Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane Mode- All the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's absolute BS.
Chill mode makes the car less reactive than Insane, but still much more reactive than 99% of the cars on the road.
My experience was more from the previous gen MP3. I disagree with you wholeheartedly about chill mode being anything beyond a Prius. It is literally programmed NOT to lunge at all because some people can't handle 1 gear. It steadily gets up and going. It is not even close to most cars that I'd consider owning (the rest don't matter to me). I haven't bothered to use Chill Mode in the '24. I leave it in INSANE for the most part. No need to argue. I don't care that much. I just NEVER use chill mode, but I would use something in between (kind of like how the '24 has 3 levels). I'm not sour about it. I use plenty of other Tesla features

No. Insane mode has a very specific purpose and it isn't street legal use.

But if you care about your tires, don't use it.

While track folks care greatly about their tires, they KNOW they are going to wear them very quickly. As in multiple times during a race.
Insane mode doesn't wear out the tires more than any other mode. It actually has less regen pull than does Regular, so it could wear less. And it surely is for street legal purposes, too. The difference is that the car is PREPARED to whoop ass anytime you want it. Otherwise, you'd have to put it in Insane mode and wait 10 minutes to go. There's a zillion ways to ruin the experience and save some tire life; but that isn't why anyone would get a '24 MP3. Now that the LR qualifies for the same Tx credit, I think most that buy one will welcome the Insanity

I actually haven’t tried chill mode in my 24 M3P yet. I assumed it was the same as chill mode on my 21 M3LR with AB and found that unusable. Slower than any car I’ve owned over the last 20 yrs and slower than my wife’s Subaru at least from like 0-30. My son will be getting his permit soon. I may consider putting it in chill mode when he first starts learning but that’s the only use I can think of. There is no reason to buy an M3P and use chill mode.

Insane mode doesn't wear out the tires more than any other mode. It actually has less regen pull than does Regular, so it could wear less. And it surely is for street legal purposes, too. The difference is that the car is PREPARED to whoop ass anytime you want it. Otherwise, you'd have to put it in Insane mode and wait 10 minutes to go. There's a zillion ways to ruin the experience and save some tire life; but that isn't why anyone would get a '24 MP3. Now that the LR qualifies for the same Tx credit, I think most that buy one will welcome the Insanity
So what does Insane do then?

It doesn't increase the acceleration?

Isn't acceleration a big cause of tire wear?

The difference is that the car is PREPARED to whoop ass anytime you want it. Otherwise, you'd have to put it in Insane mode and wait 10 minutes to go.

My Model 3 LR RWD will whoop most anyone's ass anytime I want to as well.
Barely hitting the accelerator has everyone else in my rear-view mirrors.

In many cases, I'm near 60 on the other side of the intersection. The current Model 3 LR AWD gets to 60 in about 185 ft.
The performance does it in 128 ft.
The RWD 255 ft.

It's easy to get pulled over for reckless driving in any Tesla.

But honestly, I'm not the ahole that has to prove that I can beat everyone at a traffic light.

That's what the track is for. And that's what Insane is for.

In many cases, I'm near 60 on the other side of the intersection. The current Model 3 LR AWD gets to 60 in about 185 ft.
The RWD 255 ft.

But honestly, I'm not the ahole that has to prove that I can beat everyone at a traffic light.

I disagree that insane is primarily for the track. All modes are mapped differently and insane is the only one that allows max power. I have never driven a performance car and not wanted all power available. The mapping is also more linear which I prefer. It’s also no different than sport on the prior gen but it also tries to keep battery temp optimal. I doubt most would have driven the prior gen in anything but sport. It would be nice if standard was the same as insane but without the temp management but they chose not to do that.

I disagree that insane is primarily for the track. All modes are mapped differently and insane is the only one that allows max power. I have never driven a performance car and not wanted all power available. The mapping is also more linear which I prefer. It’s also no different than sport on the prior gen but it also tries to keep battery temp optimal. I doubt most would have driven the prior gen in anything but sport. It would be nice if standard was the same as insane but without the temp management but they chose not to do that.

Agree. Everyone has different tolerances for speed. I find the RWD Model 3 painfully slow but I've had performance cars in the past. I think those who get the M3P are those who will pretty much keep it in insane 99% of the time

Reactions: cardsdoc
Then give me an example of where it makes a difference on the street?

And you lose when you bring up battery temp. That was exclusively designed for track runs. Repetitive quarter mile runs aren't legal on streets.

Then give me an example of where it makes a difference on the street?

And you lose when you bring up battery temp. That was exclusively designed for track runs. Repetitive quarter mile runs aren't legal on streets.
As I mentioned it’s not just about max power. Throttle response/mapping is different and I much prefer the instant response of insane compared with standard. If I’m making a quick pass on the highway insane is easier. The mapping is very similar to what I had on my 2021 LR with AB. I could do without the temp management but you don’t get a choice unfortunately. While it’s certainly beneficial for the track, when the battery is at optimal temp top end acceleration (so again useful for highway passing) is noticeably better for those that want that.

As I mentioned it’s not just about max power. Throttle response/mapping is different and I much prefer the instant response of insane compared with standard. If I’m making a quick pass on the highway insane is easier. The mapping is very similar to what I had on my 2021 LR with AB. I could do without the temp management but you don’t get a choice unfortunately. While it’s certainly beneficial for the track, when the battery is at optimal temp top end acceleration (so again useful for highway passing) is noticeably better for those that want that.

I'd definitely go to standard on a road trip though to squeeze out the range. Chill is undriveable for me.

I have to be careful when I'm passing on two-lane roads.

That I don't fly past 90mph. (When I have the accelerator pressed only an inch)
It's way too easy to pass 100 mph in very few seconds. I've done it too many times!

Throttle response? Again, I have to be really careful that I don't pass the FSD 85 mph limit.
Mapping? My brain can do that. But still, in only an inch of accelerator?

Temp manage ONLY kicks in when the battery gets too hot or cold. And it just doesn't need to do that on the road. And temp management costs battery range.

Next attempt?

The RWD 255 ft.

Whatever helps you rationalize your LR. Thanks, though

Someone needs to do some testing with a Dragy or something to compare the acceleration between modes.
I’ve seen a couple people post 0-60 times. Redline reviews just posted a review and got 2.9s for insane, 3.7s for standard, and 7s for chill. This was with 60 something SOC too. From what I recall it’s similar to other data. So quite a difference and as previously noted if you are buying the performance variant you are missing out on a lot of fun not using insane mode.

Reactions: Jangy and E90alex