Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 FOBs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I buy a fob in a box marked Model 3 will it work with a model Y?
Were there more than one version of Model 3 FOBs?
Are all Model 3 FOBs blue tooth?
Was there an earlier version that was not Bluetooth?
(Sorry for multiple ways to ask this question I wasn’t sure how to ask it.)

I have the first version of the Model 3 fob, generally referred to as "non-passive" and purchased in Nov. 2018. It requires an active push of a button to send the radio signal to the car for locking/unlocking. I previously thought that it was operating in the 315Mhz band but digging around for FCC certification reports, I've found that the frequency range is 2.4Ghz, making it Bluetooth. The FCC report also says it's "Car Key Fob with BLE" (Bluetooth Low Energy). This is confirmed by a marking on one of the chips inside "CC2640Q1", which is manufactured by Texas Instruments as a "SimpleLink™ Bluetooth ® Low Energy Wireless MCU for Automotive" device.

If you look at the External Photos, Internal Photos and Label Info links you will see what's in the FCC report is what I have:

tesla_model_3_nonpassive_fob.jpg

The second generation of fob for the Model 3 is a passive design. Meaning that it operates in a similar manner as a phone key it that you can simply approach your vehicle and it will (should) recognize the proximity of the fob and automatically unlock the car. You can tell the difference by looking at the underside of the fob. The non-passive design is marked "Model 3" (like above) and the passive design has "TESLA".

For completeness, here's the FCC report on the passive fob (I couldn't access it yesterday after I posted the response above as their servers apparently went offline):

Device is a Key Fob and the frequency range is listed as 2.4Ghz (Bluetooth) and 6.5-8Ghz (H-band).

The Ext Photos section shows that this version has a TESLA logo on the bottom:

1708105602344.png

All of the FCC certification reports for Tesla can be found here:

Reactions: 6 Bits
If I buy a fob in a box marked Model 3 will it work with a model Y?
Were there more than one version of Model 3 FOBs?
Are all Model 3 FOBs blue tooth?
Was there an earlier version that was not Bluetooth?
(Sorry for multiple ways to ask this question I wasn’t sure how to ask it.)
Yes it will. I use my Model 3 fob with Dad's Model Y. I have the older passive Model 3 Fob and the newer active 3/Y Fob. Both work with both 3 and Y.

Reactions: 6 Bits