Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your key fob work like a key card when dead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

E90alex

Mar 20, 2022
Seattle, WA
According to the owners manual, the key fob can be used like a key card by tapping on the b-pillar and/or behind the cup holders when the battery is dead.

Does this work for anyone else? Mine doesn’t do anything.

Even if I remove the battery from the fob. Not sure if this was just a copy paste from older Model S/X keys and the new Bluetooth keys for 3/Y and refreshed S/X don’t have this capability?

According to the owners manual, the key fob can be used like a key card by tapping on the b-pillar and/or behind the cup holders when the battery is dead.

Even if I remove the battery from the fob. Not sure if this was just a copy paste from older Model S/X keys and the new Bluetooth keys for 3/Y and refreshed S/X don’t have this capability?
Older S/X that don't use fob Near Field Communication (NFC). Newer S/X do so, which means you can remove your fob battery, and the fob still functions as a Near Field Communication (NFC) as if it's a card without a battery to open doors and drive away.

That would be the car battery, not the key fob battery, eh?
Fob battery.
Older S/X that don't use fob Near Field Communication (NFC). Newer S/X do so, which means you can remove your fob battery, and the fob still functions as a Near Field Communication (NFC) as if it's a card without a battery to open doors and drive away.
Mine doesn’t do anything with the fob battery removed… 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: legendsk
There are two types of key fob, with different labels.

MODEL 3 the old style, requires a button push to unlock
TESLA the new style, walk up to unlock

I have both.
They both work like key cards without a battery.

If you have just locked or unlocked the car some other way. you may need to wait a minute before using the fob on the pillar.

Reactions: E90alex
Stupid, IT style question:

You are tapping on the driver’s side B just below the camera, right?

If you’re tapping on the passenger side because you like to stow your gear somewhere before getting in and driving, there’s no sensor on that side.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Stupid, IT style question:

You are tapping on the driver’s side B just below the camera, right?

If you’re tapping on the passenger side because you like to stow your gear somewhere before getting in and driving, there’s no sensor on that side.
Yep tapping where you would tap the key card on the drivers side. Key card works fine but the fob doesn’t.

Reactions: skygraff
you sure? the old s/x fob was put somewhere on the windscreen when battery was empty?
In theory, older S/X fobs should work without a battery, but I tested my brand new 2012 Model S and brand new 2017 Model X multiple times by following the manuals' instructions, and they never worked. So, for practical purposes, get a 2021 production year or later (not a 2021 model year produced in 2020) to get that theory to work.

I been following along this thread wondering what the resolution was, have not had time to test my own keyfobs. I also have one of each thats available for model 3, a non passive old one, and a newer passive one. I dont use either (both are in a drawer actually) but I will try to get around to testing it as well.

Reactions: E90alex
In theory, older S/X fobs should work without a battery, but I tested my brand new 2012 Model S and brand new 2017 Model X multiple times by following the manuals' instructions, and they never worked. So, for practical purposes, get a 2021 production year or later (not a 2021 model year produced in 2020) to get that theory to work.
Yes, I think the location is supposed to be somewhere under the driver side door? I remember looking it up one time. I probably should try it one time when my fob's battery needs to be changed. The only thing about that is that it will only let you into the car, but I don't think you could drive it with a dead key fob with the older Model S/X. I do have the spared batteries for the fobs in my house... maybe I should keep them in the car LOL.