainment upgrade scheduled. Tesla is offering me 10% off if they don’t change the touchscreen. I am inclined to get a new screen because newer screens are usually better (faster refresh, more detail) than older ones. Am I missing something? My MS is a late 2017 Dual 75D.

The main screens are the same resolution / refresh rate. The faster MCU will allow for more frames per second which is what you'll notice. I have not heard of any other panel differences. The early ones leaked, the later ones get a yellow border.

The IC display changed sometime in 2014 (or 2015, I forget) to a higher resolution screen, however. If you have a 2017 you're well past the threshold for that.

I would save the $250 and not get a new touchscreen unless yours has bubbles or yellowing around the edges.

I have an infotainment upgrade scheduled. Tesla is offering me 10% off if they don’t change the touchscreen. I am inclined to get a new screen because newer screens are usually better (faster refresh, more detail) than older ones. Am I missing something? My MS is a late 2017 Dual 75D.
@Vestniek, if screen being faster is your only reason, well, there's no proof that the touchscreens are faster or even if we could tell. So don't let that impact your decision. We have nothing to base it on that its faster, refresh more detail. Its not the screen that's faster, its the processors in the MCU. That's like red paint is faster than blue. Well, we all already know red is much faster than blue.

@Vestniek, if screen being faster is your only reason, well, there's no proof that the touchscreens are faster or even if we could tell. So don't let that impact your decision. We have nothing to base it on that its faster, refresh more detail. Its not the screen that's faster, its the processors in the MCU. That's like red paint is faster than blue. Well, we all already know red is much faster than blue.

@Akikiki Of course, you are right about red being faster than all other colors. I just couldn't think why they would plan to change the screen unless it made some difference. Perhaps, as @beatle said, it is for those who have yellow borders or leaks. I have neither.

Its easier not to replace the screen though not faster to fix the screen with a UV light if the problem is a yellow border. The UV light covers the screen and sits there a couple of hours. But they can park the car over in a corner and let it sit versus working on a dash teardown and back together, just to get the MCU out and tear down the MCU to get the screen off. That's about 1.5-2 hours of work. Done it, not a lot of fun and not scratch anything.

Was just offered the same, however wasn't informed that keeping the screen was reason for discount until I went to the SC today. I opted to get a screen replacement due to the yellow ring on my current screen ('16 90D) but now have an unknown date at which the parts will come in due to supply constraint (according to the advisor).

We've said this several times. Yellow border is less and less a reason to want a new screen. They are fixing yellow border issues with a UV light. Works. Was done on mine. So, if you want to shave part of your MCU upgrade bill, you can skip the screen because they can fix the yellow border.

• Love
Reactions: MIT_S60
Regarding the yellowing border, on my 2017 MS, I had the UV treatment done and it removed the yellow border for sure. But the Service Advisor told me that if could come back and it would need UV treatment again. Can anyone verify this? I have requested an MCU2 upgrade and they said I am eligible but asking me if I want a 10% discount for keeping my same screen but I am concerned the yellow will come back at some point and "assume" that the "new" screens wont be susceptible to yellowing? Anyone know if that is still a risk with the "new" screens?

Was just offered the same, however wasn't informed that keeping the screen was reason for discount until I went to the SC today. I opted to get a screen replacement due to the yellow ring on my current screen ('16 90D) but now have an unknown date at which the parts will come in due to supply constraint (according to the advisor).
I was also sceptical of the UV treatment, but it worked perfectly on my screen. They had to run it twice due to how yellow my screen was, but I no longer have any yellowing.

Regarding the yellowing border, on my 2017 MS, I had the UV treatment done and it removed the yellow border for sure. But the Service Advisor told me that if could come back and it would need UV treatment again. Can anyone verify this? I have requested an MCU2 upgrade and they said I am eligible but asking me if I want a 10% discount for keeping my same screen but I am concerned the yellow will come back at some point and "assume" that the "new" screens wont be susceptible to yellowing? Anyone know if that is still a risk with the "new" screens?
I don't have high confidence the new screens are yellow-proof, but that's just based on the fact that the yellow-border has been a problem for years. Now that they can apply the UV treatment it's less of a concern (although I guess that depends on the out-of-warranty cost).

Verify? No, but it sounds like they cooked your screen just to the point the yellow border disappeared, but not far enough. Not far enough so it stays away. But even if it does come back, I have not heard of them charging any one for the first curing, so I suspect it will just cost the the time to drop off your car for another session.

Verify? No, but it sounds like they cooked your screen just to the point the yellow border disappeared, but not far enough. Not far enough so it stays away. But even if it does come back, I have not heard of them charging any one for the first curing, so I suspect it will just cost the the time to drop off your car for another session.
Thanks much for your reply. I think I will wait for the replacement screen rather than getting $250 off the $2500.

I was also sceptical of the UV treatment, but it worked perfectly on my screen. They had to run it twice due to how yellow my screen was, but I no longer have any yellowing.

I don't have high confidence the new screens are yellow-proof, but that's just based on the fact that the yellow-border has been a problem for years. Now that they can apply the UV treatment it's less of a concern (although I guess that depends on the out-of-warranty cost).
Thanks MIT - appreciate your reply. My yellowing is completely gone too but I am thinking the new screen will last longer as my factory warranty is expiring in a year.