Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insanity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigNick

Infamous Fat Sweaty Guy
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
So, is this price nuts or what? $57600?!
Screenshot at 2021-06-10 08-47-39.png
The screenshot is to show today's price which may not be the same tomorrow
For reference - this is $400 more than what I paid for my July 2015 built car in April 2019.

My car also has Ludicrous upgrade, SAS and the Pano roof - none* of which are on this car (also built July 2015.) And mine had just about half this mileage when I bought it.

* Since there are no more actual photos, you can't look for the underscored badge on the tailgate, ICU or MCU screens so it is possible Ludicrous was added afterwards.

The insanity to me is how supply versus demand appears to be such a mystery to so many. What people want to pay or think they should pay for something oftentimes has no bearing on the actual market.

This is why all the people who so rudely bash on people's for sale threads publicly should consider the arrogance of their posts and how it is they feel they are the sole & definitive expert voice on the topic of what somebody else should accept for their possession.

The insanity to me is how supply versus demand appears to be such a mystery to so many. What people want to pay or think they should pay for something oftentimes has no bearing on the actual market.

This is why all the people who so rudely bash on people's for sale threads publicly should consider the arrogance of their posts and how it is they feel they are the sole & definitive expert voice on the topic of what somebody else should accept for their possession.
You have owned several Tesla cars, six according to your sig, so you have more experience than many here.
What do you think this car really should be at? $40K? $45K? $50K?
I don't exactly see people clamoring for gimped 85-pack cars.

Supply of used has been constrained for some time, and this hasn't happened.

No, this is a much broader phenomenon, Ms Expert.

I for one, welcome our new used-price overlords...

I just wish that Plaids didn't look like they have microcephaly.

Im

I'm insanely happy to see the price of my 6 year old car north of 50k, with twice as much warranty left as the one in the post.

Could drop like a rock if the Plaid is popular...

hahaha you see it as high... must be nice.

I bought my 14 P85D from tesla 4 years ago with 30k miles it cost me $95k. I mean i paid it off a few months ago but damn if it was only $50k i woulda paid it off so dam fast it would be awesome. and since i put $30k down there would be like no interest.

Don't complain about stuff being cheap

The WaPo had an article today about inflation indexes and said used cars and trucks prices are up almost 30% over the last year. The interesting part to me, is that they didn't drop during the covid recession the way other things did - gasoline is up 50% in the last year, but only 3% if you look back two years. Used car prices are up 30% for the last year and the same 30% when you look back two years... Having a hard time not selling my P85D now and waiting for prices to return to normal before buying something else. Have a spare car, not my favorite, but not too bad...

That ad the OP showed is pretty much what I paid (used) for my P85D almost 36 months ago. Would be pretty sweet to sell it with no depreciation at all!

The interesting part to me, is that they didn't drop during the covid recession the way other things did
I've read some articles that pointed dynamic the many people were not comfortable using public transportation or air travel through earlier phases of the dynamic This resulted in some people who traditionally may not have owned a car actually going out and purchasing one.

I'm not saying this was the sole or only factor, but one example of how the same event can have different impacts on different parts of the economy. No different than a friend of mine that runs a small green house/nursery business saw their sales explode last year as everyone was staying at home and decided to do all those yard improvement projects they'd been thinking about for years. As others have said, it comes back to supply and demand. At times, like now, you have factors that impact supply side, while at other times, may be factors that impact demand.

For me, this is all a hypothetical consideration. While it may make me feel good the value of my mid-2016 AP1 MS90D is 'worth' more, it means nothing until I willing to sell it and can find a buyer willing to pay the price. That is except for maybe the couple extra hundred I may be able to get out of a 16 year old Honda Accord that I'm probably going to unload in a month or so.

Two main reasons behind this year's spike in used car prices are:
1. Chip shortages on new cars which have caused production shut downs and reduced inventories. Some are delaying trading used cars on new because there aren't sufficient new cars to buy. Others that would have bought new, with or without trade, are buying used instead.
2. Rental car companies were/are desperately trying to replenish their fleets, after dumping them last year, which is forcing some to buy used cars.

As new car inventories return to normal, so will used car inventories and pricing. If one can go without a car for a couple of months, this could be the time to sell and then buy replacement car when prices are better.

Reactions: David.85D
Wow, that's not just a lowball, that's a gutterball.
Yes it's quite laughable. Was never serious, I plan on keeping her for quite a while, but was just curious.

And then the followup email, to make sure I received the quote and if I was still interested in trading it in for a new model S.

I think maybe one of the employees wanted it :)