Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Infotainment with upgrade vs 2022 model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at a used 2020/21 pre-refresh. This has the vertical screen. With the 'infotainment upgrade' how does the interface of the maps etc. compare to a the 2022 MYP that I have? Will the interface be slow and laggy? Thanks

Hi. Model 3 owner and 2020 raven model x owner here. The entertainment system is as responsive as the model 3. I actually like the vertical orientation considering the x has an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. It works very well for the map and other stuff I want on the vertical display. The ability to add widgets to the instrument cluster is also great. E.g. navigation and media are my left and right widgets respectively.

Looking at a used 2020/21 pre-refresh. This has the vertical screen. With the 'infotainment upgrade' how does the interface of the maps etc. compare to a the 2022 MYP that I have? Will the interface be slow and laggy? Thanks

"Infotainment upgrade" isn't really applicable to the 2020/2021 Model X (I assume you're thinking about a Model X because you posted in the Model X forum, but you didn't say specifically). Basically the infotainment upgrade updates older MCU1 cars (using the original Tegra processor) to MCU2 (using an Intel Atom processor). Model S/X after about 2018 or so already have MCU2, so the car you're looking at doesn't need the infotainment upgrade.

Let me echo @Nizzore's plug for being able to customize the data shown on the instrument cluster. It's been quite useful on my 2015 Model S. But on the Palladium Model S/X (what many people refer to as "refreshed"), that functionality is no longer there. Yet another instance of "newer isn't always better".

Bruce.

Last edited:
"Infotainment upgrade" isn't really applicable to the 2020/2021 Model X (I assume you're thinking about a Model X because you posted in the Model X forum, but you didn't say specifically). Basically the infotainment upgrade updates older MCU1 cars (using the original Tegra processor) to MCU2 (using an Intel Atom processor). Model S/X after about 2018 or so already have MCU2, so the car you're looking at doesn't need the infotainment upgrade.

Let me echo @Nizzore's plug for being able to customize the data shown on the instrument cluster. It's been quite useful on my 2015 Model S. But on the Palladium Model S/X (what many people refer to as "refreshed"), that functionality is no longer there. Yet another instance of "newer isn't always better".

Bruce.
thanks-
So the 20/21 models have a comparable CPU to the 21/22 Model Y? My Y is pre Rizen processor.