Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed and mounted Michelin Defender 2 in the size of 235/60R18. Adding my notes here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my initial impressions and first 1,000 miles on an oversized set of 235/60R18 tires on the Model Y.

Ride quality has been overall improved. It’s not Mercedes S-class level of plush or quiet, but it’s much more compliant and muted than before. There’s a clear “pang” sound at highway speeds on big bumps—similar to an overinflated basketball being thrown down. Other than this sound, everything else is more quiet. I’m very happy with the ride. The extra 0.6” ride height is noticeable when getting in and out, but it’s neither a pro or a con.

Handling is as normal as it ever was for me. I do not drive aggressively since I have Tesla insurance, and I avoid hard turns, braking. I do, however, mash on the accelerator completely and frequently which feels unchanged. It has thunderstormed only once, and the tires have not lost traction once.

Looks are subjective, but these tires definitely look goofy. The aftermarket aero covers conceal the 18” rims well enough.

Efficiency. My TeslaMate efficiency has gone down by 1.3% overall, but the tires are 4% bigger (meaning miles are under-reported by the same amount), so instead of losing any efficiency, I’ve gained 2.7%~.

Speedometer is 1.5% lower than actual. When I set cruise control at 75, GPS shows 76-77. The tires are 4% larger in diameter compared to stock, so that tells me the speedometer in a stock setup is underreporting by ~3%.

I’d do it again 100%!

IMG_5793.jpeg
IMG_5790.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg
IMG_5789.jpeg
IMG_5787.jpeg

You should get a long life out of those tires.

Question: Is the Defender not available in 235/50-18 or 235/55-18? The closest "correct" 18" fitment for these cars is 245/50-18, so you're just about two steps higher in height. I recall seeing another member run this size in the Defender as well, so I'm thinking it's just an availability issue...

You should get a long life out of those tires.

Question: Is the Defender not available in 235/50-18 or 235/55-18? The closest "correct" 18" fitment for these cars is 245/50-18, so you're just about two steps higher in height. I recall seeing another member run this size in the Defender as well, so I'm thinking it's just an availability issue...
They were definitely available in 235/55R18 which, yup, is still a little oversized. I’m not sure if they come in the 50 aspect ratio.

I specifically wanted the highest possible sidewall (without any suspension upgrades) to experience any ride quality improvements first hand. I had Discount Tire do the initial test fit to check clearance with the front knuckle which passed, no problems.

Hoping to get lots of miles with these tires. I only get about half the treadlife that’s advertised on my model 3, so I assume the same will happen with my Y.

Looks like that tire is only about an inch bigger in diameter than the performance 21” wheels and tires, and the perf cars are lowered, so you’ve probably got a half an inch more clearance than the perf tires in reality.

The bigger worry I have is going from all the OEM tires at 255 width down to 235 width. I had defenders on my last car and they’re definitely sticky tires, especially in the rain, but I’d be curious to see some proper 0-60, 60-0 testing.

I’d also hazard a guess that your more or less unchanged efficiency is due to that narrower tire/contact patch and filling out the wheel well more for even lower aero drag across the side of the car.

Here’s a chart comparing the sizes to the OEM performance tire.

This is an interesting post.
I have a 2022 M 3 P. I have a 2022 Model 3 Performance. It has stock OEM Pirelli P Zero Summer Performance Tires Size: 235/35R20. I have about 18,000 miles now. So not far down the road, I'm due for new tires.
The road noise bothers me. It's a big deal to me. I've done ample noise reduction in the car. But it's got road suspension type noise on rough pavement. I've even changed the shocks to a softer adjustable shock but it's not helping. My hearing is very sensitive. I'd like to tone it down.

I didn't want to replace the 20" wheels with 18" wheels because it's thousands of dollars to do that.

I thought instead I'd simply get AS All Season tires. They say they are quieter than the summer performance. But I didn't consider getting a taller aspect ratio at the same time. If I replaced my tires with Size: 245/40R20, which is the next size taller in the tire brand I'm looking at: Bridgestone POTENZA SPORT AS. I would be taller and wider than stock.

The changes in size would result in this change in diameter. DIAMETER Inch 26.48 to 27.72 or an increase of 4.68%
It would mess up the speedometer. I don't know if it would create other issues as well. I don't know if it would clear the fender wheels in all turning situtations or not.

I also don't know if a place like COSTCO would sell and install tires not specified by the manufacturer.

But it should run quieter.
Thoughts?