Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's odd. Because both of my 2 coworkers and I noticed that we had to open up the trunk/door in order for the button on the wand to work. I tried holding the button down and nothing happens when the car is asleep. Do you have some kind of 3rd party app that poll data from the car to keep waking it up?
Coming from Model S, not being able to walk up and unplug the charger was one of my annoyances. For past couple of weeks I have been using a Siri shortcut along with Remote S app, to wake up the car, start the climate in the morning before I am ready to go to work. Now as I walk up to the car, I can unplug the charger without door or trunk unlock because the car is not asleep.

Coming from Model S, not being able to walk up and unplug the charger was one of my annoyances. For past couple of weeks I have been using a Siri shortcut along with Remote S app, to wake up the car, start the climate in the morning before I am ready to go to work. Now as I walk up to the car, I can unplug the charger without door or trunk unlock because the car is not asleep.
I think they might've changed something in a recent release. Now my S allows me to unplug the charging cable if I have let the car finish charging. Previously, I always had to unlock the car somehow first. If the car is still charging, I have to do the Tesla two-step and walk to the driver's door so that it unlocks automatically via passive entry. Then I step back and can remove the charging cable. If I'm at a public charger, I'll usually just press and hold the rear button on the key fob so that it unlocks right as I get next to it.

Shouldn't this thread be closed since the Fob is now confirmed not free?
The thread title matches the article title that was linked. If you feel strongly about it maybe contact InsideEVs asking them to make a retraction (including following up with Tesla).

Oh wait.... they've updated as well:

Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New
UPDATE: Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Not Free: Listed For $150
**UPDATE:
Tesla had initially told us this key fob would be free to existing owners upon request and provided to new owners with purchase of the car at no charge. It now appears that may not be the case. The fob is currently listed for $150 on Tesla’s site. I

So now I know that I can't trust InsideEVs in the future when they say "Tesla has confirmed".

Sigh at misleading customers.

Reactions: MP3Mike