Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed my tablet on a dash mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my solution. Using Samsung Dex on my Note 10+. I just plug my phone into the USB like I'm charging it and throw it in the mount.
I have full control of my phone and all apps in a desktop format on the 13.3" touchscreen monitor.
I don't feel bad leaving the monitor in there 24/7 and connecting my phone when I get in.
I was using my iPad before, but I never wanted to leave it in there and it got annoying having to remove and install it every time.
- Which touchscreen monitor do you use?
- What kind of dongle do you use between your phone and the monitor?
- What kind of mount do you use to hold the Note 10 and the monitor?
- What phone holder do you use on the passenger side?

Note: Baby is cute!

Last edited:
Here's my solution. Using Samsung Dex on my Note 10+. I just plug my phone into the USB like I'm charging it and throw it in the mount. I have full control of my phone and all apps in a desktop format on the 13.3" touchscreen monitor. I don't feel bad leaving the monitor in there 24/7 and connecting my phone when I get in. I was using my iPad before, but I never wanted to leave it in there and it got annoying having to remove and install it every time.
View attachment 545841 View attachment 545842

Mate, can you post the hardware you used (even the phone mount), the monitor and the instal process? this is kinda clean looking.

Mate, can you post the hardware you used (even the phone mount), the monitor and the instal process? this is kinda clean looking.

- Which touchscreen monitor do you use?
- What kind of dongle do you use between your phone and the monitor?
- What kind of mount do you use to hold the Note 10 and the monitor?
- What phone holder do you use on the passenger side?

Note: Baby is cute!

My last phone/phablet (Note 9) didn’t fit in the OEM tray in the center console, so I removed the tray because it was just in the way. I always make sure that every modification I do can be easily restored back to the original condition, because I hate having non-OEM holes left in dash and body parts. I did have to drill 4 holes with self-tapping screws for this install, but the holes are located behind the stock cell phone tray that I could easily re-install and cover up the holes.

Install:

The tray is easily removed with the 2 torx screws that are located under the tray when lifted up. There are also about 5 metal retaining clips that hold the tray in place after removing the screws. You can just pull the tray toward the rear of the vehicle after the screws are out, and the panel clips will pop out.

I screwed the tablet holder/mount into the plastic using 4 self-tapping screws, and used 3M double sided adhesive between the mount and center console to really get a solid mount that won’t allow the tablet or monitor to shake.

The phone mount just suctions to the back of the Tesla display screen, and you can move it toward the top or bottom as needed. I’ll post updated pictures when I get the new phone mount and cable, and it’s set up exactly how I want it.

Parts:

This is the monitor I’m using. I have both the 15.6 inch version with built in battery, and this 13.3 inch version with no battery. The 15.6 was just too big for that area, and I prefer the one without the battery for my use as well. I leave the monitor on whenever I unplug my phone, and it goes to sleep until I get back in and it senses a signal from my phone when it’s plugged back in. This makes it really convenient to use. All I do is plug my phone in and I’m ready to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086V3CLM9/

Here’s the mount for the monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KB19JCW/

This is the phone mount I’m using in the pictures. It works, and I like the way it automatically adjusts to grab your phone when you place it in there, but I’m switching to a magnetic mount that I’m hoping will work better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076B27WP6/

Anker 4 port hub, (not required unless you actually need the extra ports)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L32B9C2/

This is the suction phone mount I just ordered that uses a magnetic mount for the phone, and allows you to adjust the angles more than the one I’m using now, which is too limited for what I want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XD2HZQ5/

Here is the cable I just ordered to replace the one I’m using in the pictures. I wanted to switch to a cable with angled connections so they don’t get in the way or get bumped easily. Angled USB-C to USB-C cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083S6FMW7/

For the cable to power the monitor, you can use any USB type A to USB type C cable, but I chose to use this angled one that I bought a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078BP51KT/

So far I’m really happy with it after trying a few other ways that just weren’t as convenient. This allows me to use my phone’s data plan with un-throttled speeds since it’s straight through the phone. I really like the Samsung Dex feature, and that’s what really makes this setup useful. Hopefully other phone manufacturers start doing the same. I can easily control all of the apps on my phone and use Waze, Google Chrome, Youtube, Netflix, music apps, and it’s all easy to do from a large screen.

Note: Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few pictures of how the mounts are attached and the USB hub I'm using. The passenger phone mount is just a Scosche magnet stuck to a mount that I 3D printed. I also placed a 2 tiny sections of weather-strip on the 2 bottom tabs of the tablet mount to keep it from scratching the center console. I can still access the center console if I remove the monitor from the mount and adjust the mount to the smallest setting. I don't use that space very often though, so I never have to deal with moving everything out of the way.
20200529_174146.jpg
20200529_174206.jpg

Attachments

• 20200529_174255.jpg
    20200529_174255.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200529_174354.jpg
    20200529_174354.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200529_174421.jpg
    20200529_174421.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200529_174600.jpg
    20200529_174600.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 117
Here are some photos of what I've done. I prefer and use the tesLAX app as it enables you to customize the signals that show on the screen. And IMHO the screen display is better than Scan My Tesla. Previously I was using Scan My Tesla with an Android tablet, but when I tesLAX launched its iOS version I made the switch to that app and now use it with a 7th gen iPad mounted on the dash so the screen shows cleary through the jet pilot steering wheel. I also use it for Waze nav and other things I need to use frequently. I mounted the screen on a hinged stand and use velcro to attach it. To hide the wires I used a type C wireless receiver with a wireless charger, as one of the photos shows. I'm not satisfied with the Velcro attachments so I'm looking to change it to a magnetic mount that provides more flexibility.

NZDleRwEQEK%7ujnl6qAaQ.jpg

oKCqc8qWS%O9xFnWJ785Og.jpg

0pByMU3cTbOwsNi+r8UwJQ.jpg

fj5Edzi8TQ6dprRCWrTJ9g.jpg

Here are some photos of what I've done. I prefer and use the tesLAX app as it enables you to customize the signals that show on the screen. And IMHO the screen display is better than Scan My Tesla. Previously I was using Scan My Tesla with an Android tablet, but when I tesLAX launched its iOS version I made the switch to that app and now use it with a 7th gen iPad mounted on the dash so the screen shows cleary through the jet pilot steering wheel. I also use it for Waze nav and other things I need to use frequently. I mounted the screen on a hinged stand and use velcro to attach it. To hide the wires I used a type C wireless receiver with a wireless charger, as one of the photos shows. I'm not satisfied with the Velcro attachments so I'm looking to change it to a magnetic mount that provides more flexibility.

View attachment 568011

View attachment 568012

View attachment 568013

View attachment 568014
That turned out nice, I like the location of it. I had my 11 inch iPad mounted under the screen before and ran the TesLAX app on it.
20200402_144731.jpg

Reactions: KenC