Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD compared to auto steer-- differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the opportunity to use full self driving on a loaner M3 when my model Y was in shop.

I don't think I would spring for FSD unless I was doing a commute every day... BUT there are a couple of differences that should be incorporated (if possible) into auto steer.

These my be in my imagination but I am pretty sure they are not.
1) FSD tends toward the shoulder when rounding a curve (to the right) GREAT! I always find that self steering is too late to make the turn and tends to be too near the center of the road when rounding a curve.
2) FSD hugs shoulder on two lane road when a semi is coming toward you in the opposite lane. Great.
3) FSD hugs outside shoulder when passing a semi on an interstate. It just doesn't trust those big rigs... and neither do I.

I wish these features could be added to autosteer.

Pretty sure this was FSD beta, can't check because I got my own car back. The FSD beta definitely is different from the auto steer on those three points. Also, I found that the FSD beta worked on every road I drove on INCLUDING back roads with no lane or mid line markings! That surprised me. I first I though it was a accidental thing, but it consistently worked on those roads, and could be started while on such roads.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Pretty sure this was FSD beta, can't check because I got my own car back. The FSD beta definitely is different from the auto steer on those three points. Also, I found that the FSD beta worked on every road I drove on INCLUDING back roads with no lane or mid line markings! That surprised me. I first I though it was a accidental thing, but it consistently worked on those roads, and could be started while on such roads.
Was the car making turns off the interstate?

Did it make turns at intersections, stop at Stop signs and then go when it was its turn?

Not sure what you are saying with this.

Autosteer and regular FSD are the same, but FSD Beta is completely different...for better and worse.
I'm saying that unlike the OP, when driving on the interstate, I haven't observed any difference in the lane keeping behavior of FSD Beta vs. other versions of AP. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I haven't encountered them yet.

Even without FSD Beta, different software builds might have different Autosteer behavior. Don't know if the OP's loaner had the same build as their Y.

I'm saying that unlike the OP, when driving on the interstate, I haven't observed any difference in the lane keeping behavior of FSD Beta vs. other versions of AP. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I haven't encountered them yet.

Even without FSD Beta, different software builds might have different Autosteer behavior. Don't know if the OP's loaner had the same build as their Y.
AP lane keeps, but has never done a great job of decelerating for large curves, dodging large trucks/vehicles, and certainly won't avoid objects in the road.

The logic of AP has always been stay in position "X"...depending on the user they will say it hugs the right, left, always center.

FSD Beta is far my dynamic in that regard and always has been.

AP lane keeps, but has never done a great job of decelerating for large curves, dodging large trucks/vehicles, and certainly won't avoid objects in the road.

The logic of AP has always been stay in position "X"...depending on the user they will say it hugs the right, left, always center.

FSD Beta is far my dynamic in that regard and always has been.
In my experience, Autosteer (even in basic AP) does decelerate for curves and moves in the lane to avoid adjacent vehicles that get too close. It doesn’t avoid obstacles.