Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane Mode- All the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I REALLY wish they’d give me a software update that allows for a “standard” mode between chill and sport for my car. I literally hate the accelerator pedal mapping in sport mode on these cars(for daily commute/roadtrip drives), but I hate chill mode even more 🤣

They should give us an option to default to chill when we have a passenger too, make it a little easier to keep the passenger princess happy.
Options are always good but I definitely prefer mapping of insane mode and can’t stand chill mode. It’s slower than our Subaru Ascent. The only option I would want is an insane like mode that doesn’t heat/cool the battery so as not to decrease range so much even if power isn’t as optimized until battery is up to temp.

Options are always good but I definitely prefer mapping of insane mode and can’t stand chill mode. It’s slower than our Subaru Ascent. The only option I would want is an insane like mode that doesn’t heat/cool the battery so as not to decrease range so much even if power isn’t as optimized until battery is up to temp.
I’d be shocked if the difference between Insane mode in the new car and Sport mode in the old car is anything other than the battery temperature management.

OK, I see what you mean now. It seems to me that whatever efficiency difference there might be between my sport mode and your standard mode would be so small that you might not even be able to measure it effectively.
The only efficiency difference between modes should be how you drive it. The exception is the new insane mode which seems to use additional energy for battery temp management.

Reactions: Jangy and Sellout
That’s pretty much right along my line of thinking. I suppose the additional accelerator pedal sensitivity at a shallow pedal angle does allow one to be lazier with the right foot on a road trip.

I just want it to be a bit easier to modulate speed at normal highway speeds without having to give up the power capability at full pedal travel.. that seems like a safety issue to me.

I REALLY wish they’d give me a software update that allows for a “standard” mode between chill and sport for my car. I literally hate the accelerator pedal mapping in sport mode on these cars(for daily commute/roadtrip drives), but I hate chill mode even more 🤣

They should give us an option to default to chill when we have a passenger too, make it a little easier to keep the passenger princess happy.
There is. Chill, Standard, Insane

I still like to go fast in cold temps……
I know I shouldn’t be replying to someone who’s dedicated to misunderstanding, but I’m having a rough evening and I’m pissed off already so…

If you like going fast in the cold, you already know it’s dangerous and inefficient. Why are you worried about extra energy being used to keep the battery hot enough to let you kill yourself?

Reactions: Gasaraki
I know I shouldn’t be replying to someone who’s dedicated to misunderstanding, but I’m having a rough evening and I’m pissed off already so…

If you like going fast in the cold, you already know it’s dangerous and inefficient. Why are you worried about extra energy being used to keep the battery hot enough to let you kill yourself?
Yep dedicated to misunderstanding. You got me. Efficiency is not something I’m worried about, not sure how you got that from my statement? Guess it is easy to misunderstand even if you’re not dedicated to it.

Last edited:
Yep dedicated to misunderstanding. You got me. Efficiency is not something I’m worried about, not sure how you got that from my statement? Guess it is easy to misunderstand even if you’re not dedicated to it.
Oh right, my bad. I conflated two ridiculous commenters.

Your issue was with the “for no reason” that someone else posted and I followed up with a possible explanation for why his point was valid. Your point is ridiculous because when it’s cold out you won’t have the traction for what the hot battery can get you. So heating the battery really does serve no purpose there.

Hello,
I was lucky enough to take delivery of my model 3 performance yesterday and have loved every second of it. My question is should I leave it in insane mode all the time vs normal? I’d like to leave it in insane mode but don’t want to do any long term damage. I’ve searched the forum but can’t seem to find a concrete answer.

Any insight would be great, thanks!
Take it out.

Try it in chill mode for awhile. Then go to normal.

It will become quite evident in 15-20k miles when your tires tell you why.

Are you saying that we shouldn't use INSANE mode because it wears the tires?
No. Insane mode has a very specific purpose and it isn't street legal use.

But if you care about your tires, don't use it.

While track folks care greatly about their tires, they KNOW they are going to wear them very quickly. As in multiple times during a race.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki