Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initiating Auto Steer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience initiating auto steer on the freeway was not good. This was a test drive on the very busy interstate in front of the Houston Service Center. The double tap on the right stalk jerked me nearly over into the next lane. Tried it three times same result felt I could not trust it then gave up. Tried it later on a 35 MPH road and it was fine. What do you think was the problem?

My experience initiating auto steer on the freeway was not good. This was a test drive on the very busy interstate in front of the Houston Service Center. The double tap on the right stalk jerked me nearly over into the next lane. Tried it three times same result felt I could not trust it then gave up. Tried it later on a 35 MPH road and it was fine. What do you think was the problem?
1. Probably not calibrated, so start Auto Pilot early on your trip so that it learns that route.
2. The section you started Auto Pilot the lanes may of not been marked as clearly. But never seen it wanting to jump into another lane.

It will jerk a little to the left or right when AP is initiated so always keep a good grip on the wheel.

And it helps to have the car centered in the lane before staring Auto Pilot.

Fred

When you experience any event, you should press on the Sentry button to save the last 10 minutes,
or just use your horn, if you have set this option.

Note: One time when using the AutoPilot I was starting to change lane and suddenly
my steering wheel started to vibrate and turned me back into my lane.

When reviewing my dashcam recording, I noticed that the car following me
just decided to pass me while I was changing lane even while I had my turn sign already turned on.

Honestly, it was a positive experience for using Autopilot and felt safer since.

Note: At that time, Sentry didn't offered to used the rear camera, so my dashcam was very useful.

1. Probably not calibrated, so start Auto Pilot early on your trip so that it learns that route.
2. The section you started Auto Pilot the lanes may of not been marked as clearly. But never seen it wanting to jump into another lane.

It will jerk a little to the left or right when AP is initiated so always keep a good grip on the wheel.

Fred

Fred

Thanks Wennfred. Since it was a Tesla demonstrator Im assuming it was calibrated. "It will jerk a little to the left or right when AP is initiated so always keep a good grip on the wheel" , that was probably it. could have been in sufficient lane marking too.
I'll have to have another test drive and try it again.